1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 5:19 AM by Billy~Verreynne

Developer Access of Pages

Debrajgh_

Hi

I want to control the access of pages to the developers. Not all developers can make changes to all pages.

Any way?

Thanks

Debraj

• 1. Re: Developer Access of Pages
          Billy~Verreynne

Why?

What are the HR or business reasons behind this?

• 2. Re: Developer Access of Pages
            Debrajgh_

Some pages in the applications are critical and are not allowed to be viewed by all developers.

A developer can look into only those pages which he is assigned to.

Thats the reason

• 3. Re: Developer Access of Pages
              Alli Pierre Yotti

Debrajgh_ wrote:

Some pages in the applications are critical and are not allowed to be viewed by all developers.

A developer can look into only those pages which he is assigned to.

Thats the reason

One way would be to lock the page. In this case, all developers were able to view the pages but could not change them

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-02 um 15.17.01.png

• 4. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                Debrajgh_

I also believe thats the only way you can restrict developers to access any page. However, this is not going to solve the way client wants.

There is a concept of User Groups and Page groups, but literally I dont see any usage of those.

I would request Oracle team to check the feasibility of this requirement. This is truly a high demand, I believe.

Thanks

Debraj

• 5. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                  TexasApexDeveloper

I, as a developer would be VERY LEARY of working in your group then.. It sounds like you are VERY PARANOID..  If you can't trust developer's to see pages in the application they are working on, then why should they trust you?

Thank you,

Tony Miller

White Rock, NM

• 6. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                    Billy~Verreynne

I dislike the concept of treating developers as untrustworthy, in this fashion. They should have a secure development environment, with test data that does not expose business sensitive production data, or "secrets".

They need to be empowered to do their job well - and secretive development processes, or pages, do not create a healthy working environment.

• 7. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                      Pavel_p

Hi Debraj,

I don't share your opinion that "This is truly a high demand". I don't even think it makes sense to have such a requirement as I don't understand how pages can be critical - they surely can expose critical and sensitive data but there is nothing critical on pages. Page is just a "view" of some underlying data model and/or business logic. If the developer is supposed to develop something reasonable, he should be familiar with the data model and the business logic, thus if the developer understands the data model (which is a necessary condition to develop), he does not need to see the page to imagine what it could probably contain. Lot of pages is directly based on tables/views and if the developer can see the structure in the DB, I cannot imagine what surprise he might find on the page itself (if the app is designed properly). Another best practice is to store as much of a business logic as possible in the database, so if the page is based on the [package.]procedure, he can safely assume that the page contains items that this particular procedure takes as input parameters (if not, there is something wrong with the design) and who cares how these items are physically organized on the page.

Another thing is to have some ability to substitute one member of the team by another if necessary. With this approach you'll have to keep an army of developers, so if the client has such interesting requirements, make sure he is also willing to pay for it (another thing is where to find such an army of at least mediocre APEX devs).

All in all (aside from ethical questions like who is trustworthy or not), if I was to join such a team, my impression would be that there are some suspicious practices and I would hardly earn enough money for living, so the best thing I can do is to look elsewhere (which is not that tough as, at least in my country, IT pros are highly sought-after).

Regards,

Pavel

• 8. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                        Debrajgh_

Hi All

All the answers to my question lead me confused as whether this is a technical forum or forum of philosophy.

I truly agree to all your answers that ethically THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG. We should trust everyone in this beautiful world. But there is a but after that. And the BUT is - "The Beautiful World Always does not go by Ethics". Even though all on the earth are beautiful persons but mistakes do happen. Now the question is - whether to take preventive or corrective measure. It depends on your past experience. It happened many a times that some learned persons wanted to prove their expertise and eventually messed up the entire thing. Initially, I took the pain on behalf of them, took corrective measure and humbly requested them to be very careful when handling other components which you should avoid. But still some learned person have immense curiosity and that lead to the same situation again. And alas I am in soup again. Now only thing left for me is to take preventive measure.

So keeping ethics aside, I wanted to know if there is any such preventive measure available within Apex that will make my life and my client's life happy and peaceful.

And its really good to know there are people in this forum who have good ethics. But for this issue, I have to keep my ethics aside.

Thanks

Debraj

• 9. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                          AndrewSayer

Debrajgh_ wrote:

Hi All

All the answers to my question lead me confused as whether this is a technical forum or forum of philosophy.

I truly agree to all your answers that ethically THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG. We should trust everyone in this beautiful world. But there is a but after that. And the BUT is - "The Beautiful World Always does not go by Ethics". Even though all on the earth are beautiful persons but mistakes do happen. Now the question is - whether to take preventive or corrective measure. It depends on your past experience. It happened many a times that some learned persons wanted to prove their expertise and eventually messed up the entire thing. Initially, I took the pain on behalf of them, took corrective measure and humbly requested them to be very careful when handling other components which you should avoid. But still some learned person have immense curiosity and that lead to the same situation again. And alas I am in soup again. Now only thing left for me is to take preventive measure.

So keeping ethics aside, I wanted to know if there is any such preventive measure available within Apex that will make my life and my client's life happy and peaceful.

And its really good to know there are people in this forum who have good ethics. But for this issue, I have to keep my ethics aside.

Thanks

Debraj

There should be ZERO development access to your production pages.

One solution:

Have a development environment, have a production environment which is just runtime.

When you have changes that have been well tested and signed off to go live, promote it to production.

• 10. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                            Karthikeyan.R-Oracle

Hi Debraj,

Before I proceed with the solution, please confirm is my understanding correct on your requirement.

Let us assume, your project/application has three different modules and there are three group of developers will work on those modules and each developer group should not have access to other's modules. But ultimately all the modules should be integrated as a single project/application.

Regards,

R.Karthikeyan

• 11. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                              Debrajgh_

Hi Karthikeyan

You assumed correct.

• 12. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                                Karthikeyan.R-Oracle

Hi Debraj,

The solution is you have to maintain each module in different workspace and give access to each developer group for the respective workspace.

Workspace1 for module1(ex: it will have 20 pages) give access to developer group 1

Workspace2 for module2(ex: it will have 15 pages) give access to developer group 2

Workspace3 for module3(ex: it will have 25 pages) give access to developer group 3

Workspace 4 for to integrate all this modules

You haven't mentioned about how you will maintain the backend objects. If you are maintaining Database objects in different schema for each module then workspaces also point to the respective schemas. Else all the workspaces can point to same schema.

Hope this approach will resolve your problem.

Regards,

R.Karthikeyan

• 13. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                                  Debrajgh_

Hi Karthikeyan

Thanks for your reply. Infact, we are currently observing this approach only. I wanted to know if there is any other way to do it.

Thanks

Debraj

• 14. Re: Developer Access of Pages
                                    Karthikeyan.R-Oracle

Hi Debraj,

I am happy to hear you have already implemented this solution. But you have never mentioned your current approach anywhere in this thread.

If you are looking for developer access restriction within the same workspace then the answer is NO. Because the APEX workspace is intended to share a work area for more than one developer.

Regards,

R.Karthikeyan.

1 2 Previous Next