3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2019 2:19 PM by iArchSolutions-Joe

EPM 11.1.2.3 on 3rd party Cloud

Hello Everyone,

I have a basic question? Currently I have EPM 11.1.2.3 on prem version . I would like to understand is it possible to have EPM 11.1.2.3 on other cloud like 3rd party cloud (Iaas) instead of Oracle cloud? Will 11.1.2.3 work in cloud or cloud version of EPM will only work in cloud?

My understanding is its just another server sitting in cloud in a different datacenter compared to server residing in On Prem Datacenter so EPM 11.1.2.3 should work on cloud. I am aware that Oracle provide Saas Solution for EPM cloud but i wanted to try something really quick moving to cloud..

Please correct me if I am wrong.

• 1. Re: EPM 11.1.2.3 on 3rd party Cloud
          Madhusudhan.Meesala

My understanding is its just another server sitting in cloud in a different datacenter compared to server residing in On Prem Datacenter so EPM 11.1.2.3 should work on cloud. I am aware that Oracle provide Saas Solution for EPM cloud but i wanted to try something really quick moving to cloud..

Wherever it is, whether it is cloud/virtual VM/physical server we need server to install EPM. we can install 11 version of EPM on cloud. It may any of the following Oracle cloud/IBM cloud/Amazon cloud or Azure etc.

Thanks,

Mady

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EPM 11.1.2.3 on 3rd party Cloud
            user13639446

Hi,

I have come across the below one. Please check.

https://www.keyperformanceideas.com/plantastic/

• 3. Re: EPM 11.1.2.3 on 3rd party Cloud
              iArchSolutions-Joe

Yes - a public cloud is "just someone else's computer."  Oracle does not limit or dictate where you run your Oracle EPM or any other Oracle products.  That being said, you can use AWS, Azure, Oracle's 2nd Gen OCI (best hardware pricing by the way if you're interested ping me), or Joe's homegrown cloud provider (not me Joe of course).  The key is to understand the cloud architecture and designs and most importantly migration process to get from on-prem hardware to a 3rd party IaaS provider.  We do this constantly for customers large and small. The best advice I can give quickly is to look at your own corporate IT strategy for cloud computing (if you have one) and ensure the network connectivity is ample along with security S.O.P's are able to bet met for the provider of your choice.  After all, Oracle EPM data is typically financial in nature and you should be first and foremost concerned about network and data security.  After that, you can start making decisions.

There's all kinds of ways to migrate, you can net new rebuild a software stack of Oracle EPM/Hyperion 11.1.2.x on an IaaS provider and migrate your apps over as if it's a 3rd, 4th, etc. environment then retire the original, or you can do full on-premise to IaaS provider based migrations where the servers themselves are ported and no data or application artifacts are touched.  All options have their pro's and cons and we've done dozens of each with varying levels of complexity and lessons learned.  Personally I would stay away from ANY provider which is "hosting" an Oracle EPM/Hyperion platform for a monthly fee.  You're basically paying them to stand up and do what can be cost effectively done without that much risk or work form your own organization.  If you need to outsource the management of your hosted Oracle EPM/Hyperion environment after the fact that's one thing but I would never advise a client to pay a single fee for their EPM/BI stacks all-in.  That's where hosted vendors make their money, they offer EPM/Hyperion/Bi hosted environments on AWS, Azure/OCI, etc... and charge you a premium for the management of it as well as tacking on a profit margin for the hosted service itself.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions on Cloud roadmap, migration, etc. for Oracle EPM/Hyperion, BI or anything else. we will be happy to share our experiences and info in this arena!

PS - if you are attending the ODTUG conference Kscope19 this year. I'm doing a presentation on exactly this topic:  8705:Find Your Path to the Cloud  If you need any more info!

1 person found this helpful