3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 12:53 PM by Oleh Tyshchenko

Series limit in multi-series line chart ?

Alex Hoefling-Oracle

Hi - I have a query which returns columns TARGET, TARGET_DATE, TARGET_COUNT.

In my multi-series line chart I try to show TARGET_COUNT per TARGET_DATE and I am using TARGET_NAME as the series:

This is giving me an error “Ajax call returned server error ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small for”.

I suspect this is because the number of series (distinct TARGETs) is too large.

Since I am only interested in the top 10 TARGETS by TARGET_COUNT I was thinking to “rank” the TARGETS.

However, the line chart should have I would need to do this dynamically since the top 10 TARGETs by TARGET_COUNT would change for each TARGET_DATE, and respectively for each TARGET_DATE range.

Ranking on the top 1o TARGETS overall would miss data when I zoom into the dynamic chart. (e.g. if top 10 TARGETS had low counts during my zoomed-in date).

Questions:

- Is there a way for a multi-series line chart to dynamically display the top x series for a given (zoomed-in) date range ?

- What is the limit of series for a multi-series line chart, and can this limit be increased ?

- Any other idea for above ORA-06502, if it's not caused by the series limit ?

Thanks for any pointers. -alex

• 1. Re: Series limit in multi-series line chart ?
          Oleh Tyshchenko

If I understand you correctly and since you are only interested in the top 10 TARGETS by TARGET_COUNT you don't need to dynamically display the top x series for a given date range. It still will be the same top 10 targets. All the "Zoom and Scroll" does is just display the chart with more or less details.

• 2. Re: Series limit in multi-series line chart ?
            Alex Hoefling-Oracle

Hi Oleh - thanks for your feedback.

I am interested in the top 10 targets (by target_count) during a specific date range. When I zoom into the chart and look at e.g. Sept 1-10 there might be different top 10 targets as if I look at Sept 5-10, or further zoom in to see just Sept 8-10.

Is it possible to have this dynamically, that the series adopts to the date zoom.

Is there a limit for the number of series for a multi-series line chart ? Can this be changed ?

Is there a feature to limit the number of series which "show" in a multi-series line chart ?

• 3. Re: Series limit in multi-series line chart ?
              Oleh Tyshchenko

Alex Hoefling-Oracle wrote:

Is there a limit for the number of series for a multi-series line chart ?

I don't know. Using Oracle JET Cookbook I can able to build charts with thousands of series. But its plain JET and we deal with JET wrapped by APEX. And I guess APEX internally uses VARCHAR2(32767) as buffer to keep all the data. That's why you get ORA-06502.

Alex Hoefling-Oracle wrote:

I am interested in the top 10 targets (by target_count) during a specific date range. When I zoom into the chart and look at e.g. Sept 1-10 there might be different top 10 targets as if I look at Sept 5-10, or further zoom in to see just Sept 8-10.

Is it possible to have this dynamically, that the series adopts to the date zoom.

JET zoom just doesn't work this way. It do not apply filters to your data its just change the scale of your chart. So maybe you need two page items to define date ranges and a dynamic action to refresh the chart when the user change one of the dates. Or you may create a master chart that will show your targets by target_count for the whole history and a detail chart that will show your targets by target_count for current master's viewport. To synchronize them listen to viewport change event