3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 2:21 PM by DougAGault-Oracle

Problem migrating from APEX REST to ORDS REST

Olafur T

Hi,

I am having some problem getting the migrated services working. Any changes I do through APEX do not seem to be propagated to the ORDS 18.2 + Tomcat 8. I can't find any instructions in APEX on how to apply the changes to the ORDS listener or get a command file / script to run on ords.war.

So I do not have access to sysdba. Just the public users for apex and ords. Which means I can't go through the ORDS part of the setup and missing ords_pu.xml.

I try to run a rest service, the error I get is: The database user for the connection pool named apex_rt, is not authorized to proxy to the schema named SLRV

btw. there is no schema called SLRV, it's the defined schema alias.

When I scroll down the error the last error is: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

But when I check APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER the password is fine.. Is it trying to use ORDS_PUBLIC_USER?

Also I added another schema (rest enabled) through the new APEX interface, installed sample schema. Tried to test one of them and the error is : The request could not be mapped to any database. Check the request URL is correct, and that URL to database mappings have been correctly configured

Thank you

Olafur

ps. Is it possible to have the modules not expanded when going into "ORDS RESTful Services"? We have dozens of Apex workspaces that have 50 to 150 modules. The APEX use of interactive report was very handy to filter/sort/etc.

• 1. Re: Problem migrating from APEX REST to ORDS REST
          Olafur T

I manually created apex_pu.xml and everything started to work. So I guess the ords.war setup process needs to be able to allow for registering the password for ords_public_user without having sysdba rights to verify the ords installation.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
          <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
          <properties>
          <entry key="db.password">!rightpassword</entry>
          <entry key="db.username">ORDS_PUBLIC_USER</entry>
          </properties>

I can change schema alias and it works like a charm. I guess the error message is a bit misleading when missing this definition.

• 2. Re: Problem migrating from APEX REST to ORDS REST
            Olafur T

I found a way to auto collapse the whole tree. I run from console:

$(".a-TreeView-toggle").click();

Collapses the whole tree, much more manageable. I'm working with many workspaces, where the bigger ones have 70/80 modules where each module has 20 - 40 templates. The window is hundreds of pages long because of the left tree view.

Only problem is that when I select a module/template the page does a refresh and the whole tree is expanded again. Hopefully the APEX view on ORDS services will get better in future releases. Seems to be designed around small sample cases instead of fully functional enterprise backends.

Olafur

• 3. Re: Problem migrating from APEX REST to ORDS REST
              DougAGault-Oracle

Olafur T wrote:

[...]

ps. Is it possible to have the modules not expanded when going into "ORDS RESTful Services"? We have dozens of Apex workspaces that have 50 to 150 modules. The APEX use of interactive report was very handy to filter/sort/etc.

H iOlafur T,

I completely agree that the APEX interface to ORDS isn't currently ideal when you're dealing with large numbers of modules/templates. Please remember that this is a first cut and the runway was short to get all the functionality in that we wanted. We've already fixed a few known issues for the upcoming 18.2 release but know that it's far from perfect.  In the very near future, we do have plans to make the interface much more user friendly and robust, modeling it to be a bit more like the Page Builder's tree. For instance, the tree should automatically expand/contract based on the node you're currently working on. I'd like to get some kind of filtering added as well.

For now, if it's an option, the best resource you have is to use SQL-Developer. It allows you to expand and contract the tree and look at only what you want to look at.

Thanks for the feedback and it's good to know people are using REST more aggressively these days.

Doug