1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 73 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 10:11 AM by top.gun Go to original post
      • 45. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
        EdStevens

Chitrasai1-Oracle wrote:

You mean Real World rewards like childish paper stickers and embarrassing Guru letters?

Ground breakers Ambassadors, Oracle ACE, Java Champions. Well, as I mentioned earlier, not everyone is fancy nominations. And besides, none of these nominations reflect community participation or depend on it.

Sorry, I don't think you understand the motives why people are participating or what people like me consider a worthwhile recognition.

Thats what I said "we are working on something which adds value to our users contribution"

With all other factors Community participation is also considered while nominations.It's a important fact for recognition.

I do understand the motive .I would love to know what you (our users) consider as a worthwhile recognition.

Personally, the only recognition I care about is when some other participant that I've grown to respect makes a positive comment about something I've written.

I very rarely look at my "ranking', and then only out of curiosity.

I ignore the emails about "earning a badge, claim your reward", etc.

• 46. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
          Dude!

Well, I changed my previous response to "fully understand," but your answer came too quickly.  I'm sure there is understanding, but considering current recognition options, which have been for many years, I conclude there must be lack of understanding motives. Perhaps the powers that be need to recognize that there are other personalities in the community than their own. Hence my previous response that people in charge may have bought too much into their own binary.

The way I see it, recognition in the "free community" should purely be based on community participation, hence about contributing information and answering people's questions. It has to be automatic and not subject to "brown nosing" or people perception, and not rely on "speaker," "running an external website," or any other marketing aspect Oracle may wish to control or influence.

• 47. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
            Dude!

Recognition and visibility are the most important key aspects for people to participate on a regular basis in an online community. What recognition and visibility does the platform offer based on community participation that reflects people's motive to become recognized as experts in specific technical areas?

• 48. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
              Robert Angel

Wow, sincerely very sorry if I rubbed lemon juice in that wound, I know people who miss their ex-dog more than their ex-spouse...

I would have guessed great dane from the head shape.

Sorry for your loss, as someone said on a tribute site to Charles M Schulz - thank you for sharing your dog with the world.

• 49. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                Robert Angel

Hi,

on recognition we are providing free support to the wider Oracle community, how about you provide free training in leaderboard subjects (if you are on the leaderboard you get one online course in that subject to use at your discretion per year) so we always do it well, if it was online this would have minimal incremental cost to Oracle. Also, how about allowing us access, via a controlled interface, to the developers to feed in our ideas for the product in question, so we are also good ambassadors who are fully bought in to the development process.

Also, merge MOS and OTN (Call it what you will) and stop this two tier nonsense.

Customers still have the option to waste their time logging an SR via MOS....

• 50. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                  EdStevens

Robert Angel wrote:

Wow, sincerely very sorry if I rubbed lemon juice in that wound, I know people who miss their ex-dog more than their ex-spouse...

Sorry for your loss, as someone said on a tribute site to Charles M Schulz - thank you for sharing your dog with the world.

No apology needed.  I've had many dogs in my life and losing them is part of having them.  Kris was my favorite. 

But we digress .... if you'd like to discuss dogs, send me a friend request so we can take it off-line.  I don't normally accept requests, but I'll make an exception.

• 51. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                    BluShadow

Robert Angel wrote:

Hi,

on recognition we are providing free support to the wider Oracle community, how about you provide free training in leaderboard subjects (if you are on the leaderboard you get one online course in that subject to use at your discretion per year) so we always do it well, if it was online this would have minimal incremental cost to Oracle. Also, how about allowing us access, via a controlled interface, to the developers to feed in our ideas for the product in question, so we are also good ambassadors who are fully bought in to the development process.

Also, merge MOS and OTN (Call it what you will) and stop this two tier nonsense.

Customers still have the option to waste their time logging an SR via MOS....

For that, the leaderboards would have to be reliable.

• 52. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                      Robert Angel

lol - for all the wrong reasons!!!

• 53. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                        Zlatko Sirotic

(Very short) manifesto against fragile software / hardware marketing:

Working software / hardware over marketing slogans.

That is, while there is (some) value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left (much) more.

Notes:

1. I wrote the above text as proof that we, software / hardware engineers, can also write slogans. But, it is much harder to write a code, especially the one that is correct.

2. I know the term "fragile marketing" (already) exists, with meaning that is not (completely) the same as the one I used above.

• 54. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                          Chitrasai1-Oracle
                          That is, while there is (some) value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left (much) more.

Agile Manifesto

• 55. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                            jgarry

Robert Angel wrote:

I also thought Dane.

• 56. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                              Robert Angel

I am honored to be an exception, especially as it started with my size ten foot in mouth....

• 57. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                KayK

Just found here Oracle Open World 24th October Happenings the following:

Wednesday Keynote: Groundbreakers: The Code Avengers     https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=0FlHWdcViB0

Jump to 41:05, do we all need some kind of superhero costumes now ;-))  

• 58. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                  Marwim

do we all need some kind of superhero costumes now ;-))

Perhaps that's meant by

We are working on bringing something which is valuable for our users contributions.

SCNR

• 59. Re: Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...
                                    Dude!

I couldn't be bothered to watch it till the end. It's neither funny nor entertaining. What a waste of people's time!