2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2019 3:01 PM by jaramill

Oracle Database PL/SQL Developer OCP worth it?

BWells

Been thinking about this way too long and now Im curious if this path is still relevant?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Oracle Database PL/SQL Developer OCP worth it?
          L. Fernigrini

That would be entirely a personal opinion, based on personal experience and expectations, but I believe it is still valid.

I love programmng, love working with databases, and PL/SQL allows me to do both of them. There are lots of fancy new things to learn, front-end languages and frameworks are on top of requirements, but PL/SQL and SQL positions are still well paid and there is always a lack of good professionals with experience, at least that is what I believe.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle Database PL/SQL Developer OCP worth it?
            jaramill

BWells wrote:

Been thinking about this way too long and now I'm curious if this path is still relevant?

Thanks

I echo L. Fernigrini's statement as it being a "personal" decision.  The phrase...."Dance with the One That Brought You" applies.  I have stuck with my gut decision since I graduated college to enter into the field of databases and haven't looked back.  There will ALWAYS be a need to extract data via some sort of query language, and being that Oracle is the most embedded (no pun intended) on the job market, I feel comfortable in my skills set.  Granted it's not as popular (SQL and PL/SQL) as say other programming languages (Java, C#, etc...) but data analytics, Big Data, etc...are just growing.

Now my answer to whether or not getting a "Certification" in general is worth it?  ABSOLUTELY.  I have both the (now retired) OCE - SQL, and the OCA - PL/SQL, and I'm also making time to study for the OCP PL/SQL.  That way, it's great on the resume and LinkedIn profiles because it shows you know the language and it can be verified to potential employers.