1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 73 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 10:11 AM by top.gun Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
        John_K

Don't get me started on the Cloud Connect forums! Clearly created to get the word "Cloud" into somewhere.

Stuff has been migrated over there that is still available on-premise, I tried logging in and couldn't because apparently "my account hadn't been migrated properly" - migrated?? Why should it be any different to the one I have here?? Then the admins wouldn't update it because I wasn't using my company email address on my main account. Eventually I got in, and it's another minefield of disparate resources.

• 31. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
          Robert Angel

Yes, so many who think you can make a good pie with cheap mince...

• 32. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
            BluShadow

Timo Hahn wrote:

I personally don't like the term 'Groundbreaker' as I don't connect any technical forum with it. Anyway much is already said about this change. I'm missing some official response here

Timo

Oracle Openworld... they're all busy. 

• 33. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
              EdStevens

fac586 wrote:

oracle_groundbreakers_branding.png

Poor branding, badly executed.

<snip>
              • "Make, break, build."
                • It is not at all clear what this tag is supposed to mean (if anything).
                • In software development "make" and "build" are essentially the same thing, so the slogan is pointlessly repetitive as well as being opaque.
                • "Break" can have several more or less technical meanings in software terms, many of them unfavourable. In juxtaposition with "build" its connotations are entirely negative.

I was getting ready to post about this one myself, then saw your comment.  My thought on seeing it was "well, Oracle met the first two: "make" and "break". "

• 34. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                Dude!

Excellent timing, but anyway, what can we expect? A change back to "DevCommunity?" What difference is this going to make? Hard to imagine but things can still go worse. Oracle may, for example, consider continuing with more fundamental changes that will put everyone back to zero.

When you make two steps backward, many people will see a single step forward as an improvement. Hence "make, break, build"

• 35. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                  Christian Berg

+1 that image is so fuzzy and blurred it was probably made by running Photoshop CS2 at 1024x768 ;-)

• 36. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                    John_K

Looks more like MS Paint to me.

• 37. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                      John_K

Christina Brashear-Oracle wrote:

and maybe most of all—for the cool stuff that you build!

Also Christina, I don't really build anything. I'm not a developer. My area of expertise is applications, hence I spend much of my time answering functional questions in spaces such as E-Business Suite. Thanks for de-recognizing me and the bunch of others in the same boat.

• 38. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                        EdStevens

Robert Angel wrote:

A lot of words, of which I would like to echo; - "If Oracle is really serious about improving this site for its members, then start by listening to them."

As a customer I never felt like Oracle listened, until I wanted to buy something.

A particular sore point with me.

About every 9 to 21 months I get a call and/or email from someone introducing themselves as my new account rep (or whatever the current job title is) and asking for an on-site visit "just to introduce ourselves and get to know about your business and how you are using Oracle."  I try to ignore the voice mails and emails, but eventually end up having to take an on-site meeting.  Then when they get here it becomes blindingly obvious that all they really want to do is sell The Cloud.  Every time, the interaction goes like this:

Oracle:  "cloud, cloud, cloud"

Me: "I'm not interested in the Cloud."

Oracle: "cloud, cloud"

Me: "I have no interest in the cloud.  There's no need to discuss that further.  But I do have a question about an issue we are having with left-hand smoke shifters, and we're not getting anywhere with Support"

Oracle: "Sure.  I'll check into that for you and get back".

<crickets>

The last time was especially notable.  I told them there was no point in an on-site visit, but they insisted they were going to be in town anyway to see other customers, so I relented.  The first thing I told them when we sat down in the conference room was that I had zero interest in The Cloud and there was no point in even discussing it. The Cloud is off the table. End of Discussion. Full Stop. There was a big long "pregnant pause" as the two reps looked at each other.  You could almost see the cartoon "thought balloons", saying "what do we do now?"   Eventually they tried to make small talk, asked a few questions about the nature of our business (did they not do any homework at all?), made some minor probes to try to lead to other sales.  Finally I did bring up an open issue we were having with a license change, which they of course promised to check on.  And of course we never heard from them again.  Until a few months later when I got a voice mail asking if we had reconsidered about The Cloud.

• 39. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                          Zlatko Sirotic

The old proverb says: "The picture is worth a thousand words".

It seems that the marketing version (in the software industry) is like this: "Marketing slogan is worth a million lines of code".

Dear colleagues, software and hardware engineers, we are guilty, because we allow marketing "experts" to disparage our knowledge and our work.

Regards,

Zlatko

• 40. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                            Robert Angel

Substitute Exalytics for cloud and move the clock back a few years and my experience was exactly the same. They were really deflated when I had done my job so well with OBIEE that the kind of performance they were promising with Exalytics I had already achieved....

The salesmen must be told that empathy is achieved by pretending to listen to the problems, knowing all the while it is only a prelude to selling you 'X'. Rather like the kind of conversation you have with an evangelist who is just waiting to tell you 'god' is the answer...

Love your dog btw - what is he??

• 41. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                              Chitrasai1-Oracle

We respect all your opinions about our new name.

Our team is continuously working on bringing new programs .We’ve created programs to support people building database,cloud-native applications.

Talking about Recognition programs ,

Real World rewards has been stopped  for a reason .We are working on bringing something which is valuable for our users contributions.But it does not mean we are not recognizing.We are doing it in other ways .

We have Ground breakers Ambassadors, Oracle ACE, Java Champions. Visit here for more information https://developer.oracle.com/ambassador

About Nothing new happening questions?

We are updating latest technology information in developer.oracle.com.We are conducting Oracle Code Online for the users who are not able to attend events in person .Code One events will have hands on lab,IOT workshops , latest database releases  and much more.This evolution is powered by a diverse of population of developers,data engineers,system admins giving rise to a new name.

If you are talking about platform issues,

We appreciate your feedback about the navigation issues,Getting confused where to search issues.We have search bar where you can type the product type which shows the result for relevant issues thread/space.

Community gets updated on User’s feedback. We are taking forward your ideas and working on implementing it .We have implemented many ideas in past which shows we do LISTEN to users feedback.

Banner image issue,

We have given the feedback  to development team to provide us a better banner which is crisp and clear .

Please be informed we are working on making the platform easily accessible for our users. We will update you soon.

Appreciate  your patience and understanding.

• 42. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                Dude!

Talking about Recognition programs ,

Real World rewards has been stopped  for a reason .We are working on bringing something which is valuable for our users contributions.But it does not mean we are not recognizing.We are doing it in other ways .

We have Ground breakers Ambassadors, Oracle ACE, Java Champions. Visit here for more information https://developer.oracle.com/ambassador

You mean Real World rewards like childish paper stickers and embarrassing Guru letters?

Ground breakers Ambassadors, Oracle ACE, Java Champions. Well, as I mentioned earlier, not everyone is fancy nominations. And besides, none of these nominations reflect community participation or depend on it.

Sorry, I don't think you fully understand the motives why people are participating or what people like me consider worthwhile.

• 43. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                  EdStevens

Robert Angel wrote:

<snip>

Love your dog btw - what is he??

Kris was an English Setter / Pointer mix.  Very sweet nature.  Lost him a couple of years ago and I still miss him.

• 44. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                    Chitrasai1-Oracle

You mean Real World rewards like childish paper stickers and embarrassing Guru letters?

Ground breakers Ambassadors, Oracle ACE, Java Champions. Well, as I mentioned earlier, not everyone is fancy nominations. And besides, none of these nominations reflect community participation or depend on it.

Sorry, I don't think you understand the motives why people are participating or what people like me consider a worthwhile recognition.

Thats what I said "we are working on something which adds value to our users contribution"

With all other factors Community participation is also considered while nominations.It's a important fact for recognition.

I do understand the motive .I would love to know what you (our users) consider as a worthwhile recognition.