1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2019 4:03 PM by wbfergus-1

How does licensing effect JRE (runtime environment only)?

wbfergus-1

The new licensing schemes for Java, coupled with the numerous variations of "java" (JDK, SDK, JRE, SE, etc.) and the getting directives from management types that can barely spell "java", let alone have any idea as to what it is or what it does, seem to causing mass confusion.

So here is my specific case that I would like an answer to. I am in a (US) Federal Government agency. Our unknowing "License Expert" got us locked into at least a one year license for Oracle Database EE, when we only really need SE. But, I am also developing and running Apex apps. So with Apex, I need a webserver, and being Government, we need some level of security. So the security seems to negate the possibility of EPG or the XML database "features". Glassfish is far too complicated and expensive for my uses (being a one-person shop). The Oracle Application Server has gone bye-bye, so that isn't an option for a webserver either. The only other option that I know of, that is certified to work and which allows some levels of security, is the Apache Tomcat webserver.

But Tomcat is a java-based webserver. So it requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), which has always been advertised as being a free product.

So my question is if the Tomcat webserver is running on a server without an Oracle Database running on that same server, do I need to get the JRE for the webserver licensed? Or should I start to make plans to quit developing Apex applications and begin the long grueling process of migrating everything over to a different environment, like (uck!), Microsoft? I am thinking about migrating our two Oracle databases into the Amazon cloud later this year, with the Tomcat webserver running locally. Exactly how does the new licensing requirements apply to my situation? The folks our "License Expert" has talked to either haven't explained things properly to him, or he has just completely misunderstood everything and gotten all worked up over nothing, as he has issued a memorandum for everybody to remove all installations of every piece of Java software, regardless of what version or variation it is.

Thanks,

Bill

• 1. Re: How does licensing effect JRE (runtime environment only)?
          wbfergus-1

Another aspect I thought of would be say installing the SQL Net drivers on a desktop, for connecting to the Oracle database on a server. Last I remember (last year when I got a new desktop), the only way to install the client software was through the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI), which is java-based as well.

So does this mean changes will coming down the road whereby all client installations will have to either be separately licensed, or will various IT groups have to remove all client software and force the developers, testers, etc to log directly onto the server, and then run their client software on the server?

Clear directives from Oracle on ALL of the aspects and implications of the new licensing scheme are woefully inadequate. I've been Googling and conducting other searches trying to find definitive answers, to no avail. The best I was able to find was:

(https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/javasesubscriptionfaq-4891443.html)  at the bottom, clearly states:

If I use another Oracle product that relies on the Oracle Java SE runtime, how will a Java SE Subscription affect me?
          If you use any Oracle product that requires Java SE, you are already licensed to use the Oracle Java SE runtime with, and for the sole purpose of running, that Oracle product.  Java SE Subscription provides licensing and support if you need to use the Oracle Java SE runtime for running products not licensed by Oracle. For more information see My.Oracle.Support Note 1557737.1 - (Support Entitlement for Java SE When Used As Part of Another Oracle Product – Requires Support Login).    

But even this doesn't explain the implications for client software.

Thanks for any clarification on this. It seems like all of this would have been talked about and thoroughly hashed out well before any final decision was made and all appropriate documentation was updated correctly to reflect all of the various issues and scenarios. Oracle used to be great at this. What's happened?

Bill