5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2006 11:05 AM by 516251 RSS

Success or Horror Stories?

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone willing to share their experiences with Ultrasearch. What do you like and/or hate about it? Is anyone using it to crawl external websites? Do you know of any companies that are using it?

Thanks,

Greg
        • 1. Re: Success or Horror Stories?
          Chris Antognini
          Greg
          What do you like and/or hate about it?
          + Good integration if you store document in different places (database, file system, web servers, ...).
          + Free if you already have a database license.

- API between application server and database use object types.
          - API not or badly documented.
          - Performance
          - Oracle is "replacing" it with Secure Search
          Do you know of any companies that are using it?
          We have some customers using it. One example that is on the Internet is available at http://www.swisspost.ch (there is a "search box" on the homepage).

HTH
          Chris
          • 2. Re: Success or Horror Stories?
            Thanks for the input. I guess your the last person on the forum.

Regarding performance, are you talking about search or crawling or indexing? I'm thinking it would be best to avoid the api for search and just use the CONTAINS syntax in SQL.

I'm not afraid of the "replace" path, I think this is just a natural progression from them acquiring Triple Hop. But have you seen the price, outrageous!
            • 3. Re: Success or Horror Stories?
              Chris Antognini
              Greg

About performance... I cannot compare the performance with other products because I didn't had the chance to do some real comparison. But my feeling is that in all situations (i.e. search, crawling and indexing) performance could/should be better. Sorry, I cannot provide you a more precise answer, i.e. you should try it and see if the actual performance you are satisfied or not.

HTH
              Chris
              • 4. Re: Success or Horror Stories?
                Gab2
                I've found Oracle text search to be inaccurate to the point that we're looking into other alternatives such as Autonomy. That and the array of bugs that prevented any successful implementation that we tried, with ora-20000 errors every time we ran a query that joined more than 2 tables or so. I'll give you an example of inaccuracy: I have a document that contains the following text "Please consult the requirements section". If I run a query looking for "please consult", I get one row. If I look for "requirements section", I get none. The same is true if I have documents that contain the words "TEST ABC", a query for "TEST ABC" will return a certain number of rows but "ABC TEST" will return something different. I have some tars and bugs open with regards to this issue but have not heard anything in over 3 months even if the category is "severe loss of service". This technology is useless to us, at least in its current implementation (we're using 10gR2 on 64-bits), too bad because it looks good on paper.
                • 5. Re: Success or Horror Stories?
                  Thanks for the frank input.