1 2 3 4 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2018 6:55 PM by Dude!

Is Oracle reorganizing the community?

Dude!

I noticed that there have been some changes to the welcome page. Well, I'm glad that I no longer have to close the "take a tour" banner several times a day, as I don't save cookies. I also prefer the new (old) logo.

But what happened to the Oracle Developer Community? When I open the Oracle Developer Community, I see a only a few spaces. Where do all these forums, like RMAN, Database Installation, etc, belong to now? Are they still considered Developer Community? It's not that I think it was a good idea, but I wouldn't mind knowing whether I'm "Dude! @ Oracle Developer Community", or " Dude! @ something else".

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
          Dude!

Well, I suppose "Dude! @ Oracle Community" will do.

• 2. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
            BluShadow

Well, it shows as "Developer Community" from what I can see (maybe changed since you posted?)

I can still see the subspaces in the burger menu, so things are still there.  Maybe they temporarily dropped off while things were updated.

• 3. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
              Chitrasai1-Oracle

Hi Dude!

As I already gave a heads up  in the idea A Different Welcome Message - Community Agenda about revamping the home page re-design .Christina is working on this to change the look and feel of the welcome page .We are trying to make the community welcome page look better .

In Hamburger menu you can still see all the spaces and sub spaces.Not to worry You are still same Dude! at Oracle community .

• 4. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                Dude!

Here's what I see:

Developer Community is shown as an option to choose, similar to other communities:

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 1.44.19 PM.jpg

Upon choosing the Developer Community, some spaces are shown, none of which refer to the usual Oracle product forums:

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 1.46.05 PM.jpg

Therefore I was wondering if the Developer Community has been changed and unlike before, is no longer governing all product forums.

• 5. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                  BluShadow

Ah I think I see what you're saying...

The Welcome page is (now) clearly a portal that helps get you to the correct community, Oracle Developer Community, My Oracle Support Community, TopLiners etc.

Once you click on Developer Community, you're inside that, but all the product spaces are not Sub-Spaces of that as we'd expect.  Those product spaces are only accessible via the burger menu at the top of the Page.

Agree with you, it seems a bit messed up.

• 6. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                    Dude!

The Oracle mills are obviously grinding very slowly. FWIW, I find the new welcome page much cleaner and better organized than the previous, so far.

However, I wouldn't put the primary focus on the WIT forum. Other people will have different perceptions, but I read from left to right and WIT is the first I notice when seeing the welcome page.

You cannot detach the WIT forum from political affairs pertaining gender equality. In particular, in light of current political news and affairs, and headlines on social media. I'm afraid it doesn't make the Oracle community appear as a forerunner, but rather taking advantage of the political landscape.

Legitimate reasons and motives arguably vary among country, culture and media, but it remains to be a social matter, personal perception, upbringing and opportunity, regardless. It is not easy to draw a line between gender inequality and the emasculating of language and society, which isn't good news for everyone.

At the risk of not making friends with bees and queens here, I find it questionable, to say the least, to make people joining the community aware of gender politics, and to make people who are already participating potential supporters of it, or subject to it. I don't mind WIT, by all means, but I wouldn't put it on the front page. This isn't the same ball game like product marketing.

• 7. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                      BluShadow

Well, I don't think the WIT part is "primary focus", it's in the sidelines.  But it's an important part of modern technology issues, and clearly something Oracle is keen to keep in focus.  I don't see any problem with it being where it is.  Certainly we wouldn't want to bury such things out of sight.

• 8. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                        Dude!

Primary focus or not, it's hard to miss, which is not by coincidence. But regardless of it, it doesn't change the gender based opportunity and marketing aspect. It's arguably a social and not a technical aspect.

If the decision makers of the Oracle community want to emphasize its social agenda, I think there are better ways to address the topic, without splitting people based on gender at the main entrance.

I haven't given it too much thoughts and have other things on my mind right now, but I think it would be better to have a space for general social issues in technology, which governs all sorts of ethnic or personal concerns, where gender and WIT can be part of it, or a subspace for closer topic alignment, technically speaking.

• 9. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                          DanielD7777

I think it is, Oracle is always innovating and improving.

• 10. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                            EdStevens

DanielD7777 wrote:

I think it is, Oracle is always innovating and improving.

Well, changing anyway.  Whether or not it is "innovating" is debateable.  "Improving", even more debatable.

• 11. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                              Dude!

Innovating and improving are nothing special. Any corporation will arguably try to do what's necessary to create more revenue and hence the products or services they sell will have to improve. It's self-serving and perpetual and will continue as long as IT is considered the future and worth investing. The latest trick is to sell products as a service.

I think the more interesting argument is whether the result and what we do is prudent or reasonable.

• 12. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                                BluShadow

Dude! wrote:

Primary focus or not, it's hard to miss, which is not by coincidence. But regardless of it, it doesn't change the gender based opportunity and marketing aspect. It's arguably a social and not a technical aspect.

If the decision makers of the Oracle community want to emphasize its social agenda, I think there are better ways to address the topic, without splitting people based on gender at the main entrance.

I haven't given it too much thoughts and have other things on my mind right now, but I think it would be better to have a space for general social issues in technology, which governs all sorts of ethnic or personal concerns, where gender and WIT can be part of it, or a subspace for closer topic alignment, technically speaking.

I don't think people are 'split' based on gender at the main entrance.  If people aren't interested in that topic then they can choose not to follow it, just as people who aren't interested in, for example, TopLiners, won't visit that community.  If people find themselves feeling 'split' then perhaps they need to address why they feel that way.

As for putting it down in some sub space somewhere is like saying it shouldn't be visible and should be hidden away.

I'm sorry, but if Oracle wants to show it supports Women in Technology then there's no problem with it having a prominent place on the Welcome page.  That in no way excludes male participation, and it would be foolish to perceive it as such.

• 13. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                                  Dude!

After all, stupidity and foolishness of people is perhaps the only thing you can really rely on.

Gender topics are always political and controversial. There is nothing wrong to support women in technology, but in light of political movements worldwide, this is not necessarily the information that people may understand or associate these days.

• 14. Re: Is Oracle reorganizing the community?
                                    John Stegeman
                                    Gender topics are always political and controversial

Not in my experience. I suspect that 99% of people who see the WIT group on the front page have one of these reactions:

• Huh, that's nice.
                                    • Wow that's great - I want to be involved.
                                    • <silence>

Where it becomes political or controversial is when gender or (fill in anything other than skill) is used to discriminate. I saw a job posting on LinkedIn within the past few months where the recruiter (a female) specified that they were looking for a Male accountant (I think it was an accountant, I could be wrong, but that's not relevant). I called the recruiter out in the comments and sent a message to the CEO of the company. Never heard a thing back though.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next