4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 4:58 PM by Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Domain shows parked locally

Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Question originally posted by ccanavan on dyncommunity.com on 5 February 2019

I recently un-parked my domain (shadedskysiberians.com). The domain is resolving remotely (i.e. when I hit it from my cell phone, or I have a friend try to hit the server). But when I try to hit the server from the browser on my PC where I'm doing site dev it keeps coming back to the Dyn parked page. I have cleared cache (multiple times) tried different browsers same result. nslookup from the shell resolves the domain to the correct public IP. I'm kind of at a loss on this one. Anyone have any ideas or next steps? Should I re-park and then reset it?

• 1. Re: Domain shows parked locally
          Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by RotBlitz on dyncommunity.com on 5 February 2019

Your domain currently points at 73.25.61.34, a dynamic IP address from Comcast, and the nameservers are Dyn's. But it seems there is no webserver running. The HTTP request times out. Hours before I was able to visit your domain with a smartphone.

Anyone have any ideas or next steps?

Your first action should be to get the webserver running. Also check the local hosts file on your PCto ensure there is no entry for your domain overwriting DNS.

Should I re-park and then reset it?

No, this is rather counterproductive. Better waste your time otherwise.

• 2. Re: Domain shows parked locally
            Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by Ccanavan on dyncommunity.com on 5 February 2019

Thanks for the answer but this doesn't address the actual problem. So last night in an attempt to resolve the issue I restarted my gateway modem, and my router apparently the server didn't reconnect correctly which has been corrected. I can now hit the domain from outside of comcast. However, if I try to hit the website from inside of my own network using the domain I get the Dyn parked page. I'm not sure you'd be able to see this unless you are also on the comcast network (you may even need to be on the same subnet). As I said in my opening question I to see the correct DNS in nslookup.

• 3. Re: Domain shows parked locally
              Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by RotBlitz on dyncommunity.com on 5 February 2019

Sorry, I cannot see that my answer didn't address the actual problem. It was "spot on". Again...

However, if I try to hit the website from inside of my own network using the domain I get the Dyn parked page.

Compare the IP address output of these two commands:

1. nslookup shadedskysiberians.com.
              2. ping shadedskysiberians.com

If the IP addresses do not match, then you obtain the name resolution from somewhere else, not from the recursive DNS service you're using. One root cause could be entries of your domain in your local hosts file, as I said before. Name resolution order is: local resolver cache, hosts file, DNS, other (like WINS, NetBIOS).

I'm not sure you'd be able to see this unless you are also on the comcast network (you may even need to be on the same subnet).

Then it can be a Comcast network issue where we Dyn users cannot help with. You had to contact Comcast in this case.And there is still another possible reason: if you attempt to access a destination with the same source and destination IP address, then your router must support NAT reflection (loopback). If this is not the case, then you are out of luck with using your domain name, and you have to use the private LAN IP address of your service to connect to it. And the workaround is, guess what: you enter an entry in your local hosts file with the private LAN IP address of your service, like this:

1. 192.168.1.24  shadedskysiberians.com  www.shadedskysiberians.com

I also should mention that your website is up and running again now.

• 4. Re: Domain shows parked locally
                Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by Ccanavan on dyncommunity.com on 5 February 2019

Thanks! The second reply was much more helpful in the details. Last night (prior to the modem restart) nslookup, and ping were returning different IP results. I thought it was strange that the network address didn't seem to match Comcast or Dyn (it was a 207.xx.xx.xx address) but the nslookup was returning my public IP). I had ruled out the local computer cache because I was experiencing the same results on a multiple devices (PC, iPhone, and tablet). After the modem restart all of my IOS devices are now resolving correctly. But my PC is still misbehaving, Chrome works (after a cache clear), IE, and Firefox do not (after cache clearing) but that is obviously some kind of program or PC issue. So my thought is that there was a cache inside the Comcast modem (it's probably related the hotspot feature even though it was turned off).