12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2019 9:40 PM by lmu

"RMAN-05541: no archived logs found in target database" after taking archive log backups

jimd1673

We have been running RMAN duplicate commands to clone databases for years and it's been working fine.  Last week we decided to start taking archive log backups every 4 hours from the database that is used as the source of the clones since regular log backups were never part of the backup strategy.  However, one of our clone jobs failed with the following error this past weekend:

RMAN-03002: failure of Duplicate Db command at 09/09/2018 13:41:04

RMAN-05501: aborting duplication of target database

RMAN-05541: no archived logs found in target database

This particular duplicate command was run after the Level 0 backup of the source database ran the night before.  There were about 4 log backups that ran after the Level 0 and prior to the duplicate command starting.

The duplicate command is very straight forward:

DUPLICATE DATABASE TO CLONEDBD BACKUP LOCATION '<rman backup file location>';

Here is our archive log backup job:

sql 'alter system archive log current';

backup archivelog all not backed up 1 times

TAG 'Archivelog backup' FORMAT '/rman_backup/$DB_TGT/%d_%s_%p_%c_%t.arc.rman';

I believe I can get the duplicate command to run if I add the NOREDO option to the command but I'm trying to understand why this error occurs?

Thanks in advance for the help.