8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2018 7:32 AM by BluShadow

What happened to Sybrand?

stuartm

Is he still around?

• 1. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
          Timo Hahn

No, he's not around anymore, at least not under this name.

Timo

• 2. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
            jgarry

Looks like he dropped off the net around 2 years ago.  Perhaps he turned his attention to music.

• 3. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
              Dude!

Why are you asking?

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 10.39.59 PM.jpg

If you are looking for any posts, you an still browse the profile and review the content:

sybrand_b

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 10.39.04 PM.jpg

• 4. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
                stuartm

While looking up an issue on google I stumbled across a post of his with some very 'right-wing', shall we say, views in. I searched on the forum and couldn't find any recent posts, it made me wonder whether he'd been kicked off for racism or whatever. Was just curious tbh.

• 5. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
                  Dude!

As far as I understand, "deactivated" means kicked. As for the reason, who knows. I remember that his responses where often rude and people posted petitions against him. Shall we discuss this further? Probably best not to.

• 6. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
                    jgarry

Yes, other people have complained or even refused to use the forum because they've googled and found something icky.  Sybrand was around for a very long time on usenet, and was one of those who gave very good answers if the questions were technical and of sufficient quality.  Usenet is unmoderated, so one has to accept there will be a lot of flamage and garbage.  I do not accept those political views, though I can understand them - in the US, we certainly have to deal with them all the time these days, and in the Netherlands or whereever he was, there is a similar range of views.  If you see things like everybody getting fired and then see the offshore replacement asking stupid simple questions online, of course you might resent those people.  I've seen it happen with H1-B's; my view has long been, they're just regular smart computer people trying to get ahead, it's the shady companies they work for that are the problem.  Other people aren't so sanguine, and go off on racist rants, even if they're otherwise decent people.

I've appreciated the relatively hands-off moderation these fora have done, certainly when I've had to be admonished I've deserved it. My general liberal bent tells me to leave the sorta-bad old stuff, whitewashing history makes people forget it and perpetuates the problem.

• 7. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
                      Dude!

In the past, if you wanted to insult someone, you either had to do it personally, use a bullhorn or find a publisher to support your accusations. Not anymore, all your pathetic thoughts, jokes and opinions are published to the whole world at your fingertip. You can sit at home on your sofa, enjoy your beverage and virtually commit a crime. And from what I read in the news even get prosecuted for it.

I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten is a very good idea. To me it is a question of principle and fairness. After all, we are private individuals here and not governments, institutions or corporations.

• 8. Re: What happened to Sybrand?
                        BluShadow

Dude! wrote:

As far as I understand, "deactivated" means kicked. As for the reason, who knows. I remember that his responses where often rude and people posted petitions against him. Shall we discuss this further? Probably best not to.

Not always.  Sometimes people ask for their account to be deactivated i.e. they've moved jobs and created another account etc.

As you say, it's best not to try and speculate on the reasons why a person has actually been deactivated.  Either people were around at the time and have a good idea, or they weren't and it doesn't really matter; all we'd end up with is lots of opinions and speculation about somebody who isn't here to give their side of things.

So, yes, let's leave it at that shall we.