4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2019 3:43 PM by 2741871

Number of entities in HFM

In general, how many entities in HFM is too many?  We are on 11.1.2.4.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Number of entities in HFM
          ericerikson

Hi. That’s a loaded question, moving beyond functionality and into style and design. I’ve had 18,000 or so successfully and know of others with about 40,000.  But, if you have that many, you should ask is there a better way. If your entities are a combination of, say, legal entity and cost center, then you would be much better off moving the cost centers to a custom dimension. Design around the requirements comes into play.

Eric

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Number of entities in HFM
            CBarbieri

I agree with Eric, and I will offer you some suggested guidelines. I looked at 151 HFM applications and noted the number of members in each dimension. The Median to +1Std Deviation is normal. Anything smaller than the median is too small to worry about. Anything near or greater than the High is something you should avoid. As Eric said, I can imagine an application with 40,000 entities and it would run, but it could take a very long time to run. Typically each HFM entity takes around 0.5 second to calculate per period, so that many entities might take five hours to consolidate. The biggest factor in consolidation time is rules, not necessarily the number of members in each dimension, so if you had an application with a very high number of entities, every tiny rule optimization can count for a lot of time.

I also agree with Eric that a very high number of entities is likely due to cost centers in the entity dimension, which might fit better into a custom dimension. From a performance perspective, 40,000 members in a custom dimension with 400 entities can consolidate very quickly, assuming optimal rules. The application below with 75,000 members in Custom3 has 6,000 entities and consolidates in about 20 minutes. We spent two months optimizing thousands of lines of rules to do this however. They also have some very nice fast servers.

- Chris

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Number of entities in HFM

Thank you Chris!!  This is very helpful. 

• 4. Re: Number of entities in HFM

Thank you Eric for the information!