I just did a couple tests here and got a CDO field merge with a URL to work in an email link / button. As long as you select the picture / line item and paste in the proper CDO HTML (span tags), and ensure you don't hit "track URL" (as that creates a redirect URL for it), the links should work.
The only concern I have about this is it would likely affect your "click through" metrics - but if it's mainly transactional and you just need to get it sent out, this should do for now.
In any case, what implementation steps have you tried out so I can figure out a good place to start?
Hong Tai Lee
Thank you, Hong Tai - that is very helpful.
This was a lot easier in the old editor where you could access the HTML portion to make edits. Do you know of a work-around in the new/simplified email editor? I have been advised separately that "shared content" may be an option for embedding the HTML span tags - is this how you are achieving it?
So far I've only been able to use the "HTML" / Custom Code content section to add in code - the one that you drag in under design components. Right clicking and being able to jump right into the code was really quite nice. In turn, some inline styling was used on the "a" tag to make it look the way I need it to look.
Not sure how big the button is, but if you're dedicating an entire "image" section to it - when you select the picture "hyperlink" properties would pop up in the left column. Select the web page option, insert the appropriate field merge, and be absolutely sure to uncheck the "Add tracking for untracked external pages" checkbox in the bottom of that subsection. If you see "elqTrack=true" in your link, it means that the box is still checked and the link won't work.
So far I've been interpreting these extra steps as a way to minimize the chances of custom code / edits from breaking the responsive layout - but it's been such a relief being able to make responsive layouts with minimal coding now.
Hong Tai Lee
Hi richard.evans, I'm not sure if you were able to get this solved previously, but I was running into the same issue (new editor, not able to merge in a URL from a CDO (in my case, an event)). The workaround that I found was:
- Make sure the value in your field does not contain http:// or https://. For my case, the value in my field started with www.
- When you are inserting the field merge, make sure that "http://" or "https://" is in the "Web Address URL" field in the email editor and add your field merge after that.
- Turn off link tracking. This is unfortunate because if you are sending to an external link, you won't get the tracking details, but for us it is for a somewhat unimportant link for us to track
Here's what my link looks like in the "Web Address URL" field:
Hope that helps!
I believe Josh Martin has this correctly answered. I'll add a few comments:
- I would suggest adding the entire URL to the merge field or cdo merge field, and omit http:// and https:// as Josh mentions
- When you add the merge field the span tags will appear in the link as follows: <span class="eloquaemail">_Merge_Field__1</span>
- Remove the span class portions from the link
- The final link will look like this: http://~~eloqua..type--emailfield..syntax--_Merge_Field__1~~?elqTrackId=
- Ensure link tracking is turned off for this link
This is helpful josh.martin. Is there any way to remove the "?elqTrackId=7E62CC3F86DC9E37F1BEABE51E59B58F" portion from the Web Address URL? It automatically adds itself if I remove it - which creates problems on send. The email I'm working on sends a unique link so that our survey partner can use tracking as well. Here is an example on my test account.the
In the Web Address URL field for a button:
The link once it arrives in my inbox:
**Edit: substituting an & in place of the leading ? in the Eloqua tracking string resolves the issue in the live version of the email, but when sending a test - produces an error.**
The link I need for it to work:
I've unchecked the "add tracking for untracked external pages".
I've toggled off "Enable Eloqua Email Tracking" and "Enable 3rd Party Tracking" in the Email Settings menu, but the issue persists
Thanks for any input.
We have the same issue Brandon_Lee - can anyone help on this community. How do you stop Eloqua adding the UTM Tags, to the field merge url.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, do you have GA external tracking turned on in the email configuration area?
I have it turned off, I tested it previously, Thx