2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2018 9:41 AM by Dude!

RMAN Restore: ORA-19599 block number 2296544 is corrupt in backup piece

Hey guys,

Need help. The only backup pieces are compressed . I only managed to restore the controlfile . but not the data files.Help me.

The exact error

channel ORA_DISK_1: reading from backup piece /oraclebackup/rmanbackup/XXX/backupset/fullbackupjkteuqhd_1_1

channel ORA_DISK_1: ORA-19870: error while restoring backup piece /oraclebackup/rmanbackup/XXX/backupset/fullbackupjkteuqhd_1_1

ORA-19599: block number 2296544 is corrupt in backup piece /oraclebackup/rmanbackup/XXX/backupset/fullbackupjkteuqhd_1_1

• 1. Re: RMAN Restore: ORA-19599 block number 2296544 is corrupt in backup piece
          top.gun

ORA-19599: block number <varname>string</varname> is corrupt in <varname>string</varname> <varname>string</varname> 

Cause: A corrupt block was found in a control file, archived log, or backup piece that is being read for a backup or copy. Corruption shall not be tolerated in control files, archived logs, or backup pieces. 

Action: None. The copy or backup operation fails. Note that in the case of a backup set, the conversation is still active and the piece may be retried.

So if you are trying to restore a production database, then I'd say you need to raise an Oracle SR to get Oracle advice on what to do.

• 2. Re: RMAN Restore: ORA-19599 block number 2296544 is corrupt in backup piece
            Dude!

The only backup pieces are compressed

Meaning?

I suggest checking whether the I/O error is because of bad hardware or a bad connection. If the backup files are indeed corrupt, then the backup is useless. You may have alternative options to restore the database, but unless you provide more information....