4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2019 2:12 PM by Jorgelina1

IG file browser column type

Eslam_Elbyaly

Apex 18.2.

Hi,

Page items has type "File browser" but I can not find that type for IG column. Is there a way to upload images into a blob IG column?

My IG is based on a table which has column IMG. The user needs to upload the image to the column of the IG.

• 1. Re: IG file browser column type
          Jorgelina1

If you have  a reason to use IG, instead of IR... the only thing I can think of... is to have an extra column with a button (there is someone else asking about how to add the button) to trigger (with DA) a dialog to allow the user to upload a Blob. Then refresh the IG.

Now, regarding the download of the file... there is a way, is about using a link, that you can mask as a button if you please, and use some pl/sql procedures/packages to download a file. There are several posts around that explain how to get this done, all you would have to do, is have a column to add this URL in order to click an download the file. At this moment, this is the only way I know you can achieve this in IGs... so if you think you could get away just using IR, I would recommend doing so, since it is a lot easier to achieve the upload/download of the file.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IG file browser column type
            Eslam_Elbyaly

Jorgelina wrote:

so if you think you could get away just using IR, I would recommend doing so, since it is a lot easier to achieve the upload/download of the file.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

I am using IG because I'm inserting data through it. And it's a master to a detail region.

Can IR used to insert or upload data?!

• 3. Re: IG file browser column type
              Eslam_Elbyaly

Maybe I could replace the master IG with a form and join it to the detail IG. It will take some coding but I think it could going to work eventually. Couldn't it?

• 4. Re: IG file browser column type
                Jorgelina1

Actually, no per se. You get "easy" the download part. For upload you would still have to use some popup triggered by the cell/column in order to upload through the "report" a file to each record. It is doable, but takes some coding.

if you allow your users to upload just 1 file (if they need more than one, then probably a report is not the solution), use a html/js button/link to fire a DA to open a popup with a file browser item, and then to assign to the ID of the record. When popup is closed, you can refresh the report.

This is also possible to achieve with an IG...

The problem is with the download part, a download link/button requires a lot more coding in IG than in IR (is just a column in IR).

It basically consists on a main application process, a database process (in a package or procedure), a "link" embedded in a button or not. Is not crazy coding/working, but requires adjustments in order to achieve it. As I mentioned before, there are several posts/blogs where this procedures are explained for normal reports that can be achieved for IGs.

Regards.