6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 3:09 PM by Christian Berg

    New to OBIEE - High level steps

    Nayas

      Hi All,

       

      I am not sure if it's the correct subspace to post my question.

      If it's not, just direct me to the correct one and i'll move there

       

      I am new to OBIEE and trying to understand the high level installation steps.

      We use an old OBIEE - OBIA version (11.1.1.6) with Informatica / DAC for our ETL / Scheduling.

       

      To better understand OBIEE, I am doing the installation on my lab but I am unsure about the high level steps.

      I am following this Oracle Doc (Link) but it is strickly for the OBIEE part. No references to OBIA / Informatica / DAC.

       

      Is there any order in which Informatica / DAC / OBIEE / OBIA should be install?

      For example, for now, I have a data warehouse DB install with the MDS / BIPLATFORM schema created (with RCU) and OBIEE installed (choose Enterprise Install).

       

      Can I simply proceed with Informatica / DAC then OBIA?

      Is there any Oracle DOC that describe these high level steps?

       

      Thank you,

      Félix

        • 1. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
          Christian Berg

          Install a full OBIA? I'd start with installing OBIEE itself. OBIA is just (questionably well done) content and ETL which doesn't really have a functional dependency to OBIEE. The latter can read anything.

           

          If OBIEE is done then you can install Informatica and then the DAC - here's the doc

           

          https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35287_01/bia.7964/e35271/windows_ic.htm

          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
            Avinash Pentyala

            Yes, You can process with OBIEE, Informatica, DAC and OBIA, for BIA796x installation there was no dependency between  OBIEE and Informatica.

            if you want we can install OBIEE and Informatica in different machines.

             

            refer following URL's

             

            https://foursconsultancy.wordpress.com/obia/approach-to-obia-7-9-6-4-install/

             

            https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35287_01/bia.7964/e35271/windows_ic.htm#i1067646

             

            Regards,

            Avinash

            • 3. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
              Nayas

              Hi Christian,

               

              Thank you for reply.

               

              I am not sure to understand why is OBIA.

              Are they pre-built Oracle ETL for Informatica for some sources?

               

              Reading that Oracle Doc that you referenced, I am not sure to understand the process for the OBIA.


              I have 2 unix server :

              unxsrv1 : 2 rdbms databases (oltp / dwh) and obiee

              unxsrv2 : informatica / dac

               

              Do I understand correctly that I need to install OBIEE on my personnal laptop (running windows) and install OBIA on my laptop ?

              Then what, there a config file that I import in informatica or something like that ?

               

              Thank you,

              Félix

              • 4. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
                Christian Berg

                Hi felix,

                Nayas wrote:

                 

                I am not sure to understand why is OBIA.

                Are they pre-built Oracle ETL for Informatica for some sources?

                 

                Yes, OBIA are pre-built ETL routines and data models for products like Oracle eBusiness, Siebel CRM, Peoplesoft etc.

                 

                Nayas wrote:


                I have 2 unix server :

                unxsrv1 : 2 rdbms databases (oltp / dwh) and obiee

                unxsrv2 : informatica / dac

                 

                That's pretty much the least performant option :-)

                 

                Informatica is used in an "ETL" - extract, transform, load - manner and data has to physically flow over the Informatica server, so if you do it like this you will move the data from server 1 to server 2 and then back to server 1 for...not much.

                 

                If you put Informatica alone on server 2, then you put the least used components on server 2 whereas all the heavy things are in server 1.

                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
                  Nayas

                  Hi Christian,

                   

                  First of all, thank to for the time to answer my questions !

                   

                  Would you mind to explain a bit more, what are the heavy component?

                  From my understanding :
                  - OBIEE should be "light", as it "only" read data that was populated by INFA in the DWH database to populate/generate the dashboards / reports. (I assume the bigger the table, the more heavy it will be)

                  - Informatica will use heavy on I/O as it generate files in it's cache, from the source dataset and iterate through every transformation, until it pushes the last dataset to DWH database.

                  - DWH will be heavy on IO for obvious reasons

                   

                  In my scenario, OLTP / DWH databases sitting on srv1 are not the sources databases.

                  OLTP holds the informatica / dac repository metadata and dwh is the target data warehouse database.

                  Sources are sitting on other servers.

                   

                  Also, do I understand correctly that I need to install OBIEE on my personnal laptop (running windows) and install OBIA on my laptop ?

                  If so, can I simply install obiee 11.1.1.7 on my laptop, install obia 7.9.6.4 instead of installing obiee 11.1.1.6 as I run on my Unix installation?

                   

                  Have a great day,

                  Félix

                  • 6. Re: New to OBIEE - High level steps
                    Christian Berg

                    Nayas wrote:


                    - OBIEE should be "light", as it "only" read data that was populated by INFA in the DWH database to populate/generate the dashboards / reports. (I assume the bigger the table, the more heavy it will be)

                     

                    Not really. If there are many factors:

                    - how many users (concurrent)

                    - how many queries (concurrent9
                    - how good or bad is the physical data model and its optomization

                    - how good or bad is the logical model and its optimization

                    - how good or bad are the analyses and dashboards

                     

                    Nayas wrote:

                     

                    - Informatica will use heavy on I/O as it generate files in it's cache, from the source dataset and iterate through every transformation, until it pushes the last dataset to DWH database.

                    - DWH will be heavy on IO for obvious reasons

                     

                    In my scenario, OLTP / DWH databases sitting on srv1 are not the sources databases.

                    OLTP holds the informatica / dac repository metadata and dwh is the target data warehouse database.

                    Sources are sitting on other servers.

                     

                    Ok so this sounds to me that it's a demo / poc / lab environment? In that case...yeah it maybe would make sense to have this kind of split.

                     

                    Nayas wrote:

                     

                    Also, do I understand correctly that I need to install OBIEE on my personnal laptop (running windows) and install OBIA on my laptop ?

                    If so, can I simply install obiee 11.1.1.7 on my laptop, install obia 7.9.6.4 instead of installing obiee 11.1.1.6 as I run on my Unix installation?

                     

                    OBIEE can run on Linux as well - it actually runs a lot better then on Windows ;-) Since "OBIA" is just content you can even put OBIEE 12c on top of it as OBIEE doesn't care what its sources are.