8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2019 11:41 AM by Sven W.

A Summary Review of Oracle Jet

neounix

I recently completed the excellent Oracle video tutorial on Oracle JET and created a simple Linux dashboard for a server using JET.    Basically, I really enjoyed learning and using JET and found building a web application using JET very easy.    The Oracle JET Cookbook is really excellent, for sure.

Of course, with all things in the universe, there are good and bad, plusses and minuses.   So here is my review:

A Quick Web Developers Review of Oracle JET

I encourage all web developers to try Oracle JET and see how JET fits into your web dev projects.

• 1. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
          Andrew Bennett

I'm not an Oracle employee so there is no bias here.

• What makes you think that you can only use Netbeans? You can do 100% of the development in VIM for all they care. All Netbeans gives you is a bit of autocompletion, I don't use it myself I can't stand it.
          • Knockout vs Jquery. You've only played around with a personal single dashboard, take that to an enterprise level application and very very quickly using jquery for updating element values etc will make you want to shoot yourself in the face. Knockout or any binding layer is a blessing
          • Without RequireJS or webpack the dependancy management of all your libraries at enterprise level would also make you want to shoot yourself in the face. JET has support for both implementations.
          • I agree with the forums and some of their pages being buggy, it's written using APEX I believe, and they are currently rewriting all the cloud products using JET. Understandably something like a forum is going to be the last thing they prioritise over the cloud solutions. I hear there is over 100 production applications that have been rewritten so far.
          • Can't comment on cordova, I haven't had an excuse to build a mobile app yet.
          • It might be dependant on other 3rd party libraries, but they are all versioned and only pull in the stable compatible files. You've got to be pretty naive to think that react etc doesn't use an abundance of 3rd party libraries.
          • Hopefully your cordova question will be answered soon, it's been Oracle Open World last week so a lot of the team have been at that event.

There is a lot more depth to the features that you wouldn't have come close to on a small project, some of which only become apparent when using big data / crud / advanced visualisations.

Andy

• 2. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
            neounix

Hi Andrew,

I am curious.   Assuming you are a web developer, what IDE to you use to develop web applications?   From you post it seems you do not use any IDE?

Most people I know, in fact nearly 100% of the web developers I know, use Visual Studio Code (VSC).  One of the most important features for all these web developers in Intellisense.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/intellisense

In fact, most people I know who are web developers say the same thing "Intellisense is something you cannot live without once use use it. But before you use it,  you never think you need it".   LOL

In the main Oracle JET visual tutorial, the Oracle developer who teaches JET and uses NetBeans and refers to NetBeans in just about every segment of the Oracle JET video and even shows

how NetBeans support Oracle JET development.   He stresses during the entire series how great he things NetBeans is for Oracle JET.   So, it is obvious that many people at Oracle care about NetBeans

even if you do not.

Oracle JET does not have an extension for Visual Studio Code, so when you reply:

• What makes you think that you can only use Netbeans? You can do 100% of the development in VIM for all they care. All Netbeans gives you is a bit of autocompletion, I don't use it myself I can't stand it.

I agree with you that NetBeans is not very good; and I never said "you can only use NetBeans".   I take exception to your false information in your reply.  Read my review.  I never said

what you posted, and honestly, it is not very helpful to say someone said something they did not say. Really.

Visual Studio Code is an amazing web developer's IDE, and most of the most popular Javascript frameworks support Visual Studio Code.

For you to say "use it myself I can't stand it" is just your  opinion and if you don't like using a great IDE to develop web apps in then that is fine my me; but

you should not misquote others, nor should you discount a great IDE  (Visual Studio Code) which you do not use.

On the other hand, you are certainly not going to convince the over 2,600,000 people use Visual Studio  Code every month that a great IDE like VSC is not a good thing.

In my opinion, and in the opinion of others, the fact that Oracle JET does not have a VSC extension is a major drawback.  You are welcome to disagree, but not to misquote me.

If you do not agree with the over 2,600,000  people who  use VSC each month in their app development, and love it, then that is up to you.

For our review, we reiterate that Oracle JET's lack of support for VSC is a major drawback.

Cheers.

• 3. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
              Andrew Bennett

That's now how I read it, it read like you could only do development in Netbeans which is wrong. I use VSC myself, and happy to sacrifice intellisense to not have to use Netbeans.

It'd be great to have a plugin for it, if you are after some form of intellisense then you can look at using typescript for JET applications. Currently doing this myself and it gives you all of the suggestions https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/jet/6/reference-typescript/TypescriptOverview.html

Andy

• 4. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
                ZacD

In regards to your comments around the "you can only use NetBeans" statement, here are a couple quotes directly from your review:

So, you did say, or at the very least imply, that NetBeans was the only IDE that could be used for JET, and that is a patently false statement.  Yes, the JET tutorial videos often show and reference NetBeans, but if memory serves me correct, they also state that JET coding can be done in any text/code editor out there.  Heck, you could code everything in Notepad or VI if you were feeling particularly masochistic.  So, using Visual Studio Code is perfectly acceptable.  You may be right that support for some of the VSC features (e.g. IntelliSense) is limited right now, but that doesn't mean you can't use the IDE.  In regards to the future enhanced support for VSC, someone like John 'JB' Brock-Oracle may be able to speak to what Oracle's plans are.

Also, you should take your own advice and not misquote others.  Andrew clearly states:

That means he does not use NetBeans and does not like itHe never said anything about VSC in his original post.

• 5. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
                  neounix

I am not really following the logic of your replies.  The replies seem to defy logic and are more defensive than factual.   My review says exactly these two statements:

1.  In addition, JET only supports the NetBeans IDE and had not announced any concrete plans to support other major web developer IDE's like Visual Studio Code or Sublime.

Reply:  This is a 100% true statement.   There is only JET support for the NetBeans IDE and Oracle has not announced any plans to support any other IDE.  100% factual, hands down.

2. Also, the fact that JET seems married to NetBeans with no support for Visual Studio Code really caused me to pause again.

Reply:  This is a 100% true statement and is the same as Fact 1 above and YES this causes me and others I have talked to to pause.   YMMV.

I fully stand by my review and there is nothing in my statements above to correspond to the complete misquote below:

What makes you think that you can only use Netbeans?  -- Andrew

Reply.  Again, there is zero, nothing in statements 1 and 2 above which says to use JET you can only use NetBeans.    My statements are crystal clear:

FACT:  Oracle JET only supports (meaning having an IDE extension support) NetBeans and there is no Oracle JET extension for VSC or any other 10 top web development IDE.  This statement is about IDEs

and IDE extensions.   People who actually use an IDE like VSC when doing web development,  understand the benefits, LOL. I use Visual Studio Code and I think it is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT and so do everyone

I know.  I stopped writing code in VI years ago, even though I do use VI to fix and maintain code on the server, but when actually writing an app on the desktop, I use the VSC IDE and love it.

The fact that one developer likes to use an IDE when he or she develops web apps on the desktop and that another does not like using an IDE, has little to do with the hard fact that millions of web developers use an IDE monthly to develop web apps.

IDEs are important for millions of web developers.   Over 2,800,000 developers use Visual Studio Code every month and VSC is just one IDE.    Many years ago, and for many years, I wrote all my code in VI.  VI is great    However, for writing code,

especially Javascript, I prefer Visual Studio Code, which coincidentally is the #1 Javascript IDE today and for good reason.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is a negative in my view that Oracle JET does not provide any IDE extension to any IDE except for NetBeans.  That is my opinion and I stand 100% behind it.

I think it a great that VSC supports ReactJS and AngularJS (etc), out-of-the-box; and this is a great plus for ReactJS, AngularJS, and more; and it is a negative for JET that Oracle does not support any IDE other than NetBeans.

FACT:  Oracle JET does not support any web developer IDE except the NetBeans IDE.

As I wrote in my review; there are many good things about Oracle JET, including the JET Cookbook; there are pros and cons to JET, like all frameworks and libs.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
                    Duncan Mills-Oracle

neounix  I want to clarify something here - your statements 1 & 2 are not correct (note who I work for) JET has always been intended to be IDE / editor agnostic. This was a deliberate decision from day 1 and why we have put a lot of work into the ojet CLI to handle tasks such as  scaffolding and building in an IDE agnostic manner.  Yes, some tooling-support has been produced for Netbeans but that was created by the Netbeans team not the JET team, there is also a great deal of tooling support in Visual Builder Cloud Service.  However, there is no anticipation or requirement that JET Developers use either of these

Absolutely we'd like to have tooling support for every popular editor out there and, as in the example of the recent TypeScript support which will give you that for VSC if you're into TS.   These things will come with time I'm sure, and of course we'd always encourage the community  to pitch in with extensions for their favoured editor.

• 7. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
                      oladayo.s

While I am not by any means a good jscript developer, I'm from the java/jee/adf ecosystem. However I'm a fan of more lightweight frontend implementations. However in my quest to choose an all round frontend implementation framework/library without having to become a javascript developer though I know my html and can combine libraries to do anything i want to do, I have looked out on that one opensource toolkit that can take me where i want to get with minimal disruption. The video below kinda gave me the answers I needed to commit to oracle jet, asides from the 100% opensource pledge from "ORACLE". I've invested my resources heavily in oracle paid products so by god i'll grab everything free from ORACLE. https://youtu.be/Y4OOFdwjimY Take a listen/watch, perhaps it might restore some confidence on the thought process of the birth of jet.

• 8. Re: A Summary Review of Oracle Jet
                        Sven W.

I don't understand your arguments. What feature is missing so that you would be able or being more comfortable developing OJET in VCS?

I'm currently using ATOM for javascript development and consider to move to VSC.