5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 10:06 AM by Beauty_and_dBest

What is the ideal config for multi-node EBS?

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

Whas is the recommended config for EBS multi-node setup? for Apps Node, but only one server for database node.

So we have apps1, apps2, apps3 nodes, and a one db1 node.

Is bellow diagram a good setup or bad? Are there are other setup better than this?

[1.jpg]

Please shed lights....

Kind regards,

jc

• 1. Re: What is the ideal config for multi-node EBS?
          Kanda-Oracle

Hi JC,

Please share the version 12.2 ?

You are looking for CPU/RAM ? Please refer this.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26401_01/doc.122/e22950/T422699i4773.htm#8524615

Hope this helps!

Thanks

N Kandasamy

• 2. Re: What is the ideal config for multi-node EBS?
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Kanda,

Sorry I missed to clarify that it is the apptier only the is to be set to multi-node.

I mean I have one db servers , and two or three apps servers.

Actually it can be generic applicable to any versions.

I just presume multi-node appl-tiers are not needed anymore since servers nowadays are getting powerful and highly scalable? Especially with the latest version of EBS 12.2.x?

It just that we have client with old setup of 12.1.3 which has issues on their multi-node setup.

I suggested to them to move to a latest and powerful machine with hi-memory and hi-cpu as a dual-node setup only (1 appstier, & 1 dbtier). And forget that muli-node apps-tier thing.

Is this a good suggestion?

Kind regards,

• 3. Re: What is the ideal config for multi-node EBS?
              David Heisler-Oracle

Hello,

For 12.2 things work a little differently.  You will install the primary node for the initial upgrade to 12.2.  The primary node will have all services assigned to it during the entire upgrade process.  After the upgrade process is complete all the way to 12.2.7, then and only then can you add additional nodes and configure what services run on each node.

The most efficient method is to use the shared filesystem approach.  This allows you to stage patches to only the primary node when patching.  When using non-shared filesystems, you will need to stage your patches on all nodes.  You still only run adop from the primary node, but since the filesystems are not shared, you need to stage the patches on each node.

For this question:

It just that we have client with old setup of 12.1.3 which has issues on their multi-node setup.

I suggested to them to move to a latest and powerful machine with hi-memory and hi-cpu as a dual-node setup only (1 appstier, & 1 dbtier). And forget that muli-node apps-tier thing.

I would need to understand their issues, but suggesting that they move to a single tier might not be an effective solution for this customer.  Generally customers want to isolate services to specific servers.  For example concurrent managers on db tier, one or more web tiers and forms tiers based on number of users.  There are many factors involved in determining the number of nodes to have in an environment.

For example for 12.2 we recommend no more than 150 users per oacore.  Now you can add more cores to a server, but at some point if you have to many users connecting your performance will degrade.  So, you add another node and balance the users across the two.

• 4. Re: What is the ideal config for multi-node EBS?
                stejac

all depend on your need, and money

the kind of server infrastructure you have

number of people connected at the same time

in case of crash how long can you stay down

2 database instance some time can be usefull, samething for application server