4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 3:37 AM by Ahmed Haroon

Apex 18.1, ORDS 18.1... question about epg configuration

Ahmed Haroon

hi all,

with help of this community members i have successfully have a VM on client which have

1) Database 12c Release 2  -- 12.2.0.1.0

2) WLS ( Fmw Infrastructure ), Forms & Reports 12.2.1.3.0

3) Apex 18.1

4) ORDS 18.1

5) Tomcat 9

installed Apex without epg configuration because i am using ords but i want to know, as i saw various guides includes epg configuration and also configured ords to access / run Apex, it seems epg and ords both can configure simultaneously.

I want to know about in what scenario epg configuration is necessary? what are the uses and consideration/recommendations while configuring it? can i configure it in current scenario when i have already configured everything or have to re-install Apex and ORDS ?

please guide.

regards

• 1. Re: Apex 18.1, ORDS 18.1... question about epg configuration
          Kiran Pawar

Hi Ahmed Haroon,

Ahmed Haroon wrote:

installed Apex without epg configuration because i am using ords but i want to know, as i saw various guides includes epg configuration and also configured ords to access / run Apex, it seems epg and ords both can configure simultaneously.

Yes. You can configure EPG and ORDS simultaneously given that you are using different ports for each Web Listener option.

Following is the Oracle APEX 18.1 documentation for configuring EPG: https://docs.oracle.com/database/apex-18.1/HTMIG/configuring-embedded-PL-SQL-gateway.htm#HTMIG29203

I want to know about in what scenario epg configuration is necessary? what are the uses and consideration/recommendations while configuring it?

Will get answers to your questions in the following Oracle APEX documentation about EPG (See section 14.4 and 14.5): https://docs.oracle.com/database/apex-18.1/HTMIG/choosing-web-listener.htm#HTMIG29140

can i configure it in current scenario when i have already configured everything or have to re-install Apex and ORDS ?

Yes you can configure EPG when you have already configured ORDS given that you use a different ports for ORDS and EPG. No, you don't have to re-install Oracle APEX.

Moreover, ORDS is most preferred Web Listener option as compared to EPG and OHS.

Refer: https://docs.oracle.com/database/apex-18.1/HTMIG/choosing-web-listener.htm#HTMIG29322

Regards,

Kiran

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Apex 18.1, ORDS 18.1... question about epg configuration
            Ahmed Haroon

dear Kiran Pawar , thanks very much for your detailed reply

it means ( what i understand ) epg is not necessary, all things can be done using ORDS which is preferable.

will check the given links to have some valuable information.

regards

• 3. Re: Apex 18.1, ORDS 18.1... question about epg configuration
              Kiran Pawar

Hi Ahmed Haroon,

Ahmed Haroon wrote:

dear Kiran Pawar , thanks very much for your detailed reply

it means ( what i understand ) epg is not necessary, all things can be done using ORDS which is preferable.

will check the given links to have some valuable information.

regards

This does not mean EPG is not necessary. When you want to setup Oracle APEX quickly just using Oracle Database then EPG is the way to go e.g. just for trying out something or for training purposes or even for development purposes (in enterprise setup it is preferred to have DEV/UAT/PROD setup in the same way to make sure application works similarly in all 3 environments).

Note with EPG as web listener option you don't have to install/configure additional software like ORDS, Oracle WLS or Apache Tomcat or Oracle HTTP Server as EPG is HTTP Server that is embedded in Oracle Database, you just have to configure and open it for servicing web requests for Oracle APEX.

ORDS is more preferred option as it adds the RESTful Web Services, PDF Printing and other capabilities and it can be deployed to Java EE Web Servers like Oracle WLS or Apache Tomcat which gives a type of decoupled web server setup with Oracle APEX which is more preferred in all enterprise applications setup.

And yes, you can perform all the application development activities in EPG/OHS/ORDS just that with EPG/OHS you cannot use the RESTFul Web Services hosting/creating functionality in Oracle APEX as in ORDS.

Regards,

Kiran

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Apex 18.1, ORDS 18.1... question about epg configuration
                Ahmed Haroon

very impressive... you helped me and in detail guide me.

now i will use ORDS to have better functionalities and what oracle gurus are recommended for.

thanks a lot again for every thing you did for me