2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 3:11 PM by Nirmal Shrestha

Hardware estimation for Oracle DB server for EPM products

Nirmal Shrestha

Hello All,

This is the situation right now - EPM 11.1.2.3 (Planning, Reporting & Analysis, Essbase)

SERVER1 - Foundation/Reporting & Analysis

SERVER2 - Planning, EAS,

SERVER3 - Essbase and Oracle DB 11G.

Since, we need to pay for Oracle license by number of CORES, we are paying a little high price for the Oracle licenses (Do not want to move to SQL Server at this moment).

Plan is to move Oracle DB to a fourth server with less cores.

Currently we have all server with the following specs

Processor -  X3850 X5 Intel Xeon CPU E7 – 4820, 2GHz. 2GHz (4 processors)

32 cores

RAM 64 GB.

Total database size around 100 GB (Essbase 80 and Oracle 20).

If I had to move Oracle to a new (fourth) server, what kind of specs would i go for at minimum so that i do not have to worry much about the performance. Is there any guide/documentation regarding Hardware estimation for Oracle DB ETC?

Regards

NS.

• 1. Re: Hardware estimation for Oracle DB server for EPM products
          GlennS_3

I think it will depend on how busy Planning is. Essbase does not use much DB resource. but Planning uses more. So if it will vary a little if you have 20 planning users vs 2000 users.  In general overall, the DB can stil be pretty small as you are not spinning as ton of big queries, just security, forms, supporting detail, commentary, etc

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hardware estimation for Oracle DB server for EPM products
            Nirmal Shrestha

Glenn,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

You are correct when you say that "DB can stil be pretty small as you are not spinning as ton of big queries, just security, forms, supporting detail, commentary, etc."

So basically we are trying to reduce the licensing cost by moving Oracle to a different server with less cores, but just scared if the performance will decrease.

Glenn, Do you have to come across any documentation on HARDWARE estimation for EPM RDBMS?