12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2018 12:15 PM by Bob at Elemental Marketing

How to track # website visits in contact field?

z3115

Is there a way (perhaps through a program) to track the number of recent website visits (i.e. within the last 30 days)  and write that to a contact field?

I'm trying to do some customer segmention / clustering work with data from Eloqua and external sources, so I'm looking for a way to export this info for all contacts into a .csv to use in further analysis.

• 1. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
          Bob at Elemental Marketing

I'm thinking a bit creatively here. It's not 100% accurate but could give you a nice broad indication of website visits to use for segmentation and nurture triggering. You should be able to do the following:

1. Create a Numerical field for Website visits
          2. Create an Update Rule that increases the value of this field by 1
          3. Create a Segment of Contacts who have visited any webpage at least once in the last 1 day
          4. Create a Program Canvas with this segment as the source, then run the Update Rule and Exit

Downside of the Program Canvas is that it can only evaluate segments once every day at the fastest (a serious shortcoming). So, every 1 'visit' in this field really means the amount of days on which this contact has visited your website at least once.

There's a workaround for this, but it's kind of silly. It's based on the fact that a Program Builder Feeder can process contacts as fast as once every hour. The process then becomes:

1. Create a Numerical field for Website visits
          2. Create an Update Rule that increases the value of this field by 1
          3. Create a Shared Filter of Contacts who have visited any webpage at least once in the last 1 hour
          4. Create a Program Canvas that runs the Update Rule and Exit
          5. Create a Campaign Canvas that sends people to the Update Rule on the Program Canvas of step 4
          6. Create a Program Builder with 1 step, with a Default Action of Send To Campaign, and select the Campaign Canvas from step 5, with the Send to Program Canvas step as the step to send to.
          7. Create a Program Feeder for this Program Builder, that evaluates Contact Filter (a Shared Filter). Select the Filter from step 3.
          8. Run the Program Builder program in the desired run mode, and enable the feeder.

This will do the same as the above, but make it run every hour instead of every day, possibly a bit slower depending on your # of active contacts and the run mode of the program builder.

• 2. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
            HongTai

Hello!

Just wondering how often you'd need this data.  Fully recommend that you actually try out Tableau (with its ELQ integration) where you can export a whole lot more activity data out of Eloqua plus build pretty cool reports with any other data sources you're putting it together with.

It seriously takes just a couple minutes to click around, then perhaps a good cup of ice tea for the import to bring data over, and you're ready to start answering some questions - plus the Tableau community is VERY active.  Solves the retroactive data issue too.

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com

• 3. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
              z3115

Thanks Bob! This is helpful, but if I understand it correctly then it will basically track the total number of visits ever (or at least from the time I start the program), is there a way to adjust it so it works on a rolling basis to only track the number of visits within a certain amount of time (2 weeks, a month, etc.)?

• 4. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                z3115

I know Tableau isn't free, but is the Eloqua/Tableau integration free?

• 5. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                  HongTai

Hello!

The integration is part of the package.  Their free trial has integration capabilities so you can give it a good spin!

The integration is directly connected in one of the main dropdowns.

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com

• 6. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?

Yes, it's a bit out of the box thinking and not exactly using the system 'as intended' I guess. That's a pretty good requirement right there, but also where this idea hits its limits I guess ;-) I can't think of a way to do that.

An integration like what Hong Tai suggests is definitely more robust.

• 7. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                      nathan.lichte

In Program Builder there is a program called "BP - Lead Scoring" that already has many of these steps built into the template - though the update rule adds points to the lead score - engagement field, it can easily be modified to update the new '# of pages viewed' field.

Nathan

• 8. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                        Mr Thee

I like the idea of the program and segment;

but as the program runs once a day, we can ofc use a shared filter for every amount of visits in the last day (up to 5x visits or so, or work per increment of 2).

After 30d you deduct the amount again, and make sure the person can exist in multiple steps at the same time. So this way you have every day a rather accurate view of their visits in the last 30d.

Quick draft below, any thoughts?

visits count flow.png

• 9. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                          nathan.lichte

That will work - you may also want to add a date stamp to capture date of last visit.  These 2 standard fields can easily work for you.

Display NameInternal Name Data Type
                          Lead Score - High Value Website Content C_LS___High_Value_Website_Content1 Numeric
                          Lead Score - Last High Touch Event Date C_Lead_Score___Last_High_Touch_Event_Date1 Date / Time
                          • 10. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                            z3115

Thanks! This seems pretty clever. I think I'll start going down this route and will see if I can make it work.

• 11. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?
                              z3115

No worries, still helpful in getting me started. I think I can make the adjustment that Mr Thee mentioned below and it'll get pretty close (or good enough for what I intend to use it for). Thanks again!

• 12. Re: How to track # website visits in contact field?

Of course, so clever! Thanks for sharing!