1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2019 1:21 PM by RotBlitz

A CNAME Record for a DynDNS-Host?

39d687ad-de93-4f21-87aa-0eded00a4cd9

Hello all,

I currently have a Dyndns.org hostname which is automatically updated by my router whenever it is being assigned a new IP by the internet provider.

Let's say it is "myhostname.dyndns.org".

Now, for my specific setup, I need a new subsomain which will then still refer to the same dyndns host. e.g.

"onlineoffice.myhostname.dyndns.org" which will refer to "myhostname.dyndns.org".

I think what I am looking for is a CNAME record. But I have not been able to identify such an option in the menu of my Dyn.com account.

Can someone point me towards that option? Oracle support has not been of much help as they tried to explain how to set up a dyndns host in the first place.

Kind regards,

Martin

• 1. Re: A CNAME Record for a DynDNS-Host?
          RotBlitz

Hello Martin,

You cannot create a CNAME record for a Dynamic DNS hostname from Dyn, just an A, AAAA, and MX record.

However, you can check the Wildcard option for your hostname which creates a wildcard alias record:

If you do so, onlineoffice.myhostname.dyndns.org or anything.myhostname.dyndns.org will all point to myhostname.dyndns.org, just as CNAMEs would do.

Oracle support has not been of much help as they tried to explain how to set up a dyndns host in the first place.

Yes, this seems to be typical to just respond with the standard text of their knowledge base articles, without any spot on, and I also received such useless responses on support tickets.  This significantly decreases their reputation in my mind...