1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 10:40 AM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

New to SQL Developer, need help

avgolubev

Hi everybody.

Having trouble with «Oracle SQL Developer» I decided to write about all shortcomings.

My version is 18.2.0.183.

Troubles:

1. Quite often a task is started when comparing a package. As a result, it is impossible to work in the program because of the slow response, it does not exist at all.

2. You cannot run more than one query on different tabs on the same connection. As an example, you can take «PL/SQL Developer» where possible.

3. The tooltip object structures. They work whenever and however they please.

4. The new object search will erase the previous tab with the search results.

I hope you will take note of my comments.

With best regards,

Andrei Golubev.

Message was edited by: thatJeffSmith-Oracle you say you didn't mean to cause offense so i took you at your word and helped you get closer to your target - understanding how to use sql developer

• 1. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
          Mike Kutz

Dear (select sys_guid() from dual)

You can update your screen name that is recognizable to others by following this video.

Video tutorial how to change nickname available

Cheers!

MK

• 2. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
            Mike Kutz

1) comparing packages.

I have know idea what you are doing when you compare packages.

My workflow, and most others, only compares versions of a package.  This is done by using a Code Repository and clicking on the "history" tab.

You can also view worksheet side-by-side.

Beyond that, please start a new thread with explanation of "how to reproduce" and any other observations.  Screen shots would be very useful.

2) Can't run >1 SQL in >1 Shared Worksheet.

No {stinky brown stuff)!

All Shared Worksheets use the same DB Session.  You can't run more than 1 SQL statements in the same DB Session;  You can't run more than 1 SQL statements across multiple Shared Worksheets.

Instead of using Shared Worksheets, use Un-shared Worksheets.  https://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2017/10/opening-unshared-worksheets-via-the-keyboard/

Be careful, each worksheet will use its own connection to the DB.  If the DBA doesn't like you and you have 50+ tabs open .......

3) tooltip

This sounds like a configuration problem.  If you post up (in a new thread) what you see and what you want, we should be able to help.

I think the keyboard shortcut is "CTRL-Space".  (when I do that, I start typing in Chinese - its an OS thing)

4) object search

I can see how that is annoying.  At the same time, I may not want 20+ tabs of Search Results.

final thought

You are obviously new to SQL*Developer.  Assuming that Application X works exactly the same as Application Y is ........ foolish (at best).

I suggest you take the time to learn the new tool instead of making brash remarks about how it doesn't operate like your current tool.  A good starting place is ThatJeffSmith's blog pages.https://www.thatjeffsmith.com/

My $0.02

MK

• 3. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

if you don't want the search results to go away when you do a new search, pin the results

• 4. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts

I can't believe such a reputable company would create such a useless thing.

Then you should contact Oracle and let them know your concerns. Posting in a public forum is pretty useless if you are sincere about wanting to let Oracle know your opinion.

• 5. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                  EdStevens

I see you just joined the forum and this is your first and only post.

Are you the same guy that, first day on the job, starts complaining about how the company does business, how the department is run, and the selection of snacks in the vending machine?  All before he has even learned where the restrooms are located ...

• 6. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                    Glen Conway

1. Quite often a task is started when comparing a package. As a result, it is impossible to work in the program because of the slow response, it does not exist at all.

The most recent discussion on this known problem is PL/SQL Package "Placemarker" not showing in bottom left of Code Editor (v18)

To make a long story short, disable the Supported Gutter Navigation preference in Tools -> Preferences -> Code Editor.

Good luck learning how to use a really great Oracle tool -- the effort you make in learning about it will be worth the investment.

• 9. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                      avgolubev

EdStevens написал(а):

Are you the same guy that...

has been working with Oracle DB and other DBs about 15 years and knows how normal software tools should work.

If you have nothing to say on these issues, please refrain from comments.

• 10. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                        avgolubev

Mike Kutz написал(а):

1) comparing packages.

You are obviously new to SQL*Developer. Assuming that Application X works exactly the same as Application Y is ........ foolish (at best).

I suggest you take the time to learn the new tool instead of making brash remarks about how it doesn't operate like your current tool. A good starting place is ThatJeffSmith's blog pages.https://www.thatjeffsmith.com/

I probably incorrectly explained a problem on the first point.

The problem is when you just work in SQL DEVELOPER, a some task appears automatically, which is visible in the status bar and is called a comparison of package or subprogram.

So this task loads the entire computer at 100% and SQL DEVELOPER itself can not work, only helps to kill it.

As for the study, of course I read the documentation on this software, but did not find answers to my questions. And let's be honest, all that concerns the user friendliness and usability Oracle has never been able to do this normally. This applies to the DBMS, and the oracle reports generator, and this software.

• 11. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Your post is not friendly, I want to help people, but you aren't making that very easy here.

• 12. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                            EdStevens

avgolubev wrote:

EdStevens написал(а):

Are you the same guy that...

has been working with Oracle DB and other DBs about 15 years and knows how normal software tools should work.

If you have nothing to say on these issues, please refrain from comments.

15 years!  Let me give you a bit of career (and life) advice, Young Grasshopper.  It could be embarrassing to try to get into a spitting match with a stranger over how much experience you've had.  You never know how much the stranger has.  And over the course of my career I've seen many people brag about their 'x' years of experience when what they really have is 1 year of experience, repeated 'x' times.

• 13. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                              Mike Kutz

avgolubev wrote:

Mike Kutz написал(а):

1) comparing packages.

You are obviously new to SQL*Developer. Assuming that Application X works exactly the same as Application Y is ........ foolish (at best).

I suggest you take the time to learn the new tool instead of making brash remarks about how it doesn't operate like your current tool. A good starting place is ThatJeffSmith's blog pages.https://www.thatjeffsmith.com/

I probably incorrectly explained a problem on the first point.

The problem is when you just work in SQL DEVELOPER, a some task appears automatically, which is visible in the status bar and is called a comparison of package or subprogram.

So this task loads the entire computer at 100% and SQL DEVELOPER itself can not work, only helps to kill it.

As for the study, of course I read the documentation on this software, but did not find answers to my questions. And let's be honest, all that concerns the user friendliness and usability Oracle has never been able to do this normally. This applies to the DBMS, and the oracle reports generator, and this software.

In order to focus on this problem, I recommend you start a new thread.

Make sure you include sufficient information so that we can repeat what you see.  After that, we (the community) should be able to help resolve this issue.

Oh - a quick guideline for asking questions:  (make sure you read all of that page, not just that post, as it goes into some common questions)

Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

MK

• 14. Re: Oracle SQL Developer is a school crafts
                                avgolubev

thatJeffSmith-Oracle написал(а):

Your post is not friendly, I want to help people, but you aren't making that very easy here.

My post is not friendly just for oracle company, not for you.

1 2 Previous Next