3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 5:41 PM by HongTai

Help needed: Embedding field merge URL in button/text

richard.evans

Does anyone have a solution for adding a CDO field merge, in this case a unique 'Join event' URL, without the email displaying the full URL string? I would like the URL to be embedded in a button and hyperlinked text.

Is this possible in the new editor? Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help needed: Embedding field merge URL in button/text
          HongTai

Hi Richard!

I just did a couple tests here and got a CDO field merge with a URL to work in an email link / button.  As long as you select the picture / line item and paste in the proper CDO HTML (span tags), and ensure you don't hit "track URL" (as that creates a redirect URL for it), the links should work.

The only concern I have about this is it would likely affect your "click through" metrics - but if it's mainly transactional and you just need to get it sent out, this should do for now.

In any case, what implementation steps have you tried out so I can figure out a good place to start?

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com

• 2. Re: Help needed: Embedding field merge URL in button/text
            richard.evans

Thank you, Hong Tai - that is very helpful.

This was a lot easier in the old editor where you could access the HTML portion to make edits. Do you know of a work-around in the new/simplified email editor? I have been advised separately that "shared content" may be an option for embedding the HTML span tags - is this how you are achieving it?

Best,

Richard

• 3. Re: Help needed: Embedding field merge URL in button/text
              HongTai

Hi Richard,

So far I've only been able to use the "HTML" / Custom Code content section to add in code - the one that you drag in under design components.  Right clicking and being able to jump right into the code was really quite nice.  In turn, some inline styling was used on the "a" tag to make it look the way I need it to look.

Not sure how big the button is, but if you're dedicating an entire "image" section to it - when you select the picture "hyperlink" properties would pop up in the left column.  Select the web page option, insert the appropriate field merge, and be absolutely sure to uncheck the "Add tracking for untracked external pages" checkbox in the bottom of that subsection.  If you see "elqTrack=true" in your link, it means that the box is still checked and the link won't work.  

So far I've been interpreting these extra steps as a way to minimize the chances of custom code / edits from breaking the responsive layout - but it's been such a relief being able to make responsive layouts with minimal coding now. 

Best Regards,

Hong Tai Lee

hongtai@gospecmarketing.com