4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 7:56 PM by rp0428

Need arguments why SQL Developer 4.1.2 is not useful anymore in June 2018

It is really redicolous...

For admin purposes and because of security reasons we DBAs have to use a CaaS platform where SQL Developer 4.1.2 is installed. I requested an update to current version 18.1 but I was told I need good arguments because it will cost a lot of money. I responded that SQL Developer is FREE but I learned that "evaluation and installing" on the CaaS is also very expensive because it will done by an external service provider.

So I answered that older versions like 4.1.2 will not know the modern data dictionary or Oracle 12R2 databases and I am quite sure that later or earlier we will run into errors - propably the error will appear at a migration weekend. But this argument is not enough for the project guys.

Question: Is there a compatibility list which SQL Developer Version is compatible with which Oracle Database version? Any "official" document which states that 4.1.2 is not compatible with 11 oder 12 would be helpful and welcome!

• 1. Re: Need arguments why SQL Developer 4.1.2 is not useful anymore in June 2018
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

It's not without use.

it's just less useful than 18.1

4.1 was released in 2015.

18.1 was released in 2018.

That's 3 years of bug fixes, security updates/fixes, and feature additions that you're missing out on.

You'll have a better argument if you can build a use case/justification based on your own needs. Why do you want 18.1 - what's in there that you need to do your job? Find a way to put a number to that increase in productivity, and then multiply that by all the people in your group/company that could benefit.

What version was approved prior to 4.1? How many years to do they go in between certifications? 3 seems awfully long to go w/o any updates.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need arguments why SQL Developer 4.1.2 is not useful anymore in June 2018

It is really redicolous...

No - it isn't - look up 'cost benefit analysis' on the internet and read some of the material about it.

For admin purposes and because of security reasons we DBAs have to use a CaaS platform where SQL Developer 4.1.2 is installed.

Seems to me those are two pretty good reasons.

I requested an update to current version 18.1 but I was told I need good arguments because it will cost a lot of money.

What is it about that you don't understand. You ALWAYS need 'good arguments' if you want to make ANY change to a system - especially an enterprise system used by others.

They gave you two good reasons, admin and security, for using what you have but you haven't provided ANY in this thread. All you said was 'I requested an update'.

Why? Why do you need an updated version? What is it in your job that you can't do with the version you have? You can't just say 'I want it' - you need to justify it and show that the cost/benefit ratio of upgrading to a newer version justifies the time/resources/training/money it will take.

I responded that SQL Developer is FREE

So what? A lot of things you might download/use are free to download. That doesn't mean there isn't a cost in time/resources to actually do the work involved in downloading, verifying integrity, training, distribution and validating that the new version will work with all of your existing infrastructure.

Are YOU willing to pay for all of that out of your paycheck? Somebody has to.

As I said above

They gave you two good reasons, admin and security, for using what you have but you haven't provided ANY in this thread.

Being FREE isn't necessarily a benefit - it is a POTENTIAL benefit.

So I answered that older versions like 4.1.2 will not know the modern data dictionary or Oracle 12R2 databases and I am quit sure that later or earlier we will run into errors - propably the error will appear at an migration weekend. But this argument is not enough for the project guys.

EXCELLENT!

Sounds like you have some VERY knowledgeable and experienced project guys. They have likely had previous involvement with one of those 'but it is free' scenarios' that caused a lot of problems.

Question: Is there a compatibility list which SQL Developer Version is compatible with which Oracle Database version? Any "official" document which states that 4.1.2 is not compatible with 11 oder 12 would be helpful and welcome!

If you want to be a team player you have to learn to make the ORG and the TEAM the priority rather than yourself.

If the current version presents an impediment to your being able to do your work - that is a valid argument as to why the current tool/version might need to be replaced. But it is NOT an argument for upgrading to the new version unless you can verify that it does NOT have the same issue.

Whether a tool is the right one for the job depends on the job that needs to be done. All tools/versions are better at some things than others.

A wrench doesn't work very well if you need to remove screws. A slot-headed screwdriver doesn't work very well if you have allen-headed fasteners.

Your job is to make your team/org as EFFICIENT and COST-EFFECTIVE as possible. It isn't about YOU - it is ALL about the team.

1. what do you need to do that the current version can't do? Tell them

2. do any other developers have things they can't do with the current tool that the newer version can do? Tell them

3. are you willing to download/test the new version on your own time and at your own expense to help show it is needed and  poses no more admin/security risk than the current version? Tell them

You need to provide VALID arguments that show WHY they should go to the time, trouble and expense to check out a new version when they currently have NO REASON AT ALL to think there will be any benefit.

• 3. Re: Need arguments why SQL Developer 4.1.2 is not useful anymore in June 2018

In perfect world I agree with you - but it isn't.

• 4. Re: Need arguments why SQL Developer 4.1.2 is not useful anymore in June 2018

Sorry - but I'd suggest that YOU are the one expecting a 'perfect world' if you think just saying 'I want it' is a justification that management is going to act on. That 'I want it' thing didn't work for my kids and it doesn't work for my employees or coworkers.

If you want to be successful you need to provide READ justifications for the recommendations you make. That is how professionals get things done.

Acquisition costs are typically only a TINY part of the overall cost of a piece of hardware or software. It is the resources needed to setup, test, distribute and support the acquisition that takes most of the time and money.

That is what that project team, and I, are trying to tell you.