13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2019 4:58 PM by Dude!

Delayed content

Eslam_Elbyaly

Hi,

1- In this thread Re: How to get current record's column value - classic report(card template) I replied to fac586 with reply no.3 and modified it more than one time before he reply back with reply no. 4. If you noticed, he quoted some of my words that is not actually in reply 3 anymore because I modified it and that's before he replies to me. I do not know how he can see my reply before modifying it.

2- I think when I respond to a thread of mine that it is not displayed immediately on the list of threads( the main page of the space). -- not sure about it.

• 1. Re: Delayed content
          Dude!

withdrawn.

• 2. Re: Delayed content
            Eslam_Elbyaly

Dude! wrote:

Quoting can be nasty when it exposes your shortcoming or failure to the public, or when out of context. I usually try to avoid quoting as a matter of fairness. The only feasible solution available is to give your message a couple more thoughts prior to posting it. I think it would be helpful if the platform had an option to save a response or new thread as draft, but unfortunately, it doesn't.

I have no answer or experience why the display of your own responses is delayed. The system seems very slow and unresponsive these days. Such problem used to be more temporary in nature, at least in the past.

What I am saying is that he should not have seen my old responses because I modified it and I can see it after modification. Then how he has seen the old one! weird!

for example,

I wrote a reply and wrote "A" in it then edited it to write "B". He should be seeing "B" now but he is not. He is still seeing "A"! Or how did he quote "A" if it does not exist anymore!

• 3. Re: Delayed content
              Dude!

I guess I misunderstood your actual problem. But sorry, what makes you think that the content of "quoting" should automatically change when the original text changes? That's against all quoting "rationale" in my book. When you choose "quote" it's simply a copy and paste and highlighting.

• 4. Re: Delayed content
                Eslam_Elbyaly

That's not what I mean also.

suppose I created a wrote a reply with "A" written in it. Then I edited the reply and changed it to "B". That means that "A" does not exist anymore. When you browse the thread you should not be able to see "A" anymore. Therefore you can not quote it.

That's not what is happening here. He quoted "A" after I changed it to "B". That means that I see something and he is seeing another. I am seeing "B". He is still seeing "A". See the thread I referred to. He is quoting words not in the reply he responds to.

• 5. Re: Delayed content
                  EdStevens

Eslam_Elbyaly wrote:

That's not what I mean also.

suppose I created a wrote a reply with "A" written in it. Then I edited the reply and changed it to "B". That means that "A" does not exist anymore. When you browse the thread you should not be able to see "A" anymore. Therefore you can not quote it.

That's not what is happening here. He quoted "A" after I changed it to "B". That means that I see something and he is seeing another. I am seeing "B". He is still seeing "A". See the thread I referred to. He is quoting words not in the reply he responds to.

It's my understanding (I could easily be wrong) that we are not all reading from the same server, that there is some mirroring going on.  Consider this sequence:

1) you post a message. You happen to be directed to forum host server A.

2) your message gets replicated to forum host server B.

4) You update your original post, on server A.

3) Before your update can get replicated to B, Fred reads your message as posted on Server B, and quotes it in a response.

5) your update gets replicated to B.

6) fred's quote of your original gets replicated from B to A

• 6. Re: Delayed content
                    Dude!

Isn't it possible for someone to respond and quote your message before you re-edit your post?

Whether or not you see the response of another user prior to re-editing your post has nothing to do with quoting as such, but is a question of displaying or recognizing responses in a timely and correct order.

Perhaps there is momentarily a problem and the system does not display posts in a timely manner.

• 7. Re: Delayed content
                      Eslam_Elbyaly

EdStevens fac586 Dude!

See replies' dates. Different days.

• 8. Re: Delayed content
                        Dude!

So, what difference does it make? Please be more specific. Was there any quoting of something you never posted?

• 9. Re: Delayed content
                          fac586

I can assure you that there was nothing unusual, complex, magical, or sinister going on. I simply started drafting my response on Wednesday morning, put it aside due to more pressing demands on my time, and completed and posted it when opportunity allowed today.

• 10. Re: Delayed content
                            Eslam_Elbyaly

You're saying that the system is slow. I do not know if that is normal or not. I posted a reply yesterday and it's still not displayed yet. That's 24 hours and still not displayed. Is not there a way to tell Oracle about this problem?

• 11. Re: Delayed content
                              Dude!

Response times are sometimes slow, but it's about seconds, minutes and timeouts, not 24 hours. You will usually need to give more details when reporting an issue. If you cannot reproduce the problem, or other people do not experience the same, it will be more difficult to convince anyone to look into it, rather than assuming it's simply an error or mistake on your end.

• 12. Re: Delayed content
                                Eslam_Elbyaly

So, what do you suggest to do?

• 13. Re: Delayed content
                                  Eslam_Elbyaly

I just posted a reply says "any help?" to that thread and it's not displayed to the content list of the space home page. I will wait for it.

Master-Detail between a form on a table and an interactive grid

Edited:

BTW, I can notice that behavior only in the Oracle application express space and on my questions. But here, I can see my replies instantly even this one I am writing right now.