5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2019 5:21 PM by Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?

Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by neiljerram on dyncommunity.com on 1 February 2019

I am not a bulk sender, but I run an email server on the host for which I have a domain name from dyn.com. I'd like to have MX and SPF records published for that domain, as well as the existing A record. How can I do that?

• 1. Re: How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?
          Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

originally posted by RotBlitz on dyncommunity.com on 1 February 2019

You visit your DNS hosting service to add MX and SPF (= TXT) records. You didn't say what your DNS hosting service is, and what kind of "domain name from dyn.com" you have, if it is an own registered domain or just a Dynamic DNS hostname like example.homelinux.net.

If you have a DNS hosting service from Dyn like Standard DNS or Managed DNS, then there is no problem to do this. For DynDNS Pro no SPF/TXT record is possible, just an MX record (Mail Routing).

If it is the DynDNS hostname of the e-mail address you registered here, then you are already done. You do not need an MX record. Your mailserver (and also your webserver) already responds on that address, so you are ready to receive e-mail.

1. telnet example.homelinux.net 25
          2. 220 example.homelinux.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
          3. VRFY name@example.homelinux.net
          4. 252 2.0.0 name@example.homelinux.net
          5. QUIT
          6. 221 2.0.0 Bye
          • 2. Re: How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?
            Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Many thanks RotBlitz. I was struggling to understand the landscape here, and your answer is helping to make that clearer.

My service is DynDNS Pro, currently with two hostnames, ossau.homelinux.net and arudy.homelinux.net. ossau.homelinux.net is the host with the email server.

If I think that I need SPF, is it possible for me to upgrade to the next cheapest service that allows that? My current DynDNS Pro service runs until April 2020.

My reason for thinking that I need SPF is that GMail has started rejecting some of my emails (to recipients with gmail.com addresses). (These emails are not in any sense spam; they are to do with organising a local choir.) My reading of the Google help is that advertising an SPF record would help with this. If you have a view on whether that is actually correct, I would appreciate hearing that too.

Many thanks, Neil

• 3. Re: How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?
              Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

It seems your concerns are about sending e-mail, not about receiving, because the latter should work already. You cannot send e-mail from a dynamic IP address, therefore you need an SMTP relay service, from your ISP or from a 3rd party. And yes, nowadays it is recommended to create an SPF record. If you send from a dynamic IP address or have no SPF record, you almost risk your sent e-mail being rejected.

What you need to create an SPF/TXT record is the registration of an own domain and a related DNS hosting service for this domain. The next cheapest solution is for free, but not at Dyn. At Dyn the next cheapest solution is Domain Registration and Standard DNS. Pretty clear that you cannot continue with any DynDNS hostnames like example.homelinux.net for this, but you must use your own registered domain name for e-mail addresses and DNS records.

Edit:
              Just checked your ossau hostname and its IP address, and it seems this is a static IP address already. So ignore what I said about sending from dynamic IP addresses above. You don't need an SMTP relay service then.

• 4. Re: How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?
                Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Thanks again RotBlitz, for your explanations and note in support of SPF. To confirm, yes, ossau.homelinux.net has a static IP.

But it sounds like you're saying that there's no way for me to get an SPF record published for my existing domain ossau.homelinux.net, because - Dyn cannot do an SPF publication for me, for that domain - if I used another provider, it would have to be with a different domain name, because all of the homelinux.net names are owned by Dyn.

Is that really right? Obviously it would be a big disruption for me to change my email address.

Many thanks - Neil

• 5. Re: How do I add SPF and MX records for my domain?
                  Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

But it sounds like you're saying that there's no way for me to get an SPF record published for my existing domain ossau.homelinux.net

Correct, this is what I said from begin. You have chosen the wrong service with DynDNS Pro for what you want to achieve.

Is that really right? Obviously it would be a big disruption for me to change my email address.

You don't need to change it. You still can continue to use your existing e-mail address, in addition, as long as you use DynDNS Pro, but without SPF record. For SPF and other records you need to register an own domain with a domain registrar plus need a DNS hosting service for it, as I already said. Such a combination would have been the right services for your purposes. And with the new own domain you also create and use related e-mail addresses. And with an own domain also other things become possible like using SSL certificates which are not possible with DynDNS Pro.