10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2018 6:31 PM by andreml

    Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions

    Ali_Allawi

      Hello Everyone,

       

      our company decided to move on Oracle SQL developer instead of using TOAD.

      therefore I faced some small things and might asking them here, would help me with getting acquaintance with Oracle SQL Developer.

       

      I am using version 4.2.0.17.089. and following are my concerns:

       

      1. In TOAD, it is simply possible to show and hide query result using F2. I googled a lot and couldn't find any equivalent short key for that. May someone help me with it?
      2. Using SQL Developer, to run more than one "SAVED" SQL file per DB connections is not possible. In toad I had the possibility to use parallel executions on different worksheets based on a DB connection. Is there any workaround for that? and if yes, may you please help?
      3. In TOAD, I had a possibility to group by my worksheets based on DB connection, so that once a DB connection is selected, all worksheets of respective DB connections are shown and not other DB connections worksheets. Is there any possibility to handle this in Oracle SQL Developer?
      4. Being inconvenient using Oracle SQL Developer, has lead our company to think buying licence from "Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer", in which I do not find it an alternative for TOAD. therefore, I would kindly ask for an advice.

      Thank you.

      BR,///Ali

        • 1. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions

          therefore I faced some small things and might asking them here, would help me with getting acquaintance with Oracle SQL Developer.

          The thing that will help you most 'with getting acquaintance' with the tool is to read the documentation.

           

          The Sql Dev User Guide discusses all of the functionality.

           

          Have you read it yet?

           

          Please post a link to the doc you are using and quotes from the sections of the doc you need help understanding.

          • 2. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
            top.gun

            I love SQL Developer, but it's usefulness with depend on what you want to use it for.

            To me - the deficiencies you described are not great enough to dismiss SQL Developer as your new development tool.

            • 3. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
              Blue Bird
              1. In TOAD, it is simply possible to show and hide query result using F2. I googled a lot and couldn't find any equivalent short key for that. May someone help me with it?

              When you run a query, result show below in Query Result tab. If you select multiple queries to run at once, then you will get below also many such resulting tabs. In below example I selected those two queries and pressed F9.

               

              In SQLDev (I currently use 18.3) I tihink you cannot close this tab with keyboard shortcut. Question is also if this is really necessary, because when you run next query this tab will be simply filled with new data, unless you pin the current tab. Then will open result in a new tab, what is handy if you for example want to compare results between these two queries.

              2. Using SQL Developer, to run more than one "SAVED" SQL file per DB connections is not possible. In toad I had the possibility to use parallel executions on different worksheets based on a DB connection. Is there any workaround for that? and if yes, may you please help?

              You can run many files (scripts) under same connection, like this using F5;

              In that case you won't get table grid but you will get classic print out for each query in Script Output tab, one after another:

              3. In TOAD, I had a possibility to group by my worksheets based on DB connection, so that once a DB connection is selected, all worksheets of respective DB connections are shown and not other DB connections worksheets. Is there any possibility to handle this in Oracle SQL Developer?

              This I think is not possible in SQLDev. Maybe some more skilled know if such functionality exist here.

               

              I hope you got some answers on your dilemmas. But you also how to take into consideration that this tool is free, while other two isn't, especially the first one.

               

              BB

              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                EdStevens

                Ali_Allawi wrote:

                 

                Hello Everyone,

                 

                our company decided to move on Oracle SQL developer instead of using TOAD.

                therefore I faced some small things and might asking them here, would help me with getting acquaintance with Oracle SQL Developer.

                 

                I am using version 4.2.0.17.089.

                 

                A very old version.  WHY?  The current version is 18.

                • 5. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                  EdStevens

                  Ali_Allawi wrote:

                   

                  <snip>
                  1. Being inconvenient using Oracle SQL Developer, has lead our company to think buying licence from "Allround Automations PL/SQL Developer", in which I do not find it an alternative for TOAD. therefore, I would kindly ask for an advice.

                  Hmm. Free product vs. paying for a license.  One would have to consider if the licensed ($$$) product really brings that much to the table.  Or if the perceived shortcoming of the free product are merely a result of not being familiar with it.  Perhaps the perceived shortcomings can be overcome by simply getting the latest version and spending more than just a couple of hours with it.  How long did it take you to really learn all the features of TOAD?  How much time have you spent with the latest version of SQL Dev?  How long do you expect to spend learning all the features of PL/SQL Developer, on top of paying $$$ for it?

                  • 6. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                    GregV

                    EdStevens wrote:

                     

                    Or if the perceived shortcoming of the free product are merely a result of not being familiar with it.

                    Yes that's often the case. Switching to a new tool often causes people to be unhappy as they have to get acquainted with it, starting from scratch. It's just a matter of little time in fact. SQL Developer almost does whatever other paid tools do.

                    • 8. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                      Mike Kutz

                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle wrote:

                       

                      __almost...or even more.

                      I'm curious as to what features does SQL*Developer have that TOAD does not.  (this is more for all readers, not just ThatJeffSmith).

                       

                      The ones that come to mind are all related to coding.  Also, I'm not sure if other IDEs have any of these features.

                      • Integration with a code repositories. (I assume all have this ability)
                      • custom code formatting
                      • code templates (type a few letters, and a particular snippet of code appears)
                      • quickly add the GROUP BY clause
                      • Cart feature (I'm still learning it)
                      • Query Builder
                      • Shift+F4 Brings up simple table information (shift+Space is caught by my OS setup)
                      • drag+drop procedure/function onto the worksheet produces the code to use it.
                      • import CSV and Excel files
                      • export Excel file (and CSV)
                      • distinct DB connection per new worksheet(*) -- I have this configured
                      • Unit Testing - (I haven't explored it yet)
                      • 3rd Party plugin (  for me:  oddgen  )

                       

                      (*) The problems observed by the OP (statement 2) is not worth the licensing cost.

                       

                      My $0.02

                       

                      MK

                      • 9. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                        EdStevens

                        Mike Kutz wrote:

                         

                        thatJeffSmith-Oracle wrote:

                         

                        __almost...or even more.

                        I'm curious as to what features does SQL*Developer have that TOAD does not. (this is more for all readers, not just ThatJeffSmith).

                         

                        The ones that come to mind are all related to coding. Also, I'm not sure if other IDEs have any of these features.

                        • Integration with a code repositories. (I assume all have this ability)
                        • custom code formatting
                        • code templates (type a few letters, and a particular snippet of code appears)
                        • quickly add the GROUP BY clause
                        • Cart feature (I'm still learning it)
                        • Query Builder
                        • Shift+F4 Brings up simple table information (shift+Space is caught by my OS setup)
                        • drag+drop procedure/function onto the worksheet produces the code to use it.
                        • import CSV and Excel files
                        • export Excel file (and CSV)
                        • distinct DB connection per new worksheet(*) -- I have this configured
                        • Unit Testing - (I haven't explored it yet)
                        • 3rd Party plugin ( for me: oddgen )

                         

                        (*) The problems observed by the OP (statement 2) is not worth the licensing cost.

                         

                        My $0.02

                         

                        MK

                        Quite true.

                        While I'm not familiar enough with any of the products to cite specifics, I'm pretty certain that if one dug hard enough, one could find a feature in any one product that is not in another.  Or that feature is a bit smoother to use in one vs. the other.  One has to ask is that particular feature really worth the cost of the product that DOES have it?

                        • 10. Re: Oracle SQL Developer vs TOAD -> Concerns and questions
                          andreml

                          Hi,

                          It's been a long road from Project "Reptor" to today.

                          In the meantime, I had put the SQL Developer completely into the corner because I had to get annoyed about too many things too long.

                          Unfortunately there was a time when the arrogance was greater than the performance. But thank God those times are over.

                          Meanwhile I use both tools, depending on the task.

                          What I like about Toad is the way the Schema Diff is implemented.

                          Although it has small flaws, it works reliably by and large.

                          Unfortunately, a few days ago I noticed that the Quest formatter completely messed up whan nested CASE are place.

                          I took the SQL Developer - and it worked.

                          I'm happy to have the luxury of being able to use both tools.

                          Let's see how long it will be necessary. :-)

                           

                          Best regards

                          Andre

                          1 person found this helpful