0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2018 8:44 PM by EdStevens

Restoring entire VM

EdStevens

I have received notice that my workstation, currently running Win7 Pro, is to be completely reimaged with Win10.  My biggest concern is saving my VBox guest machine – 10 of them and all critical to my own testing. 

High level plan is to copy the directories containing the VMs to an external drive. Then after the re-image, install VBox, re-create the VM “home” directory (the specified default location for placing the VMs), copy the directories back from the external, then ‘plug them in’ with Vbox Manager -> Maciine -> Add …

To test this out, I did the following:

• created a VM named ‘vbmigtest’ running Oracle Linux. 
      • Zipped up the entire ‘vbmigtest’ directory, then deleted it
      • Deleted the ‘vbmigtest’ machine, selecting to ‘including files’, from the VBox Manager navigation tree.
      • Checked the Virtual Media Manager to insure there were no virtual disks for ‘vbmigtest’ still hanging around in VBox’s internal inventory.
      • Unzipped the ‘vbmigest’ directory back to its original location.
      • From the Vbox Manager menu, selected ‘Machine’ -> ‘Add ..’
      • Drilled down to ‘vbmigtest’ and selected ‘vbmigtest.vbox’.

Got this message in a pop-up:

Failed to open virtual machine located in C:/VMLab/VirtualBoxVMs/vbmigtest/vbmigtest.vbox.

Medium 'C:\VMLab\VirtualBoxVMs\vbmigtest\vbmigtest.vdi' cannot be closed because it is still attached to 1 virtual machines.

Result Code:

VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)

Component:

MediumWrap

Interface:

IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

Callee:

IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}

Callee RC:

VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

And from there, going back to Virtual Media Manager I see this new entry that was not there before I opened ‘machine .. new’. Showing both the ‘information’ and ‘attributes’ tab.

So I'm obviously overlooking something that needs to be cleaned out to make VBox forget there was ever a machine named 'vbmigtest' ... just as it would be for a new installation on a new computer.