5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2019 6:44 PM by EdStevens

Problem with  SQL Developer 18.4 on linux

ceb92796-c12d-47ec-8dfd-e1b8f2877dd1

Hi Everyone

During the connection with my database i get a message.

"An error was encountered performing the requested operation:

IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002"

I found resolution this case on windows, and realized that was a listener fault.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Regards

Bartosz

• 1. Re: Problem with  SQL Developer 18.4 on linux
          Gaz in Oz

Have you actually got a Oracle database install and is the database up and running?

SQL Developer is a client tool that can be used to connect to an already installed and running Oracle db.

SQL Developer does not come with its own db.

• 2. Re: Problem with  SQL Developer 18.4 on linux
            EdStevens

ceb92796-c12d-47ec-8dfd-e1b8f2877dd1 wrote:

Hi Everyone

During the connection with my database i get a message.

"An error was encountered performing the requested operation:

IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002"

I found resolution this case on windows, and realized that was a listener fault.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Regards

Bartosz

Unfortunately, that error message from SQL Dev is rather generic.  The bane of a DBAs existence is applications what swallow original error messages and substitute their own less informative messages.  And here SQL Dev does just that.

Like all connection problems, it is a well-defined chain of defintions, specs, and events.  And the listener is way down that that chain.  So before we jump on our horses and ride off in all directions at once, let's calm down and start with the first link.

Show us a screen shot of your connection definition in SQL Dev.  With that we will know what the next bit of required information is.  Without that, any other suggestions are pure speculation on where the problem might lie.

============================================================================

BTW, it would be really helpful if you would go to your profile and give yourself a recognizable name.  It doesn't have to be your real name, just something that looks like a real name.  Who says my name is really Ed Stevens? Maybe I just like a certain TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247091/) But at least when people see that on a message they have a recognizable identity.  Unlike the system generated name of 'ed0f625b-6857-4956-9b66-da280b7cf3a2', which is no better than posting as "Anonymous".

refer to https://community.oracle.com/thread/3650233 -how to change nickname-

All you ed0f625b-6857-4956-9b66-da280b7cf3a2's look alike . . .

============================================================================

• 3. Re: Problem with  SQL Developer 18.4 on linux
              Rick vanEk

Got it also installed on linux, Fedora 29,  get following error after starting :

./sqldeveloper

Oracle SQL Developer

Copyright (c) 2005, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Available monitors: 1

Work Area: x:0, y:55, w:3200, h:1745

convert monitor[0] -> glass Screen

[x: 0 y: 0 w: 3200 h: 1800]

(java:17618): Gdk-ERROR **: 17:22:02.381: The program 'java' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.

(Details: serial 25911 error_code 141 request_code 138 minor_code 7)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/../../ide/bin/launcher.sh: line 1606: 17618 Trace/breakpoint trap   (core dumped) ${JAVA} "${APP_VM_OPTS[@]}" ${APP_ENV_VARS} -classpath ${APP_CLASSPATH} ${APP_MAIN_CLASS} "${APP_APP_OPTS[@]}"

anyone an idea where to start looking...

Gr.Rick

• 4. Re: Problem with  SQL Developer 18.4 on linux
                EdStevens

2952299 wrote:

Got it also installed on linux, Fedora 29, get following error after starting :

./sqldeveloper

Oracle SQL Developer

Copyright (c) 2005, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Available monitors: 1

Work Area: x:0, y:55, w:3200, h:1745

convert monitor[0] -> glass Screen

[x: 0 y: 0 w: 3200 h: 1800]

(java:17618): Gdk-ERROR **: 17:22:02.381: The program 'java' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.

(Details: serial 25911 error_code 141 request_code 138 minor_code 7)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/../../ide/bin/launcher.sh: line 1606: 17618 Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) ${JAVA} "${APP_VM_OPTS[@]}" ${APP_ENV_VARS} -classpath ${APP_CLASSPATH} ${APP_MAIN_CLASS} "${APP_APP_OPTS[@]}"

anyone an idea where to start looking...

Gr.Rick

No, you did not "get it also".  Your error is vastly different from the error posted by the OP, whose thread you hijacked.

Start your own thread, dealing with your own problem, and you will be far more likely to get some help.

And my comments to the OP about changing your screen name apply to you as well.