3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2018 1:48 PM by Teresa Modesta

Not Used Metadata in PBCS? - is there a pure PBCS way to find out?

Teresa Modesta

Hi,

I was recently trying to find out which zero level members of a dimension had no data blocks populated for them.

After a complete failure of imagination on how to do this in PBCS I exported all of my zero level data, loaded it all into a database and then queried distinct uses of the dimension in question, outputted that and used excel to find out which of the zero level members of the same dimension had no data populated against it.

This worked, but was no small job due to the data volumes involved, and I was left wondering; -

"Is there a pure PBCS way to achieve the same ends, assuming the volume of my data is in the millions of combinations for zero level members?"

• 1. Re: Not Used Metadata in PBCS? - is there a pure PBCS way to find out?
          Robert Angel

I do something similar to what you have described.

The only alternatives I can think of are ; -

A. an aggregation level or calculated equivalent for your various scenarios, versions and then use your reporting cube to get a very high level balance for this meaningless sum of scenarios etc.

Any cost centres then with #Missing would be the never used.

B. create a purpose scenario / version and use business rules to add the others into it

C. Iteratively use Smart View through your various combinations of scenario / version deleting cost centres from the sheet that have <> #Missing

Which is workable if any will be dependent on the scale and structure of your cube(s).

• 2. Re: Not Used Metadata in PBCS? - is there a pure PBCS way to find out?
            USER1211

You may want to also log an Oracle SR for an enhancement request with the feature you require as you have a business case for it.

You may then  also inquire what is the current recommended Oracle workaround until they make such a feature available.

Let folks on the board know the Enhancement Request Number in case they want to file under that same number.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Not Used Metadata in PBCS? - is there a pure PBCS way to find out?
              Teresa Modesta

Thanks for the idea, I will do, not confident of traction, but you never know.

And thanks to Mr Angel also, I had not thought of some of your suggestions, and might be able to make the simple smart view solution work in an iterative way on high level members, but ultimately this feels like something that should be there, particularly with some of the limits on PBCS being lower than the on premise equivalent.

best,

Teresa X.