1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2019 1:06 PM by 0beecd70-e872-4ded-a79c-571d1ce6bda7

Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio

Max9190

whene I run the installer, I got this error

ODTforVS2015_122011_2018-05-21_08-54-39.png

What can I do to install Oracle Developer Tools?

• 1. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
          Christian.Shay -Oracle

This dialog is a new feature we added due to all the problems that old versions cause when not uninstalled.

To uninstall ODT, first check the control panel, Programs and Features, and see if Oracle Developer Tools is showing up there. If it is there, click to uninstall.

If it is not there, check your start menu for Oracle items and find the Oracle Installer. Run it and look for Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio listed as a product. Then uninstall it.

If you still cannot uninstall it, let me know and I will see if there is a way to force an uninstall.

• 2. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
            Max9190

Hi , I try your solution

Oracle Developer Tools is not in the control panel and I cant find the Oracle Installer in my start menu

I run this exe to install

explorer_2018-05-23_14-36-29.png

thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
              Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi,

I am still looking for a way to manually uninstall ODT without the installer. In the meantime can you please confirm that you looked for the Oracle Universal Installer on your machine?

Find 'Oracle Home' in the start menu and then navigate to 'Universal Installer'  or 'Oracle Installer ' and run it. Then uninstall Oraclew Developer Tool for Visual Studio.

For example, on my machine I would navigate to,

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle - <OracleHomeName>\Oracle Installation Products

and launch 'Universal Installer' from there.

Alternatively, either thru File explorer or from command prompt, run setup.exe from the oracle home.

For example,

D:\app\client\username\product\12.2.0\client_1\oui\bin

• 4. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                Max9190

Hi I found my installer

javaw_2018-05-24_09-09-19.png

But I cant find the Oracle Developer Tool for Visual Studio in my installer

• 5. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                  Christian.Shay -Oracle

Ok, here is what I suggest:

Go to Visual Studio 2015 menu -> Help --> About

There you should see the version numbers of all the add ins to Visual Studio.

Scroll down the list of addins and find Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio, and make a note of the exact version.

Then go to the OTN Download page and find that version of Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio. Install it, and then uninstall it. Check to make sure it is no longer listed in Help->About in VS 2015 menus. After uninstalling it, try to reinstall the 12.2 ODT again.

Oracle .NET Software Downloads

If you have trouble with the above, you can try installing and uninstalling ANY version of ODT earlier than 12.2.0.1.1. For example 12.2.0.1.0. Those older versions should overwrite the software you have installed and then when they uninstall you should have a relatively clean environment.

(For those reading this later on who are using VS 2017, there should be easier ways to uninstall ODT in VS 2017 without using the method above.)

• 6. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                    Chakosci

Im also facing this issue right now, initially i've successfully installed ODTforVS2017_122011.exe but facing some issues in VS2017 Pro during creation of entity data model, I read some fixes and said that I need to reinstall ODT.

I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall ODTforVS2017_122011 but now it says that it is still installed on my unit.

I've followed the steps you provided but still no luck, anyway to force install?

TIA

• 7. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                      b2eb25e4-a134-4031-85be-ece1e80231df

I have this problem too, I uninstalled VS2015 enterprise and reinstalled VS2015 pro, now the Oracle developer tools are broken and I get this message when I try to install.  I uninstalled oracle client 12 win 32.  I don't have Oracle developer tools listed in the add/remove programs of windows nor do I have them in the addins in the VS 2015 about form.  I don't know what to do, the only thing I can think of is reimaging the workstation.

• 8. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                        Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi,

Sorry you are hitting this issue. If you get a message that Oracle Developer Tools (ODT) is already installed, please make sure to:

1) Close all running instances of Visual Studio.

2) Check Add/Remove Programs and try to find "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" listed there. If it is there, uninstall it.

3) Check your Windows Start menu for Oracle Home menu entries. In each one, run Oracle Universal Installer and look for "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" listed as an installed product. If you find it, then Remove it using the installer.

4) Try to reinstall ODT into new directory.

Failing this, your installation might be damaged. To allow ODT to be installed again, please close all instances of Visual Studio and do the following:

For Visual Studio 2015:

Please delete registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Packages\{D601BB95-E404-4a8e-9F24-5C1A462426CE}

For Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise:

CD into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE

execute:

VSIXInstaller.exe /skuName:Enterprise /skuVersion:15.0 /quiet /admin /uninstall:Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0

For VS2017 Professional:

CD into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE

execute:

VSIXInstaller.exe /skuName:Pro /skuVersion:15.0 /quiet /admin /uninstall:Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0

For VS2017 Community:

CD into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE

execute:

VSIXInstaller.exe /skuName:Community /skuVersion:15.0 /quiet /admin /uninstall:Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0

Note:

Above examples assume that VS2017 is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017.

If you installed VS2017 into a different location, CD into the appropriate location and then execute the VSIXInstaller.exe command.

After doing the above, close all instances of Visual Studio and reinstall into a new directory.

• 9. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                          5d68ba22-8ecb-425a-a2f5-d0a67718001f

Unfortunately, this fix did not work for me. Is there anything else that can be done to remove this issue?

• 10. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                            Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi,

You are new to this thread so I need some more details:

1) What version of VS are you using? (go to help->about and provide exact version)

2) What is the version of ODT you are now trying to install and what link did you use to get it?

3) What old version of ODT was originally on your system?

4) Did you try to uninstall the old version of ODT before you started this new install of ODT?

5) Which of my fixes above did you attempt?

6) What error are you getting that makes you say it "did not work"?

• 11. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                              nswandel

I had similar issues and found that though it was not in the control panel and there was no installer to uninstall, I found it in VS-> Tools -> Extensions and Updates and uninstalled it from there.

I also found that installer uninstalls do not clean up directories or the GAC on my machine, though they consistently do on my coworkers.

• 12. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                                Christian.Shay -Oracle

nswandel wrote:

I had similar issues and found that though it was not in the control panel and there was no installer to uninstall, I found it in VS-> Tools -> Extensions and Updates and uninstalled it from there.

Hi, that is another option. The VSIXInstaller.exe commands I listed above do the same uninstall. However, note that in the case VS 2015  (NOT VS 2017) we check the registry, so if that registry entry still exists after doing the uninstall, you will get the "already installed" message.

If anyone is still having this problem after using my "force uninstall" steps above, please provide the answers to the questions I asked in my previous post.

• 13. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                                  user2515746

I've been having this issue all week and never knew version 12.2.1.0 was even on my machine. After uninstalling it then installing version 18 I'm now connected via the wizard and hopefully will move past the error I've been receiving to date which is  Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client.OracleConnection is invalid. However, it took my 3 days to even find this message thread and install which could have resolved my issues day one had I known about it. Please make sure this is widely available because on the downloads page I used, its nowhere to be found. Hopefully this will lead to me resolving this entire issue for what should have been a very simple process, connecting Oracle to Entity Framework.

• 14. Re: Unable to install Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio
                                    Rob Clarke

Hi I am trying to install ODT for VS2107 and it says its already installed.

its not in the programs or in the vs add ins, or in my start menu.

I have never used Oracle with my machine before so I am surprised.

I did "install" SQL plus from the instant client (there's no installer just a exe).

Actually Im just trying to use SSRS with an Oracle database, and whilst the datasource connects properly,whenever I try and add a "select" statement to it it just responds "system.data.oracleclient requires oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater". My SSRS server has version 12 on it, and connects via SQL plus. My machine has instant client 18.5 on it, and connects via SQL plus.

I've tried all the 'fixes' for permissions on the SSRS server on the oracle_home... very frustrating...

Any suggestions?

1 2 Previous Next