7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2019 11:02 PM by 3903641

Listener won't start anymore

I've had quite a bit of trouble connecting to a database connection. First I had to change the host name from "localhost" to "192.168.1.6" Right now I believe my listener isn't starting. I get the following error message when trying to connect to my once working database.

"An error was encountered performing the requested operation:

IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002"

I run the command prompt as administrator and type lsnrctl start and get the follow error messages:

Error listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.1.6(PORT=1521)))

TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

64-bit Windows Error: 49: Unknown error

This may be a silly question but would restarting the internet have anything to do with it since my HOST is an IP address?

I can connect to SQL Plus however.

Thank you for your help.

• 2. Re: Listener won't start anymore

Not that specific link but yes, I've tried to search. It's weird how it was working and now it's not.

• 3. Re: Listener won't start anymore

I've uninstalled 18c and installed 11g and it's working (for now). Maybe not the best practice but at least I'm not pondering for hours on end trying to find the solution when it's prudent that I can use it at the moment.

• 4. Re: Listener won't start anymore
              Blue Bird

Can you share your content of listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file? Maybe you have written something wrong there.

• 5. Re: Listener won't start anymore
                EdStevens

3903641 wrote:

I've had quite a bit of trouble connecting to a database connection. First I had to change the host name from "localhost" to "192.168.1.6" Right now I believe my listener isn't starting. I get the following error message when trying to connect to my once working database.

"An error was encountered performing the requested operation:

IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Vendor code 17002"

I run the command prompt as administrator and type lsnrctl start and get the follow error messages:

Error listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.1.6(PORT=1521)))

TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

64-bit Windows Error: 49: Unknown error

This may be a silly question but would restarting the internet have anything to do with it since my HOST is an IP address?

I can connect to SQL Plus however.

Thank you for your help.

You don't have a closing parentheses for (HOST=

Exactly what do you mean by "I can connect to SQL Plus"?

• 6. Re: Listener won't start anymore
                  EdStevens

3903641 wrote:

I've uninstalled 18c and installed 11g and it's working (for now). Maybe not the best practice but at least I'm not pondering for hours on end trying to find the solution when it's prudent that I can use it at the moment.

What a shame.  You missed a very good learning opportunity because you decided to tear your house down and rebuild it simply because you couldn't open one of the windows.

• 7. Re: Listener won't start anymore

It was a shame, though I was worried that my grades would suffer as I have a busy schedule already and couldn't afford the time. I think a quick fix was the most appropriate under this case.

It does bother me that I had to take this route.

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys.