8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2018 5:41 PM by luanne

How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?

luanne

I am trying to create a custom email subscription page. I have already found instructions for creating a single checkbox to subscribe to an Email Group, a one-to-one connection. We have a lot of Email Groups as they are split up by subject line in our company for internal reporting purposes. What we would like to do is have a single checkbox connect to multiple Email Groups for the contact, one-to-many, resulting in a cleaner/simpler subscription page. Is this possible? And if so, how?

• 1. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
          Mr Thee

hi luanne

I would with a custom landing page that acts as pref center. Where you would have your broad email groups => then in the form you can subscribe/unsubscribe a contact to different groups (conditional steps) based on what they selected on the broad email groups.

Retrieving the values however can get a bit complex and require some javascript.

• 2. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
            HongTai

Hi Luanne,

Which type of preference page environment are you working under right now - asking this to figure the extent of the lookups that are required.  In either case, a quick way to simplify this process is to likely have two hidden checkboxes for those default email groups (assuming right now there's 2 to group).  That way we can either leverage a default lookup / checkbox prepop.

On an "onload" event, a script could be run to determine if whether or not those boxes got both filled, and if so, check off the "aggregated" box.  On a "click" event for that particular checkbox, another script can be run to check if is indeed filled in - if filled, check off box hidden boxes, if it's a "clear", uncheck those hidden boxes.

Do you have a sample / napkin mock up of the pref center that you're trying to build out?  Once I can confirm more details I'll see what sort of quick mock-up I can build up.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com

• 3. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
              luanne

My form built within Eloqua, looks something like this, all check boxes below:

Email Preference Center

Please select the email notices you wish to subscribe to from the list below.

Your Email Address: ________ (I have this set and I think it's fine.)

You may change your preferences at any time by clicking on the “email preferences” link at the bottom of any email you receive.

NOTE: We will not rent or sell you contact information to third parties. We promise.  Click here for our privacy policy.

_ General News & Product Information

Get product1, product2, and product3 product news, announcements, and special promotions.

_ Special Events & Webinars

Get invitations to events that connect you with other educators, learn about our products, and hear about hot topics from authors and product experts.

_ Email Newsletters & Product Feature Updates

Get announcements about new features, tips and videos, and implementation ideas from other educators. This also includes periodic product survey.  We want your opinion.

_ World Cartoons

Receive monthly cartoons inspired by xxx, a career special educator, that are sure to make you smile.

If you would like to be removed from all email communications, please check the box below:

_ Remove me from your email list.  This is permanent.

And here is the function:

General News & Product Information, when checked would subscribe to all 5 Email Groups below.

004) Product3 Product Marketing & Offers

007) Product1 Product Marketing & Offers

010) Product2 Product Marketing & Offers

013) General News & Product Information

016) Inside Sales

Special Events & Webinars, when checked would subscribe to 2 Email Groups below.

011) Event / Tradeshow

012) Webinar

Monthly Email Newsletter & Product Updates, when checked would subscribe to all 7 Email Groups below

003) Product3 Product Updates

002) Product3 Newsletter

005) Product1 Newsletter

006) Product1 Product Updates

008) Product2 Newsletter

009) Product2 Product Updates

014) Survey

World Cartoons, when checked would subscribe to the Email Group below - one to one no issue here.

001) World Cartoons

And then the global unsubscribe checkbox. (Not positive how to set this one.)

Visually I have the form and landing page in Eloqua all set up but I can't resolve the Processing.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• 4. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
                HongTai

Hi Luanne,

Great to hear that it's on an Eloqua landing page.  This makes it that much simpler.  I'm also assuming that you would like to have the preference center pre-populated appropriately when a user reaches the page correct?  Also, would they be accessing this page mostly from a link from an ELQ email?

Also, when would you need this by?  I think I'd be able to make a working mock-up early next week and I can show you the snippets of code + relevant form processing steps to get everything set up.  It's quite a handful, but I should have something ready by next Tuesday.

Give me a shout on how your availability is for that day and I can definitely send you a conference invite. 

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com

• 5. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
                  luanne

Hi,

Yes, I would like to have the preference center pre-populated with the users current settings. Yes, they would access mostly from an ELQ email but might be on other emails and the website as well. I need it ASAP but definitely before July 25th.

Tuesday I am available 8-11am EDT and 12-2am EDT.

Thank you,

Luanne Hill

lhill@cainc.com

• 6. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
                    luanne

Actually before you spend any more time on this I have figured out the one-to-many Email Groups. I just added multiple Processing Steps per single checkbox Form Field, Processing Steps/Email Group - Subscribe/Unsubscribe:

Choose an Email Group: / Constant Value = "i.e.004) Product3 Product Marketing & Offers"

Subscribe/Unsubscribe: / Form Field = "General News & Product Information"

and I just did that matching for each Email Group I wanted included under that Form Fiield.

They do pre-populate and subscribe/unsubscribe correctly when tested.

The only thing I am now stuck on is the Globally Unsubscribe Process. Documentation found does not specifically say how to Conditionally set the "Unsubscribe Contacts Globally" process. Can you help with that small part?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
                      HongTai

Hi Luanne!

Awesome to hear that you were able to map out the processing steps!  I've sent you a communication to see if you might be available in the afternoon - and about the Unsubscribe Contacts Globally process, you certainly can use the "Subscribe Contacts Globally" and "Unsubscribe Contacts" Globally processing steps.

I'd also be pairing that with a checkbox that pre-populates with their global subscription status - and with your pre-pop tests, were you also pre-populating your "grouped" checkbox?

In any case, we got some java set up here to pre-pop the "blanket group" checkbox when the hidden group by group email group checkboxes get prepopulated with the contact's "as of now" status.

Looking forward to getting this hammered out by the deadline!

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

• 8. Re: How do I connect a single checkbox to multiple Email Groups in a form on a custom Email Group Subscription page?
                        luanne

Thank you for chatting today HongTai. You were a big help!

Just for the record here, to use the Unsubscribe Contacts Globally Processing step, Conditionally select the Form Field and double click to get the condition, double click again, set it as "exactly" and then in the blank field type "on".  So along with the other instructions I have posted I now have a working one to many email preferences Center.