7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2019 8:48 PM by Dude!

Unarchive a discussion?

Jesper-Oracle

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was browsing the different topics. I found my area - Java Virtual Machine and thought that I could contribute by answering a few questions. However there seems to have been very little activity in that part of the forum and all the questions have been archived. Is there a way to unarchive the questions so that they can be answered?

If I were a Java user and wanted to find some help, seeing the 1-2 year old questions without answers would likely make me go look somewhere else. If we want this forum to be alive we shouldn't archive unanswered questions.

Thanks,

/Jesper

• 1. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
          Timo Hahn

Well, at the moment threads are archived after 90 or 120 days without any action.

There is no way to unarchive a thread. You can open a new thread and reference the old one if you like to pick up an archived thread.

Personally, I think to answer an archived thread doesn't make much sense. If many users would have had the same question, there would have been more traffic and the question would not have archived in the first place. The OP is long gone and I doubt that he/she comes back because of an answer. After 1-2 years chance is that there is a new version of the product available with different problems.

Timo

• 2. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
            Dude!

Automatic archiving happens when a thread has no update for 120 days and was introduced as a countermeasure when spammers attacked the forums several years ago.

The archiving and hence locking of threads, to my experience, however, isn't the main reason for the drastic decrease of overall participation during recent years. Most likely there isn't a single reason alone, but I think there are some root causes and changes that have contributed to the current development.

For example, the Hamburger menu initially showed all available forums when introduced, but then was later modified to include different communities, hence adding complexity and dropping an important menu hierarchy along with the change. It's misleading that the menu shows some forums, creating the impression other forums don't exist.

People often don't know what they should be looking for or what happens to interest them but realize what they want or don't want when presented with options. It's a concept that also applies to a user interface. A community web page that requires to search for hidden forums isn't what people expect. People already used Google to land at the Oracle website.

I think community management needs to find out what participants would like to accomplish. You can't get this by analyzing or tracking what people do when confined to limited options. The requirement to search the site to locate discussion forums is hardly going to increase participation.

• 3. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
              EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

<snip>

I think community management needs to find out what participants would like to accomplish. You can't get this by analyzing or tracking what people do when confined to limited options. The requirement to search the site to locate discussion forums is hardly going to increase participation.

Indeed. 

There once was railroad with a train going through (but not stopping at) a certain town at 4:00 pm.  People petitioned the railroad to have the 4:00 make a stop at their town.  The railroad executives studied the proposal and concluded there was no justification for stopping because it was observed that every time the 4:00 went through, there was no one waiting for it.

• 4. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
                Dude!

• 5. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
                  Jesper-Oracle

The purpose of answering the questions at this point is not mainly to provide an answer to the OP, but rather to show new users that there is some new life in the forum. There were in total three posts in the JVM forum last year - none of them got any answers. If I were a new user (which I am - although I don't have any questions of my own) seeing the current state I would turn around in the door and seek another forum to post my questions. Which I guess is what I need to do as well if I actually want to contribute to something. I seriously doubt there will be any new questions asked in the JVM forum.

By the way, if someone has the power to rename the forums it would make a lot more sense to call the parent project "Java Virtual Machine" and the child currently named so "HotSpot JVM". The parent is currently named HotSpot which makes no sense since it contains several categories that are completely unrelated to HotSpot.

• 6. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
                    Jim-D

Hi Jesper!

I suggest you create a post in Oracle Community Ideas for your suggestion to rename the forums.

• 7. Re: Unarchive a discussion?
                      Dude!

I can't speak much for the JAVA forums and used Google to find the space.

Have you seen Java

There's a picture and address of the community manager. Since you both work at Oracle...