7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 2:58 PM by jkinninger

Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7

jkinninger

We are primarily running SUSE but I do have several RHEL 7 servers that I am looking to migrate to OL. I will be migrating the SUSE servers eventually so we are only running OL but those will be new OL builds with the applications being reinstalled and data migrated over. For the Red Hat servers I was told there was a simple migration from RHEL 7 to OL 7 but cannot find the process to do so. I thought I could use the centos2ol.sh script but that just gave me You appear to be running an unsupported distribution. For assistance, please email <ksplice-support_ww@oracle.com> error message. My current RHEL 7 servers are being managed by SUSE Manager which is similar to Spacewalk and once I get these migrated to OL 7 I will be bootstrapping them into Oracle's Spacewalk to manage them. What I can't figure out is what do I need to do to get my RHEL 7 servers converted? I found a few docs while Googling but they talk about subscription-manager which I am not using as SUSE is providing the support for these RHEL servers.

• 1. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
          Avi Miller-Oracle

As your RHEL boxes are not subscribed to RHN/RHSM, there is no need to convert them. Just point them towards Oracle yum repos (whether managed by Oracle Spacewalk or SUSE Manager) and you're good to go.

For reference, the official switch process from RHN to ULN is here: https://linux.oracle.com/switch.html

• 2. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
            jkinninger

I tried that but the system doesn't get updated.

When I run yum udpate after changing the repo files to just the public-yum-ol7.repo it goes through the motions but then ends with this, small subset to show the end:

--> Package yum.noarch 0:3.4.3-158.0.1.el7 will be an update

---> Package yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.31-42.el7 will be updated

---> Package yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.31-45.0.2.el7 will be an update

--> Running transaction check

---> Package lz4.x86_64 0:1.7.5-2.el7 will be installed

---> Package oraclelinux-release.x86_64 7:7.5-1.0.5.el7 will be installed

---> Package python-ipaddress.noarch 0:1.0.16-2.el7 will be installed

---> Package rhnlib.noarch 0:2.5.65-7.0.1.el7 will be installed

--> Processing Conflict: initscripts-9.49.41-1.0.3.el7.x86_64 conflicts redhat-release < 7.5-0.11

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

---> Package initscripts.x86_64 0:9.49.39-1.el7_4.1 will be updated

---> Package initscripts.x86_64 0:9.49.39-1.el7_4.1 will be updated

---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:3.10.0-693.17.1.el7 will be erased

--> Processing Conflict: initscripts-9.49.41-1.0.3.el7.x86_64 conflicts redhat-release < 7.5-0.11

Error: initscripts conflicts with sles_es-release-server-7.4-18.el7.x86_64

You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I put everything back and run yum update and get this:

tar                                                   x86_64                   2:1.26-34.el7                                 susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      845 k
            teamd                                                 x86_64                   1.27-4.el7                                    susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      111 k
            tuned                                                 noarch                   2.9.0-1.el7                                   susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      243 k
            tzdata                                                noarch                   2018e-3.el7                                   susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      481 k
            util-linux                                            x86_64                   2.23.2-52.el7                                 susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      2.0 M
            vim-minimal                                           x86_64                   2:7.4.160-4.el7                               susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      436 k
            virt-what                                             x86_64                   1.18-4.el7                                    susemanager:res7-x86_64                                       28 k
            wpa_supplicant                                        x86_64                   1:2.6-9.el7                                   susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      1.2 M
            xfsprogs                                              x86_64                   4.5.0-15.el7                                  susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      895 k
            yum                                                   noarch                   3.4.3-158.el7                                 susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      1.2 M
            yum-utils                                             noarch                   1.1.31-45.el7                                 susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      119 k

Removing:

kernel                                                x86_64                   3.10.0-693.17.1.el7                           @susemanager:res7-x86_64                                      60 M

Installing for dependencies:

lz4                                                   x86_64                   1.7.5-2.el7                                   susemanager:res7-x86_64                                       97 k
            python-ipaddress                                      noarch                   1.0.16-2.el7                                  susemanager:res7-x86_64                                       34 k

Transaction Summary

=================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Install2 Packages (+2 Dependent packages)

Upgrade  176 Packages

Remove 1 Package

Total size: 235 M

Total download size: 65 M

Is this ok [y/d/N]: N

Exiting on user command

Your transaction was saved, rerun it with:

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2018-05-17.08-33.enm4BW.yumtx

• 3. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
              Tommy.Reynolds-Oracle

Never, mind, Avi was quicker than I (Thanks, Avi!); must learn to refresh the page...  Anyway, I'll leave the below for hysterical reasons.

Red Hat servers require a different mechanism than does CentOS to switch their YUM repositories over to the Oracle Linux repos.  The full description may be found at https://linux.oracle.com/switch.html as well as the method for CentOS.

In either case, the tool changes the /etc/yum.repos.d repositories to Oracle and then does a bit of clean-up since some Red Hat-specific RPM packages are replaced with Oracle-branded packages.

After the switch-over tool has finished a:

# yum update

completes the change-over.

Are you referring to the YaST package manager?  I suspect you will need to manually disconnect that.  Once upon a time there was an Oracle port of YaST available at https://oss.oracle.com/ but seems to have dropped off the edge of the universe.

• 4. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
                Avi Miller-Oracle

You may need to just yum update oraclelinux-release first before a full yum update will work.

• 5. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
                  jkinninger

yum update oraclelinux-release

Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager, susemanagerplugin, yumnotify

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

Package(s) oraclelinux-release available, but not installed.

No packages marked for update

[root@vmjkrhell2t yum.repos.d]# yum install oraclelinux-release

Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager, susemanagerplugin, yumnotify

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

Resolving Dependencies

---> Package oraclelinux-release.x86_64 7:7.5-1.0.5.el7 will be installed

Dependencies Resolved

=================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Package                                                  Arch                                        Version                                              Repository                                       Size

Installing:

oraclelinux-release                                      x86_64                                      7:7.5-1.0.5.el7                                      ol7_latest                                       58 k

Transaction Summary

Install  1 Package

Total download size: 58 k

Installed size: 381 k

Is this ok [y/d/N]: y

Downloading packages:

warning: /var/cache/yum/x86_64/7Server/ol7_latest/packages/oraclelinux-release-7.5-1.0.5.el7.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID ec551f03: NOKEY                ]  0.0 B/s |    0 B  --:--:-- ETA

Public key for oraclelinux-release-7.5-1.0.5.el7.x86_64.rpm is not installed

oraclelinux-release-7.5-1.0.5.el7.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                              |  58 kB  00:00:00

Retrieving key from file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 14] curl#37 - "Couldn't open file /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle"

• 6. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
                    Avi Miller-Oracle

Whoops. I totally forgot about our GPG key.   Run this:

# cd /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/

# wget -O- -q https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle

That will download our GPG key into the right place for yum to pick it up.

• 7. Re: Red Hat 7 migration to Oracle Linux 7
                      jkinninger

Here is what I had to do and it appears I am golden now.

I removed the *.repo files that were currently in /etc/yum.reps.d to /tmp

Downloaded the public-yum-ol7.repo (wget http://yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol7.repo)

Remove SLES package for expanded support (rpm -e --nodeps sles_es-release-server)

Imported Oracle GPG key (rpm --import https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle)

yum install oraclelinux-release

yum update

Updated RHEL 7 with SUSE Expanded Support to Oracle Linux 7

Thanks alot for all the assistance!