6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 8:41 AM by AquaNX4

Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?

AlesRRC

I would like to ask you about your experience with Oracle APEX applications during Oracle DB upgrades.

Our potential client is affraid of the risk that a lot of effort would be needed to ensure compatibility of existing application after the next Oracle DB uprgrades.

My opinion is that the application should be unaffected, but i can't find any documentation that could back up my opinion.

I would like to hear about your experienc or your opinon on this topic.

Thank you!

Best regards

• 1. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
          Franck N

Hi,

you could recieve a more appropriate answer by giving specific information about the environment to be upgraded. I mean by that DB , APEX, ords etc... Version .

regards,

Franck

• 2. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
            AlesRRC

There is no specific information becose it is a general question regarding all future upgrades.

The client is affraid of what lies in the future and i am trying to find a good argument that oracle apex applications are not affected during and after an upgrade and there are no additional cost in comparison to other technologies (like .NET or java applications).

• 3. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
              Franck N

Hi

like is said:  it all depends on the current state of their environment.

the statement that there will not be any effect after any DB upgrade is not totally true.

regards,

Franck

• 4. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
                Billy~Verreynne

Assuming the upgrade does not touch APEX (e.g. does not upgrade APEX too, or patches it), then the APEX schema should remain untouched. As it uses SYS objects (e.g. DBMS_SYS_SQL) that can be upgraded, APEX objects can be invalidated, which requires recompiling these.

And this should be the only impact. However the upgrade may change stuff that APEX relies on, like ACLs, XDB EPG, etc - and these can of course impact the APEX runtime.

Thus it is as Franck said - it depends. Each upgrade is unique ito the environment being upgraded - and needs its own evaluation for risk analysis.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
                  AndrewSayer

AlesRRC wrote:

I would like to ask you about your experience with Oracle APEX applications during Oracle DB upgrades.

Our potential client is affraid of the risk that a lot of effort would be needed to ensure compatibility of existing application after the next Oracle DB uprgrades.

My opinion is that the application should be unaffected, but i can't find any documentation that could back up my opinion.

I would like to hear about your experienc or your opinon on this topic.

Thank you!

Best regards

Every DB upgrade comes with a manual, that manual tells you exactly what behaviour has changed, what’s been depricated, what’s been removed and what’s been added. You should always read over that to make sure your custom app dependencies don’t need some work (this is the same if your application was done using any other way).

Since APEX is a critical part of the Oracle offerings, you will find that they are unlikely to make breaking changes to things it requires.

Since so many organizations run business critical APEX applications (including Oracle), you will find any changes required with simple google searches and it will not take long to apply any changes.

• 6. Re: Oracle APEX apps after Oracle DB upgrade - is it a issue?
                    AquaNX4

Hello AlesRRC:

About 5 years ago I went thru the same growing pains.  The only thing that made my boss (or client) feel better was upgrading the instance on a testing server, and showing him(her) what behavior/appearance remained the same, and what minor adjustments needed to be made after the upgrade.  This alleviated most of their fears and green-lighted the upgrade soon thereafter.

You should probably convey to your boss the risks associated if no upgrades are made.  This should help too.

Aqua

1 person found this helpful