9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2018 12:42 PM by DUOS

Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another

DUOS

Hi Team,

This is basic question, but for my understanding purpose i want to reconfirm it with you. Suppose i have installed weblogic infrastructure 12.2.1.3 in /u02 mount point in linux env. But now i want this to be moved to /u04 mount point of same machine. For this can i simply copy -R command and copy all folder from /u02 to /u04. Will it be ok if i do it like this.

Also i have one more question. I have two host. host1 and host2. In host 1 machine i have /u04 mount point as shared and in host 2 machine i have /u04 mount point as shared. Both host are pingable to each other. I have to setup horizontal clustering. So for product installation like weblogic, SOA, OSB i have to do installation in both host /u04 mount point or i can do it in any one as they are shared. Please clear this doubt of mine.

Thanks

DUOS

• 1. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
          Martien van den Akker

Hi DUOS,

Yes, you could copy your FMW_HOME/ORACLE_HOME to the new mount point. And indeed you could use a shared folder.

But think about these considerations:

• You need to adapt your scripts and in several scripts in the domain there are references to the home. But most of these can be circumvented by setting the ORACLE_HOME and/or MW_HOME variable properly.
          • A shared mount point is usually slower than local storage. So, it may come with a performance penalty.
          • You use a two node cluster to implement High Availability and/or loadbalancing. But to patch your home, all the services running from that home must be down. When you share the MW_HOME folder, than the services on both hosts need to be down, to be able to patch. So, this will demolish your HA setup.
          • Because of previous point Zero DownTime Patching will not work.

So I would discourage to move your oracle home to shared storage. Also the domain where you run your managed servers from is recommended to be stored on local-storage. For the AdminServer domain, you might want to put that on shared storage, because that is the 'main' domain or single-point-of-truth: you should backup it and you would want to be able to startup the AdminServer on the other node when the primary node for the AdminServer goes down.

So in short: I would only put the AdminServer's domain on shared storage.

Regards,
          Martien

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
            DUOS

Hi Martien,

I want to say first thank to you for assisting me in clearing my doubts. I have two quick question. As per oracle website they suggest to put Oracle_HOME in shared storage. But i consider your point over it which is really good. Please tell me one thing. When i install weblogic in both host machines and install SOA suite in both host machine and run config.sh file in order to create my domain in host 1 and pack the domain from host 1 and unpack it in host 2. Now with this my domain will be created in both host with admin server. Please tell me, as when i ran config.sh and pack and unpack in shared storage in both machines which is for example at /u02 in both machines. Suppose i have to extend my domain in order for SOA suite configuration, then SOA suite will be sitting in domain like /u02/oracle/config/domains/soa_domain/wls_soa1. If you check this you will find it will be in /u02 mount point only which is shared, so how can i keep soa out of shared mount point.

If any document you can suggest on setting up weblogic with SOA suite in HA using shared storage.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
              handat

The DOMAIN_HOME is usually separate from ORACLE_HOME/WLS_HOME, ie they are under different mounts if you follow best practice. By default they are under the same location/mount.

• 4. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                Martien van den Akker

Indeed. In fact the configurator suggest a user_projects folder within the WLS_HOME. How I hate that....

Regards,
                Martien

• 5. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                  DUOS

Hi Martien,,

When i started installing weblogic 12.2.1.3 i installed weblogic in shared storage, so my middleware home is in shared storage(this was decided by team so i had to select it). Suppose my shared storage is in /u01, so i installed weblogic in /u01 now i am able to see middleware home from both machines /u01 mount point as /u01 is shared for two machines. I installed SOA suite also in /u01 which is shared storage. I ran RCU also for SOA SUITE and created the required schemas.

Now while creating the domain. I went to path /u01/oracle/products/fmw/oracle_common/common/bin (which is shared storage) and ran /config.sh file. I am confused from here.

In create domain GUI page i selected create a new domain and gave the path of new mount point in host 1 which is not shared. path is /u02/oracle/config/domains/soadomain. This means a new domain will be created  for SOA Suite in /u02 mount point.

Now in application locatipon GUI page my domain location path is showing correct which i had given for /u02 but application domain path is by default showing for /u01/oracle/products/fmw/user_projects/applications/soadomain

Pl guide me if i can give application domain path in /u02 or not. Ideally application domain path should be shared or not shared. Please guide me in this.

Thanks

DUOS

• 6. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                    Martien van den Akker

Hi DUOS,

During the configuration the Applications location is a separate field, so you should update that. Easy to miss if you click Next a bit too quickly.

'/u01/oracle/products/fmw/user_projects' is the default location for domains and applications (that is, the user_projects folder of the oracle home). As mentioned earlier: I really dislike this default, since it puts the domain in the oracle home. Since domains usually out-live the weblogic/middleware software versions, I think it's can get in the way during upgrades.

I just did a simple domain creation in the generic weblogic. But it did not ask me. But I took a look in my FMW domain creation scripting (https://blog.darwin-it.nl/2016/06/scripted-domain-creation-for-soabpm-osb.html ) for setting the application directory.

And you could update it using the following wlst snippet (copied and pasted from my scripts so not tested seperately):

# domainHome       = domainsHome+'/'+domainName applicationsHome = applicationsBaseHome+'/'+domainName # def main():   try:     readDomain(domainHome)     #     #     cd('/')     setOption( "AppDir", applicationsHome )     #     print('Updating the domain.')     updateDomain()     print('Closing the domain.')     closeDomain();     print('\nExiting...')     exit()   except NameError, e:     print 'Apparently properties not set.'     print "Please check the property: ", sys.exc_info()[0], sys.exc_info()[1]     usage()   except:     apply(traceback.print_exception, sys.exc_info())     stopEdit('y')     exit(exitcode=1) #call main() main() exit()

Run it with a property file like:

############################################################################# # Properties voor Creeëren FMW Domain # # @author Martien van den Akker, Darwin-IT Professionals # @version 1.0, 2017-05-10 # ############################################################################# # Generic domain settings domainName=soa12c_domain domainsHome=/app/oracle/config/domains applicationsBaseHome=/app/oracle/config/applications

Using:

#!/bin/bash SCRIPTPATH=$(dirname $0) # wlst.sh $SCRIPTPATH/updateFMwDomain.py -loadProperties $SCRIPTPATH/fmw.properties

This should do the job.

Regards,
                    Martien

PS. You wrote:

my middleware home is in shared storage(this was decided by team so i had to select it).

Based on my earlier comments: I'd challenge this decision in your team. It degrades your performance and updating the home in a HA way.

Regards,
                    Martien

• 7. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                      DUOS

Hi Martien,

Thanks for writing up and thanks for clearing my doubts. 12.2.1.3 is bit new for me. I want to ask you, while creating the domain should i select the "domain location path" in shared or local to achieve high availability. Also please tell me should i select "application domain path" in shared storage or local, because i want to keep admin server in shared and managed server (wsm and SOA ) in local to both machine.

Upon your suggestion on keeping middleware home in local, i was completely with you and there is no point me not agreeing on it as the point is valid. But our other env is made like that and they are following the same, so i agreed to it.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                        Martien van den Akker

Hi DUOS,

I think application domain path could be on shared, but  I'm a bit reluctant.

If you upgrade one of the nodes (given that the home is not shared) in a HA way (so one or more other managed servers keep running) and start the upgraded managed server, it will upgrade the domain, if necessary. It might conflict then with the still running managed server. So, I think it is a risk to share the domain amongst the managed servers. For the AdminServer it is not a problem, because there's only one AdminServer, running on whichever host.

Regards,
                        Martien

• 9. Re: Can we move weblogic installation from one mount point to another
                          DUOS

Thank you Martien. Your suggestions helped me a lot. Thank you once again.

Regards