4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 4:00 PM by RosyCross

Proxy connection - any easier way

RosyCross

I saw a recent post on the board where a user was asking about proxy connection to cloud database via sqldeveloper.

I have a short term need for the same thing thanks to local IT idiocy policies which will not be bypassed and looking at the documentation recommended to the original poster it is no small job, the thing I need to do in cloud db will take me less time than the proxy connection and the project I am on is fixed price so we don't have a lot of resource for this.

So my question is, is there any easier alternative to getting a proxy connection to cloud db which will NOT expose the IP address of the connecting client but which is fast and easy to implement?

Any sensible suggestions will be rewarded - thank you for your ideas.

• 1. Re: Proxy connection - any easier way

I didn't see ANYTHING in your post that suggests this is a problem/issue with Sql Developer. If not then please move the thread to the General Database forum.

General Database Discussions

I saw a recent post on the board where a user was asking about proxy connection to cloud database via sqldeveloper.

You forgot to provide a link to the post you are referring to. Not much point in referring to something if we can't see what you are talking about.

and looking at the documentation recommended to the original poster it is no small job

Again - WHAT DOCUMENTATION are you talking about? Where is the link to it so we can understand what you refer to?

the thing I need to do in cloud db will take me less time than the proxy connection and the project I am on is fixed price so we don't have a lot of resource for this.

3rd time - WHAT THING you need to do? We can't help you 'do your thing' if you don't tell us what it is.

You generally should NOT need a proxy connection to do a 'thing'. Connect as the proper user with the privileges needed for the task. Proxy connections are NOT intended for one time use - they are part of a solution for an ongoing need to act as the schema owner without having to know the schema owner's password.

So my question is, is there any easier alternative to getting a proxy connection to cloud db which will NOT expose the IP address of the connecting client but which is fast and easy to implement?

A proxy connection is no different than any other connection in that regard. Any IP or other info will be handled the same way for a proxy as for a typical connection.

WHAT PROBLEM are you really trying to solve? Why do you the IP address is 'exposed'. What do you even mean by that?

Most IP address received by a remote service aren't the true client IP address anyway but are often assigned by DHCP servers.

We might be able to help you if you tell us your REAL problem is.

• 2. Re: Proxy connection - any easier way
            RosyCross

Hello rp0428,

thank you for your time.

The recent post I am referring to is => Web / Proxy via Sqldeveloper

The solution provided is a little much for me - I do not have time to configure this we are up against very tight deadlines. I am looking for a quicker solution to be able to connect sqldeveloper to Oracle Cloud Database whilst obscuring the client machines IP address - by going through a proxy, such that you could not get back to the source client machine IP address by any method.

My problem is that I am working for an organisation with an IT department that insist that the standard way that sqldeveloper connect to Oracle Cloud database is not secure enough for their policies, even with key pair security and using alternative ports, because, as they see it, the users' IP address would be exposed across the internet and they see this as a security problem. This is not my perspective but I am limited by their requirement. Without finding a way to comply with their requirement the otherwise brief database element of the project cannot proceed.

Heartfelt apologies if I annoyed you - I am new to the forums and will try to explain more fully if this is not sufficient.

edit - adding the documents; -

So my requirement is parallel to what is described herein, but between sqldeveloper and Oracle Cloud Database - and yes I agree this is a stupid requirement; -

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=31305.htm

And what was recommended by thatJeffSmith-Oracle was as described in here; -

https://blogs.oracle.com/dev2dev/ssl-connection-to-oracle-db-using-jdbc,-tlsv12,-jks-or-oracle-wallets

I am asking is there no smaller solution that would achieve the proxy requirement, without resorting to something as extensive as is described in the above??

• 3. Re: Proxy connection - any easier way

I am asking is there no smaller solution that would achieve the proxy requirement, without resorting to something as extensive as is described in the above??

The 'proxy' you are talking about seems to be an HTTP proxy. If so that has NOTHING to do with Oracle or Sql Developer or the machine you might be running sql developer from.

Sql Dev would not know, and not care, whether you used an HTTP proxy or what the IP address was of the machine it was running on. So there isn't ANYTHING you would do differently since it would have no effect on sql dev configuration or operation.

That is strictly something you would setup/configure on your own machines and network.

As such you need to post on a forum for your OS and/or network.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Proxy connection - any easier way
                RosyCross

Thank you for your knowledge on this.

And yes http proxy. For the record.