12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2019 7:43 PM by fac586

Javascript Code Size Limit

niki71

Hello,

does anyone know if there is a character limit by executing javascript code?

Example: Dynamic Action -> Execute JavaScript Code (Code > 4045 characters) -> value too long error...

Thanks and regards

niki71

Apex 18.2

• 1. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
          Dharmendra Kumar-Oracle

Hi,

You can not save more than 4K character. You can place a file with the JS code and reference it or divide the code which is independent and place it to multiple actions.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
            fac586

niki71 wrote:

Hello,

does anyone know if there is a character limit by executing javascript code?

Example: Dynamic Action -> Execute JavaScript Code (Code > 4045 characters) -> value too long error...

In this case there is a limit of 4000 bytes. Move the JavaScript source code to an external file and just call the required method(s) from a stub in the DA editor.

• 3. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
              Scott Wesley

Then ask the question - why do I have so much JavaScript code under one dynamic action response? Could I go more declarative?

• 4. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                niki71

Thanks for your help.

Regards

niki71

• 5. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                  DSteele41

fac586

I'm having this same issue is

How is this accomplished

"In this case there is a limit of 4000 bytes.

Move the JavaScript source code to an external file and just call the required method(s) from a stub in the DA editor" 

specifically placing the Code in a "File" and call the required  method(s) from a stub in DA editor ?

Thank You

DSteele41

• 6. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                    fac586

DSteele41 wrote:

fac586

I'm having this same issue is

How is this accomplished

"In this case there is a limit of 4000 bytes.

Move the JavaScript source code to an external file and just call the required method(s) from a stub in the DA editor"

specifically placing the Code in a "File" and call the required method(s) from a stub in DA editor ?

Start by answering Scott's question: why are you trying to include more than 4KB of JavaScript in a dynamic action? What is the purpose of this code?

• 7. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                      Scott Wesley

This is better asked in a new question, linked to this one, but he's referring to a literal, old fashioned JavaScript file.

This file would live on the middle tier, with all its friends, and included in page attributes - check out the inline help for examples.

Here's an example of calling a JS function that's been included in the page.

• 8. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                        DSteele41

Scott Wesley @fac586

Thank You both for Replying

This JSCode Calculates Totals for Page Items in 2 Reports.... and I've found that using Javascript in Calculations to be much faster and reliable than doing it through PL/SQL

fac586 these calculations stem from the Report that you suggested be in a "Classic Report" or "Interactive Report"
                        which I'm looking to create a Stored Procedure for all the PL/SQL D.A.'s getting the Data..... currently they are in 1 D.A. with Several True Actions...
                        I'm 90% sure there is a better solution ...just not sure what

I will repost Question and tag you in it....if that's not proper please let me know...just attempting to let you see visually what I'm referring to.

DSteele41

• 9. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                          Scott Wesley

Some behaviours belong in JS, so they can be done solely on the client, but 4000 chars sounds excessive for that.

• 10. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                            fac586

DSteele41 wrote:

This JSCode Calculates Totals for Page Items in 2 Reports.... and I've found that using Javascript in Calculations to be much faster and reliable than doing it through PL/SQL

I find that very hard to believe. JavaScript is notorious for inexact floating point calculations.

fac586 these calculations stem from the Report that you suggested be in a "Classic Report" or "Interactive Report"

I only suggested a classic report with a custom report template, which has been demonstrated here.

which I'm looking to create a Stored Procedure for all the PL/SQL D.A.'s getting the Data..... currently they are in 1 D.A. with Several True Actions...
                            I'm 90% sure there is a better solution ...just not sure what

I am 100% certain there is a better solution, but I cannot provide it without a complete understanding of the problem, which I am not going to get from a set of incomplete App Builder screenshots,

• 11. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                              DSteele41

fac586
                              Looking at your Demonstration Report Link  https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=586005:143:14391860516774::NO:::

Is that a Classic Report  based on PL/SQL or PL/SQL returning SQL Query  or did you generate it strictly through HTML ?...If So How do you get it Neatly Formatted as You have it ?
                              as well... How would I reference my page items and data being pulled from database?

Hopefully I'm phrasing those questions correctly... My colleagues and I really like the way that is formatted and want to replicate

Thank You again for reply,

DSteele41

• 12. Re: Javascript Code Size Limit
                                fac586

DSteele41 wrote:

fac586
                                Looking at your Demonstration Report Link https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=586005:143:14391860516774::NO:::

Is that a Classic Report based on PL/SQL or PL/SQL returning SQL Query or did you generate it strictly through HTML ?...If So How do you get it Neatly Formatted as You have it ?
                                as well... How would I reference my page items and data being pulled from database?

Hopefully I'm phrasing those questions correctly... My colleagues and I really like the way that is formatted and want to replicate

This isn't relevant to the original topic of this thread. Let's continue with the previous question: Page Layout Columns Rows