4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 7:38 PM by Blue Bird

Oracle forms on Oracle Express 11gR2?

Blue Bird

Hi to all here,

I have few questions about Oracle Forms as complete beginner here:

1. I never used/install Oracle Forms before and I would like to install Forms version 11 (11.1.2.2.0) and I would like to know if I can install it on Oracle Express 11gR2 database on Windows 10 x64? If I can't, then would be probably better to install never version 12c. Which one do you recommend to install or is necessary? It would be local just to learn to use / explore.

2. Is it easier or harder to install and configure Oracle Forms then Oracle Application Express 5.x?

3. I know APEX 5.x, how to install and use it. If you know both APEX and Forms, can you please give me some short comparison which is easier to learn and use to start something new from scratch?

4. What is long term perspective for Oracle Forms regarding to APEX? I heard that APEX is not the best choice for couple of 100 forms. Is this correct?

5. If I would install for example Oracle 12c on my local PC, can I use both Forms and APEX on the same server at the same time?

6. Can you recommend some good free (for start) web sites for self learning Oracle Forms (videos, tutorials) for complete beginner with forms?

7. Can you recommend me also some other good forums about Oracle Forms other than this, with more active users?

Thank you,

BB

• 1. Re: Oracle forms on Oracle Express 11gR2?
          cormaco
          1. I never used/install Oracle Forms before and I would like to install Forms version 11 (11.1.2.2.0) and I would like to know if I can install it on Oracle Express 11gR2 database on Windows 10 x64? If I can't, then would be probably better to install never version 12c. Which one do you recommend to install or is necessary? It would be local just to learn to use / explore.

Forms Builder is installed on the Client, not in the database.

As beginner, you should go with the latest version of Forms. Also Forms 11 is not supported for Windows 10.

2. Is it easier or harder to install and configure Oracle Forms then Oracle Application Express 5.x?

In my experience Oracle Forms installation is much, much harder, especially Forms 12.

3. I know APEX 5.x, how to install and use it. If you know both APEX and Forms, can you please give me some short comparison which is easier to learn and use to start something new from scratch?

Both are complex and powerful tools but have very little in common. Simple applications can be created by wizards in both.

4. What is long term perspective for Oracle Forms regarding to APEX? I heard that APEX is not the best choice for couple of 100 forms. Is this correct?

Forms technology is now 40 years old but Oracle keeps supporting it. I don't know about the second question

5. If I would install for example Oracle 12c on my local PC, can I use both Forms and APEX on the same server at the same time?

Yes

6. Can you recommend some good free (for start) web sites for self learning Oracle Forms (videos, tutorials) for complete beginner with forms?

Use google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=oracle+forms+tutorial

7. Can you recommend me also some other good forums about Oracle Forms other than this, with more active users?

I know of no forum with more active users.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle forms on Oracle Express 11gR2?
            Blue Bird

Thanks for your answers Cormaco. So then forms probably doesn't run inside DB like APEX, it's just connect to a database. I will install Oracle 12c or newer then.

1. So, let's say that I would have older PC (not Windows10) could I then also use Express Edition of database? For Example now is out already 18 XE can be then used Forms12 with this version?

2. I also heard about Designer where you design all tables for a database. Is this designer already (or still?) part of Forms12? Can you say some word about it?

• 3. Re: Oracle forms on Oracle Express 11gR2?
              cormaco

Blue Bird schrieb:

Thanks for your answers Cormaco. So then forms probably doesn't run inside DB like APEX, it's just connect to a database. I will install Oracle 12c or newer then.

1. So, let's say that I would have older PC (not Windows10) could I then also use Express Edition of database? For Example now is out already 18 XE can be then used Forms12 with this version?

2. I also heard about Designer where you design all tables for a database. Is this designer already (or still?) part of Forms12? Can you say some word about it?

Maybe you should read this to get a better idea of the Forms architecture:

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/formsandreports/deploy-forms/introduction-oracle-forms-services.htm#FSDEP108

Forms 12 always requires a Weblogic server to execute the generated Forms modules, even in a development environment.

You can use Forms 12 in combination with Oracle 18XE.

The full certification matrix is here:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/fmw-122130-certmatrix-3867828.xlsx

Oracle Designer is discontinued and no longer part of Forms.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Oracle forms on Oracle Express 11gR2?
                Blue Bird

Thanks for your answers and usefull links Cormaco.