3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2019 3:26 PM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle

media player in oracle forms

Eng. Tawfik Einea
        • 1. Re: media player in oracle forms
          Michael Ferrante-Oracle

These are all very nice examples you continue to post,  but I have a few questions/comments:

1.  Are these your examples (you wrote the code) or are you just re-posting from somewhere else?

2.  Is this your site?  https://oracle-forms-apex.blogspot.com/  If it is yours, it would be nice if you included some information about yourself.  The profile page doesn't say much.

3.  It would be nice if you would do these using the latest Forms version.  Doing so might encourage others not currently using it to upgrade.

4.  It might be helpful if when you post examples here (in the forum) you include some information about the example.  Explain what the demo does, what might be required to use it, and even explain what it cannot do (if that applies).

• 2. Re: media player in oracle forms
            Eng. Tawfik Einea

I'm very happy to find someone who shares my oracle forms interests..

my answers are:

1.  Are these your examples (you wrote the code) or are you just re-posting from somewhere else?

<<<

most of them, no not my code.

We (in my company) struggle to survive with our oracle forms ERP system, all of our clients are telling us that our application lacks many new features of the modern web applications..

and because going to APEX or any other web based technology would be too expensive for us, because our ERP system is a huge one, we decided to stay in oracle forms environment and try to enhance it, to modernize it..

I found too many ready made java/javafx components on the web, and in many areas..

when I find a component that gives the application a new benefit, I will download the java code(normally desktop java application), and then convert it into a java bean, and then use it in my forms application.

I always include a link to the original web site from which I've downloaded the source code

>>>

2.  Is this your site?  https://oracle-forms-apex.blogspot.com/  If it is yours, it would be nice if you included some information about yourself.  The profile page doesn't say much.

<<<

Yes, it is my website

sure, I will.

>>>

3.  It would be nice if you would do these using the latest Forms version.  Doing so might encourage others not currently using it to upgrade.

<<<

we are using 11g, and soon we will upgrade to 12c

>>>

4.  It might be helpful if when you post examples here (in the forum) you include some information about the example.  Explain what the demo does, what might be required to use it, and even explain what it cannot do (if that applies).

<<<

I thought the video clips were self explanatory.

my videos always show one function, and to the point (like hyperlinks, media player, notifications..)

I'd like to answer any type of questions on my posts, I would be very happy to find new developers who share my interests in using java in oracle forms

>>>

again, thanks for being interested in my posts

• 3. Re: media player in oracle forms
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Regarding "modernization", you are on the right track using Java Beans and PJCs.  But also be aware that Forms 12 includes many new features that can be used to improve the appearance of your application, make it "smarter", and improve performance. 

Also, and this is very important to understand;  the Oracle Forms technology is not for web application development.  Trying to compare a Forms application with HTML/JS is pointless because their purpose is not the same.  It would be like comparing an airplane to a helicopter.  Both are vehicles for air travel, but each is designed for a completely different purpose.  Oracle Forms is not intended for customer facing applications like a shopping cart, news/informational documents, social media, or other similar applications.  Oracle Forms is intended to allow office users to input data into the companies database.  Therefore, having pretty pictures, videos, and other flashy UI components is mostly inappropriate for the type of applications you would be creating with Oracle Forms.  You are not going to create the next Twitter, Facebook, or OTN Forum pages with Oracle Forms.  That just isn't its purpose.  For those you would use web application technologies, of which Forms is not.

In addition to providing the best support for transaction processing, Oracle Forms exposes a variety of ways in which the application can integrate with the user's machine and/or the server.  This is not possible with web applications.  A web application is restricted to remaining within the browser.  It is incapable of talking to the user's OS, software installed on it, or hardware attached to the user's machine.  Such features are what help to make the right choice when evaluating application development technologies that require desktop integration.  Understand that such integration is only one of the many features that Forms offers over web technologies.

That said, today's web technologies are critical in the IT industry when used for the right purpose.

For more information about what new features have been added to Forms 12 since v11, please refer to the Forms 12c New Features Guide.  Many new features are simple to implement and very low risk.

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms/documentation/techlisting12c-2855390.html

1 person found this helpful