3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2019 5:03 PM by Glen Conway

Oracle SQL Developer 18.4 on Oracle Linux 7 crash immediately after start

Ran.R.

Hello,

when starting the OSD 18.4 after installation it worked than on the next time I've tried open it it starts and crash immediately after it opens

(I can see the welcome page but then it crashes and disappears).

I've tried to start it from a terminal and with debug mode and I get the following:

[oracle@sys-oragrid sqldeveloper]$ ./sqldeveloper.sh

Oracle SQL Developer

Copyright (c) 2005, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Java asserts are enabled!

(java:12141): Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'java' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.

(Details: serial 34983 error_code 141 request_code 139 minor_code 8)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/../../ide/bin/launcher.sh: line 1606: 12141 Trace/breakpoint trap   (core dumped) ${JAVA} "${APP_VM_OPTS[@]}" ${APP_ENV_VARS} -classpath ${APP_CLASSPATH} ${APP_MAIN_CLASS} "${APP_APP_OPTS[@]}"

[oracle@sys-oragrid sqldeveloper]$

I couldn't find any help other that a support doc of the same issue but regarding the JDeveloper

Any Help on that will be appreciated

Ran

• 1. Re: Oracle SQL Developer 18.4 on Oracle Linux 7 crash immediately after start
          abone

You could try start SQL Developer with option -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel, then change Look and Feel to Metal instead of default Oracle.

• 2. Re: Oracle SQL Developer 18.4 on Oracle Linux 7 crash immediately after start
            Ran.R.

Hello abone thanks for your reply.

tried that but still the OSD disappears immediately with the same error

I have no problem with the 17.4 version.

[oracle@sys-oragrid sqldeveloper]$ ./sqldeveloper.sh -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel

Oracle SQL Developer

Copyright (c) 2005, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

(java:20718): Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'java' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.

(Details: serial 34655 error_code 141 request_code 139 minor_code 7)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

/opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/../../ide/bin/launcher.sh: line 1606: 20718 Trace/breakpoint trap   (core dumped) ${JAVA} "${APP_VM_OPTS[@]}" ${APP_ENV_VARS} -classpath ${APP_CLASSPATH} ${APP_MAIN_CLASS} "${APP_APP_OPTS[@]}"

[oracle@sys-oragrid sqldeveloper]$

Ran

• 3. Re: Oracle SQL Developer 18.4 on Oracle Linux 7 crash immediately after start
              Glen Conway

If the LnF preference setting is not at fault, try restarting SQL Developer after removing or renaming the 18.4 user settings folder under ~/.sqldeveloper