6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2018 4:59 PM by NickR2600-Oracle

Additional Feedback

NickR2600-Oracle

We hope you've enjoyed Java Puzzle Ball and the Coding and Concepts MOOC!  Please use this space to provide any additional feedback (the kind of commentary that wouldn't fit on a multiple choice survey).

• 1. Re: Additional Feedback

Great job, NickR2600-Oracle!  I enjoyed the MOOC and learned more about Oracle in the process.  I've recently taken https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn  and https://www.coursera.org/learn/mindshift .  You've added a new perspective in terms of learning by doing via games.  When is the next MOOC for taking this to the next level?

• 2. Re: Additional Feedback
            NickR2600-Oracle

Thanks!  I'm glad you've enjoyed the course!  For options on what to do next, it depends on your background and what you're interested in.

Our MOOC page has a Zip Lab event.  That's good for poking around the Oracle Cloud.  I don't believe we'll have new MOOC available for a few months.  We've been working on building out our Learning Paths, and many of the Learning Paths are archived MOOCs.  There's JDK 8: Lambda and Streams, which is a really in depth look at the Lambda topics mentioned in Lesson 4 of the Puzzle Ball MOOC.  A bit more specialized are JVM Troubleshooting and Develop RESTful Java Microservices Deployable on Oracle Cloud.

If you're a university student, I highly recommend Oracle Academy Java Foundations. That course goes really in depth on things like classes, methods, variables, and there's a lesson on JavaFX.  I wrote that course to use the same game-based learning techniques and playful tone, which has gone over really well.  The course is meant to be delivered over an entire semester.

If you're looking for something more premium, there's Oracle University.  Those courses last anywhere between 2-5 days and are jam-packed with content.  A few useful courses would be Java SE 8 Fundamentals, Java SE 8 Programming (this is a followup to Fundamentals), Java SE 8 New Features (which focuses on Lambda expressions), and Java SE 9 New Features (which focuses on modularity).

Nick

• 3. Re: Additional Feedback
              finrodfelagund_

Hi Nick and everybody else,

and I wanted to share some of my impressions about this course. So, this was my first programming course of this type, actually of any type. And I loved it, especially the labs, although I wasn't able to solve all of them completely (I've solved the last two partly), but that didn't have anything to do with the course, it was, as usual, my fault. I've brought myself into a situation where I had to finish last two lessons in the past 30 hours, or something. So I didn't have the time to figure out those concepts as I should. And the topics which those two lessons were/are dealing with were my weakest spots. Especially lambda expressions, I had no idea what to expect there, and that was almost the same case with inheritance, but a bit less confusing or dauntingly unknown. Now I know a thing or two about those concepts, and not just about them.

So, why did I wrote all this?

Well, I guess to tell you that you have a pretty good course that teaches the basics of java programming and that I really loved it, video lessons were pretty helpful, slides also, and the thing I was the most skeptical of was the idea of learning through the game. I guess that was the most helpful or fruitful experience in this course. In combination with the labs. And, that's a pretty good game, just for playing. Now, regarding the duration of the course. There is more than enough time between the lessons for someone like me to finish his choirs on time, and learn while doing so. I actually feel like I let down people who have created this course with my grades and with the way I studied. That's how much I have liked this course and the way the concepts were taught in it. And I wanted you to know that. The only thing I wished was that it lasted longer and that it went deeper in the topic. And that's it. That was a pretty cool course.

P.S.

I'm not a software developer of any kind, at least not yet, nor do I know Java thoroughly, I'm actually learning this stuff because they're interesting, and this was one of my best learning experiences until now. Although reading about this kind of stuff is really helpful, and insightful, and very interesting, this course, with its way of teaching, really helped me to connect those chunks of information which I had before, in the understandable whole. Thank you for that. Now, I'll give it a day, or two, and then get back to the whole course and go trough it again. To see how many new insight will I get from it and to reinforce the concepts I've learned, and finish the labs I didn't. And of course, to play a game or two.

Cheers,

Marko

• 4. Re: Additional Feedback
                Gabriele Jung-Oracle

Hi Nick,

this was a great course. I had no java experience before, but the videos including the game and the labs were so well explained that I really learnt a lot.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Additional Feedback
                  Jörg

Thank you very much, Nick. Will the correct answers be published? If yes, where?

Bye

Jörg

• 6. Re: Additional Feedback
                    NickR2600-Oracle

Hi Jörg.  The Lab solutions are available on the Lessons' pages.  A Quiz's answers become available once you pass the quiz.  To access this, navigate to the quiz and you should see a column for "Results" on the lower portion of the quiz module.  But the puzzle and remaining quiz solutions have to remain a secret because we'll probably run the course again sometime in the future.

Nick