2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2019 11:59 AM by EdStevens

kernel driver not installed ?

EdStevens

Running vbox on my ubuntu 16.04 TLS laptop with no issues for a couple of years now.  Today, when I try to start one of my vm's, I get this:

So, following the instructions there:

ed@ed-Gazelle-00:~$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

[sudo] password for ed:

vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.

vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run

/sbin/vboxconfig

as root.

contents of the log file:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-47-generic/build -j4 modules

make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.

test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (                \

echo >&2;                                                       \

echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";           \

echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\

echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";      \

echo >&2 ;                                                      \

/bin/false)

mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*

make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0

@                                                                            

The man page for make says nothing about 'oldconfig' or 'prepare', and doing a little googling about it what I find sounds like it can be pretty dangerous to your system if you don't take a lot of precautions.

Advice?

• 1. Re: kernel driver not installed ?
          Dude!

Running vbox on my ubuntu 16.04 TLS laptop with no issues for a couple of years now.  Today, when I try to start one of my vm's, I get this:

Has anything changed on the host system, e.g. something that prevents the Virtualbox VM to access system libraries. You did not specify your host system, but you might just try to disable SELinux or Windows AV software to see if the problem persists.

If the above makes no difference, perhaps the following will:

sudo apt-get install dkms

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

reboot

If this doesn't help either and if nothing else changed maybe your laptop did. I'm only remote guessing here, but perhaps the CMOS battery died and the BIOS was reset to defaults, disabling some VT features.

• 2. Re: kernel driver not installed ?
            EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

Running vbox on my ubuntu 16.04 TLS laptop with no issues for a couple of years now. Today, when I try to start one of my vm's, I get this:

Has anything changed on the host system, e.g. something that prevents the Virtualbox VM to access system libraries. You did not specify your host system, but you might just try to disable SELinux or Windows AV software to see if the problem persists.

Yes, as it turns out the latest update of Ubuntu (I forget the number, don't have it with me) broke Vbox.  As I researched further I found a lot of traffic about it on virtualbox.org and an Ubuntu form. It appears that the latest test build of VBox has a fix, but it's not in GA yet.  I am working around by booting with the previous version..