4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2019 1:37 PM by JBell_PDX

Send an email containing Custom Object Record information when it meets criteria

Fabio Benoit-Oracle

Hi all,

Here's my point :

I have a custom object called Contract with information in it, including the contract's end date. One contact can have more than one contract linked to him.

I would like to send an email to a contact when one of his contract expires in 3 months, to ask him for a renewal. This email should include the contract information (contract number, start date, end date, etc.).

I do know how to trigger the send by sending the COR to a Custom Object Programs, using loops and decisions. However, impossible for me to insert the relevant information into the email. Indeed, in that case, using a field merge can result in inserting the wrong information, as I can only narrow to the Last Created, First Created or Last Modified : for example, if a contact has two Contracts that have the same end date, he should receive two different emails with the information of each one in them, but sending two emails using this kind of field merge will result in sending the same information in both emails.

Do you have a way to insert the information of the "selected" custom object record into an email ?

Thanks!

Fabio Benoit

• 1. Re: Send an email containing Custom Object Record information when it meets criteria
          paul.sharma

Fabio

Since this a 1 contact to many CDO records in the same CDO set, you need to have a unique ID for each CDO and you should see the data from that CDO.

Maybe you can IM with the way you have setup the CDO and a screenshot of your canvas setup.

In a similar project, I have merged coupon codes and the contact could have several codes with different activation dates and expiration dates and were sent emails that sent the following emails:

• Activation email containing activation date and expiration date, unique coupon code and the product.
          • Redemption Notification
          • Send email 90 days before expiration
          • Send email 30 days before expiration
          • Send email 14 days before expiration
          • Send email   7 days before expiration
          • Expired notification

Let me know if this helps

• 2. Re: Send an email containing Custom Object Record information when it meets criteria
            Fabio Benoit-Oracle

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your answer.

However, I don't really understand your point : you said you sent emails containing coupon's information in it, but how did you configure your field merges in order to be sure to insert the information from the right coupon ? As I see it, it seems that the contact can still receive information from a wrong coupon ?

In addition, I do indeed have a unique ID for each CDO record, but I don't see how to use it in order to resolve my issue

Many thanks.

• 3. Re: Send an email containing Custom Object Record information when it meets criteria
              paul.sharma

Fabio,

I was able to upload some data in a test CDO and create a test email and send them to my self.  I received the emails with the correct information.

My coupon ID = your Contract number and the Unique ID  is key to merging the right data in the right email.

1. Screenshot 1 contains how I mapped the field merges. Screenshot 2 contains the resulting emails that contain the information merged in the emails.
              2. Screenshot 2 contains the CDO with data on the right, mapped to the test emails that I got in my personal email box below.

You may want to check your setup again and review how CDO work and how to send emails using data in the CDOs. 

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

• 4. Re: Send an email containing Custom Object Record information when it meets criteria
                JBell_PDX

Thanks Paul -

I found this questions because I am having a similar issues where contacts can be tied to multiple geographic regions that have unique sets of merge fields in their CO record based on that region. My merge fields and data records seem to be set up in the same fashion as yours, however I'm curious how you got the email to go to only those 3 in the 90-day window? Were those records the last modified or were all your records modified at the same time?  I'm having issues where I'm only getting the merge field content of the last modified record, but the ones I want weren't the last modified (or the first/last created)

I've tried both filtering my segment and making a decision within my canvas where if I was using your example, I'm saying I want only contacts with a linked CO record with an end date of 10/10/2018 - and it does correctly select your contact record because you do have a CO record with an end date of 10/10/2018 (DOC-00005) - but it fills in the email merge fields with the data from the 12/27/2019 (DOC-00010) because that was the record last modified.

How did you solve for that selection?