14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 4:48 AM by 3808468

OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Dear Experts,

Planning this setup on windows server 2012 r2, same setup will be work for windows server 2016 ?
      ================================== 
      Informatica Power Center 10.1.0 with  DAC 11g  MS SQL Server 2012
      OBIEE 12.2.1.4.0
      OBIEE 11.1.1.9.0 with  BI APPS 7964

=======================================

Please send your suggestion,

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
          Gianni Ceresa

The answer is here: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/fusion-certification-100350.html

Look at the certification matrix for both BI Apps 7.9.6.4 and OBIEE 12c 12.2.1.4 (as they are separate products).

If both are certified for Windows Server 2016 you will be good, if one of the 2 isn't certified I wouldn't do it as you will end up with an unsupported system (if it works and you manage to install).

Making it short: BI Apps 7.9.6.4 certification matrix doesn't mention Windows 2016, it stops at 2012, therefore it doesn't seem to be supported (didn't read small notes to see if there is something there inside).

• 2. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
            Christian Berg

. Adding to what Gianni said - OBIA 7.9.6.4 is old and won't ever be certified for Windows 2016. It wasn't out when 7.9.6.4 came out and since OBIA has moved on in the meantime...that's software cycles for you. Outdated things don't get validated and certified without end.

• 3. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Thanks for your reply @ Gianni ceresa!!!

I am new to admin part..

I am planning on dual headed installation, i have seen certifications

OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x with OBIA 7964 supports 2012

OBIEE 12.2.1.4.0 supports                          2012, 2016-----? if I go with 2016 will it supports for this apps and database

informatica and DAC supports                     2012

ms sql server supports                                2012, 2014----? if I go with 2014 will it supports for ETL, DAC and OBIEE

here I am picking the latest versions of Operating systems from each, will it work without any issues ?

Thanks!!!

• 4. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                Christian Berg

3808468 wrote:

OBIEE 12.2.1.4.0 supports 2012, 2016-----? if I go with 2016 will it supports for this apps and database

If you only run OBIEE 12.2.1.4 on Win 2016 you will be fine. OBIEE doesn't care where the data comes from.

3808468 wrote:

ms sql server supports 2012, 2014----? if I go with 2014 will it supports for ETL, DAC and OBIEE

Are you talking about MS SQL Server 2014 running on Win 2012? Or MSSQL 2012 on Win 2012? Or MSSQL 2012 on Win 2016?

MS SQL doesn't care where the data goes to.

Your problem is the "OBIA" part. So the ODI and DAC part "on the middle". Not the database. Not OBIEE.

Put MS SQL Server 2014 on Windows 2016 and OBIEE on Win 2016. Put "OBIA" on Win 2012.

• 5. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Thanks for the update Christian Berg!!!

This is the below circle you have given. As per your experience what is the best way, installing all the software's on the same platform like  windows 2012 r2 or going below is the best option ?

1) MS SQL Server 2014 on Windows 2016

2) OBIEE 12.2.1.4 is on Win 2016

3) Informatica & DAC is on Windows 2012 r2

4) OBIA and OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x on Win 2012 r2

Thanks !!!

• 6. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                    Christian Berg

Uhhh what is point number 4?!

OBIA is your number 2 plus your number 3. Not sure what your fourth option is supposed to be.

• 7. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                      Gianni Ceresa

To add extra wording to Christian reply:

OBIA is Informatica + DAC + OBIEE 11g + the warehouse

You have your warehouse in your MS SQL Server, good.

So the "rest" of OBIA (Informatica + DAC + OBIEE 11g) can be all together in the same place, mainly because that OBIEE 11g will not receive requests as your users will be using your OBIEE 12c.

So get rid of 4) as that's into 3).

• 8. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                        Christian Berg

Thanks for the additional words Gianni ;-)

• 9. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Dear Christian,

Following this OBIA 796: Support of BI Applications 7.9.6.3 & 7.9.6.4 with OBIEE 12.2.1(12C) (  Doc ID 2087632.1  )

Dual headed installation.

When I was spoke with the oracle support they were mentioned this setup compared to previous setup here we required 1 machine extra

• 10. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Thanks for your reply Gianni Ceresa!!

When I was spoke with the oracle support they were mentioned below setup

a) 4 machines required

=============================================

1) MS SQL Server 2014 on Windows 2012r2

3) Informatica & DAC is on Windows 2012 r2

4) OBIA and OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x on Win 2012 r2

==================================================

As per your comments we can install complete setup  (Informatica, DAC, OBIA(HR analytis) & OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x) on one machine. Looks good.

will it work out without any issues & the complete setup is on same machine will it required more RAM size.

I noted below point from your comment : OBIEE 11g will not receive requests as your users will be using your OBIEE 12c

b) 3 machines required

=======================================================

1) MS SQL Server 2014 on Windows 2012r2

3) Informatica, DAC, OBIA(HR analytis) & OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x on Win 2012 r2

Thanks!!!

• 11. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                              Gianni Ceresa

It's true that if you want OBIEE 12c with OBIA (any OBIA version) you need a separate install of OBIEE (so it isn't about upgrading the one out of the box).

That's what your machine 2) is for.

But doesn't mean you need to split Informatica & DAC away from OBIEE 11g. And because that OBIEE 11g isn't used I wouldn't plan way more RAM than that. It just needs the RAM to start and be up, nothing else as it will make no work. So let's count 1-2Gb for OBIEE 11g, must not be a big issue to have that spare RAM on the machine 3).

• 12. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014

Thanks for your  beautiful comments Gianni Ceresa

3) Informatica, DAC, OBIA(HR analytis) & OBIEE 11.1.1.9.x on Win 2012 r2----will it supports------->SQL server 2014 ?

OBIEE 12.2.1.4 supports sql server 2012,2014,2016---> this part is OK

The below part is bit confusion

OBIEE 11.1.1.9.0 cert Matrix:-  Mentioned supports with sql server 2012  but It's not mentioned about Ms sql server 2014.

OBIA 7964 Cert Matrix:-           Mentioned supports with sql server 2012 and Ms sql server 2014.

Thanks

• 13. Re: OBIEE, OBIA, INfo, Dac, sql server on 2014
                                  Gianni Ceresa

Good point: no idea if it isn't mentioned in the OBIEE 11.1.1.9 certification matrix because of "timing" (both 11.1.1.9 and SQL Server 2014 have been released almost at the same time, therefore no time to test and certify it).

This is maybe something where people having OBIA itself could have a better answer

PS: I asked for this thread to be moved to Business Intelligence Applications as it's an OBIA topic and would require inputs from these users.