1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 3:34 PM by Mike Kutz Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables
        Mike Kutz

Notorious wrote:

That's my take. I just wish I knew what it was so that maybe I could manipulate the naming or use of my variables in such a way that they would appear in the order that makes the most sense. It can get a little more chaotic as the number of variables increases.

My recommendation:

• Use SQL*Developer to develop the code.
        • Use Application Express [APEX] to expose the code to the End Users.

APEX ($0) can be a Web Front End to your code.  With APEX, you can put the text boxes/calender selector/drop down lists/etc. in any order you want.  You can also do pre-"run SQL" data Validations.  Then, there is always the "tooltip" definition for each Item (input) so that you can explain (in detail) what is expected in the Item.

I also recommend you use a newer version of SQL*Developer.  You said you're using 3.x.  18.1 was just released.

Additionally, there has been a lot of improvement to the Code Formatter feature.

Also, make sure you check out the Query Builder capabilities of SQL*Developer.

My $0.02

MK

• 16. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables

And there was me feeling smug cos I'm on SQL*Developer version 4.2.0.17.089

• 17. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables
            Mike Kutz

The Real Rob the Relic wrote:

And there was me feeling smug cos I'm on SQL*Developer version 4.2.0.17.089

At least you can use this plugin to ease your pain of writing certain repetitive patterns of code.

It helps with those INSERT <dev> ... SELECT FROM <prod> scripts..

MK

• 18. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables
              Notorious

Okay, thanks everyone for your feedback.  I will pursue a different route based on Jarkko's comments.

• 19. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables
                Notorious

Thanks Mike.  I originally missed your comments.  Unfortunately, I have little to no control over the tools available to me.  I am an end user and am working with versions that have been deployed enterprise wide.  However, I will check into whether version upgrades are planned.  It does seem that we are VERY far behind in releases.

• 20. Re: Prompt order for multiple bind variables
                  Mike Kutz

Notorious wrote:

Thanks Mike. I originally missed your comments. Unfortunately, I have little to no control over the tools available to me. I am an end user and am working with versions that have been deployed enterprise wide. However, I will check into whether version upgrades are planned. It does seem that we are VERY far behind in releases.

"Shhh.. Its a Secret"

All you need to do is download and unzip the file in your "My Documents" folder and run it from there.

The main problem is connecting to equally old Oracle Database versions.

If you need to connect to something like 8i/9i.  Stay with the version you have.  For connecting to 10g databases, the more recent version of SQL*Developer uses a JDBC which contains a bug in the that prevents DBMS_OUTPUT from being shown.

Beyond that, I understand your situation.

MK

1 2 Previous Next