5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2019 10:37 AM by Paavo

Oracle Source Control

Ruben V.

I'm looking at options to allow the developers on my team using Oracle to have a local of the DB and work allowing them apply the changes to the other environments.

It there a standard way to achieve this with the Oracle tools?

What is the recommended Source Control for Oracle DB?

Is there an integration with Git?

The version being used is - Oracle DB 11.2.0.4.0.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ruben Vilhena

• 1. Re: Oracle Source Control
          Mike Kutz

b7dcc3e3-aa68-49bf-9dc2-09f787b9157f wrote:

I'm looking at options to allow the developers on my team using Oracle to have a local of the DB and work allowing them apply the changes to the other environments.

It there a standard way to achieve this with the Oracle tools?

What is the recommended Source Control for Oracle DB?

Is there an integration with Git?

The version being used is - Oracle DB 11.2.0.4.0.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ruben Vilhena

Each developer can use his/her own copy of Oracle 18c XE.  (I recommend you upgrade your databases so they don't attempt to use 12c+ features)

If the 12GB data limit bothers you, you could convince the person in charge of the money to pay for Personal Edition.

11g XE (11.2.0.1) is too buggy and is missing a few features that 11.2.0.4 have.

Oracle probably does not recommend a Source Control.

My recommendation would be "the one that fits the business' requirements including having the ability to work with Oracle products"

FYI - You can create a local SVN repository with just SQL*Developer.

SQL*Developer supports both git and SVN.  I believe you can get add-ons/extensions for others.  (although - TFS seems to be problematic)

You'll run into some "oddities" if you are using GitHub. (explained in other threads)

MK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle Source Control
            cormaco

I can't recommend it because I'm not using it myself, but Liquibase does many of the things you want:

https://www.liquibase.org/

• 3. Re: Oracle Source Control
              John_K

As an aside, each developer having their own database is frought with issues - because whenever something is released you need to backflush it through all other instances, else how do you develop for interoperability? Similarly, with everyone developing in their own environment you only hit integration issues at the very end. In terms of source control - there are many, which works best for you may be different than which works best for me. The common being SVN and GIT - other options are things such as PVCS/CVS etc.

• 4. Re: Oracle Source Control
                Paavo

FYI: both sqldeveloper and Datamodeler can subversion for version control and with sqlcl you can script out repetitive tasks.

Also I recommend you to install also Application Express + ORDS because they are very good for building and provisioning db-centric www-apps.

rgrds Paavo

• 5. Re: Oracle Source Control
                  Paavo

Forgot to emphasize that with Apex you get pretty cool Team Development tools which you can use to massage feedbacks (built in feature to your apex web apps) from end users and plan your Milestones/Features/ToDos/Bugs etc..
                  Also the monitoring of developers is excellent, you get very good grip who is doing what and so on.
                  SqlDeveloper is (as well sqlcl) pretty handy when adjacently used with Oracle Application Express (apex) because you can e.g. deploy applications with it etc..
                  Also SqlDeveloper cart features let you to compare schemas etc. which is also pretty handy when you want to have strict control over your 'instances'.

rgrds Paavo